Menu

MOH questions

Tiffani

I'm thinking of making a switch back to MOH. I've been using SL for several years mainly b/c we went through MOH 1 & 2 and then "there were none".;)

But after several years of SL I'm ready to go back. I've been reading that MOH can be used for high schoolers. How?

My 2nd question: Is MOH going to be a stand-alone history program once all 4 volumes are completed? I know it teaches American History with World History, so is anyone planning on using an additional American History program? I know Bright Ideas sells All-American History, I've heard it's great. But I'm wondering what Linda's thinking was in this area. If I plan on sticking w/ a 4-yr. history cycle will we get enough American History?

Hope this is clear.Thanks!!!!

I'm thinking of making a switch back to MOH. I've been using SL for several years mainly b/c we went through MOH 1 & 2 and then "there were none".;)

But after several years of SL I'm ready to go back. I've been reading that MOH can be used for high schoolers. How?

There is an MOH high school group you can ask. My oldest isn't high school yet, but I am going to have her listen into MOH, then read Guerber on her own for 7th, and 8th grade. I am considering using SWB texts as a spine with MOH for high school.

My 2nd question: Is MOH going to be a stand-alone history program once all 4 volumes are completed? I know it teaches American History with World History, so is anyone planning on using an additional American History program? I know Bright Ideas sells All-American History, I've heard it's great. But I'm wondering what Linda's thinking was in this area. If I plan on sticking w/ a 4-yr. history cycle will we get enough American History

Actually this has changed. Short story (I can tell you the long version if you like) is they are going to have a 4 year program that is focused on World history. That said MOH 2 and 3 only have 28 weeks of lessons. Just with those two you have 16 weeks extra. Then if you were to do history 4 or 5 times a week instead of just the three lessons it is laid out in, you can fit a lot in. I did the math once and I think you were able to do MOH 1, 2, 3 and 4 along with All American History 1 and 2 in 4 years if you did 5 lessons a week.

My personal plan is just to plug along at our own pace, then when we are approaching 12th grade I will decide if I should pull them from the rest and do something like Notgrass, or if what we have done will cover what they need for college. But I am not concerned with the 4 year cycle. It took us 7 years to finish our first. :D (Ok still finishing it this year, or 7th year, but we only have about 6 weeks left, so this is the last year.)

Heather

Have you read on the MOH website about using it for high schoolers? Linda has some ideas on there. Also on the MOH highschool yahoo email loop--I asked about this about a year ago & Linda responded with lots of helpful info.

Have you looked into Illuminations? Bright Ideas Press has put together a highschool course using MOH.

The verdict is out for me right now. Truth be told, I wish I had started back with MOH 1 when my kids were 7th and 5th, instead of doing SL 5. Instead I started it this year (8th & 6th), and MOH 1 is too basic for my history-loving oldest, but perfect for my 6th grader. I will continue it for her, one level per year & figure out high school later (she'll do US history & MOH 4 in high school, not sure what else).

My son took a look at MOH 2 and said he'd like to read it next year but would also like to consider other options--so we may yet do MOH for his high school. If so, my plan is to do 2 for 9th, 3 for 10th, US for 11th, and let him either just read MOH 4 for 12th for half a credit (no projects etc... & maybe just a paper or 2), or listen to the audio, or something like that. I don't want to overload him but he might enjoy it. Illuminations plans on kids doing the projects, timelines, mapping etc... My kids hate the timelining & mapping, so I'm basically just making sure they understand where things are by going to the map often etc..., and I'm letting them just notebook once a week or pick an activity (they don't like the ones I pick!)

We add in extra--this year we used Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World (LOVE this book--MFW uses it in their 9th grade), and some other supplemental books. If we continue with MOH, we'll add in other books for more reading for my oldest--even with the longer readings in MOH 2, I don't think it would take longer than 20 minutes & that's just not enough content-wise for a kid who loves history. I want books he can choose from to look into topics he's interested in, plus research online & at the library etc... I wish Illuminations had more of those kinds of options, but the lit. selections look good.

I'm also considering MFW right now for next year, or maybe stretched over 2 years with some supplemental books, maybe MOH...I don't know, I need to get to a conference!

So...all that to say that I think MOH for high school can work in some situations, might be a stretch to make it work in others, and might not be a fit at all for others. Verdict is still out here. MOH 3 looks very HS worthy to me, and I imagine 4 will be even more so, just due to the topic matter etc...

Well, just our experiences so far.

HTH some! Merry :-)

Hi Heather! I was hoping you'd reply!!

Well, my oldest did SL Core 100 (American History) last year for his freshman year and I thought it was incredibly thorough. So I'm "thinking" of going through vol 1-4 (this would be w/ my younger 3) and then do one year of American History (core 100) some time in high school. Would there be enough American History covered in vol 1-4 if I didn't want to do AAH? (of course you probably haven't seen vol 4)

What say you?

Not sure if this helps or if you already know this, but I have the updated version of MOH Vol 1 and there are three areas of work - Younger Students (young and elementary ages), Middle Students, and Older Students...The Older Students activities and assignments are for high school kids...

We are using MOH 1 with my fifth grader, and I am planning to come back to this volume when he is in 9th grade and do the older student stuff...I haven't read the other volumes, but we are enjoying this one and I plan to continue using it next year...

In some ways, I feel my 5th and 1st grader will have a better understanding when they get to the high school level...Some of it I feel goes over their heads now...

Hi Merry! I started to address this to you and Heather. It seems most of the threads I've read on MOH had you and Heather replying.:D

I have briefly looked at Illuminations. I'm interested to hear that you wish you hadn't done core 5. Next year my oldest is on track to do core 5, but I'm tired of history taking an hour or more per child. Right now I'm doing 4 separate cores w/ 4 separate boys. I'm ready for some simplicity. That's my main why I want to switch back to MOH.

My oldest will do Notgrass next year. It's my 13yo, 9yo and 7 yo I'm looking at starting the MOH cycle again.

I hope you find what you're looking for too! Thanks for the info!!!

Hi Merry! I started to address this to you and Heather. It seems most of the threads I've read on MOH had you and Heather replying.:D

I have briefly looked at Illuminations. I'm interested to hear that you wish you hadn't done core 5. Next year my oldest is on track to do core 5, but I'm tired of history taking an hour or more per child. Right now I'm doing 4 separate cores w/ 4 separate boys. I'm ready for some simplicity. That's my main why I want to switch back to MOH.

My oldest will do Notgrass next year. It's my 13yo, 9yo and 7 yo I'm looking at starting the MOH cycle again.

I hope you find what you're looking for too! Thanks for the info!!!

4 cores, wow! MOH will certainly give you some simplicity! Is your 13 yo a boy or a girl? I think part of our issue here is that my oldest is a boy--he was ready for some independence (he has asked to read MOH on his own rather than sit with dd and I as I read--and actually that's working well!). I guess he also remembers MOH 1 really well--we did it over 2 years when he was in 2nd and 3rd grade with SL core 1, then did MOH 2 in one year with core 2--he actually told me he doesn't remember the middle ages or studying them, say what?! Not sure how that happened! Anyway, so he wasn't excited about repeating MOH 1, maybe your 13 yo will feel differently.

MFW uses Notgrass & I've even been toying with picking it up now & having my son continue in time from where we are in MOH 1 now.

As for Sonlight's Core 5--It seems like the people who enjoy it most are those who really like projects, get into cooking meals from other places, like to look up movies on Netflix or the library etc... My kids liked the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer for the first 2 countries, and then hated it! When they realized that the whole year was reading the World Book Encyclopedia as a spine and then trying to find answers for EHE (think year-long research project, dry reading), they were not amused and neither was I. We liked only about half of the history books, and the ones we didn't like we really disliked. This coming from kids who both loved Core 3 & 4's Landmark even in 3rd and 5th grades--and Landmark often is balked at online. It was rich and meaty for us. World book is fun to look things up in, but not as a spine.

The readers and read-alouds are, for the most part, not to be missed. Some really great books in that year. But there are so many that they all mush together after awhile. It's definitely the most fully packed core we had done. I've even heard people say core 6 is easy after 5, wrt the amount of work.

I was very tempted when I first started looking at 5 to restart MOH and mix in core 5-7 books wherever they fit, and now wish I had done that instead of doing 5.

But, some people really love 5, so I don't necessarily want to talk you out of it. It does sound like MOH would be a welcome relief to you though! And as far as readers & read-alouds, Illuminations has some interesting choices, quite a few are Sonlight books, so worth considering.

Hope you figure out what will work for you! Merry :-)

Hi Heather! I was hoping you'd reply!!

Well, my oldest did SL Core 100 (American History) last year for his freshman year and I thought it was incredibly thorough. So I'm "thinking" of going through vol 1-4 (this would be w/ my younger 3) and then do one year of American History (core 100) some time in high school. Would there be enough American History covered in vol 1-4 if I didn't want to do AAH? (of course you probably haven't seen vol 4)

What say you?

Sounds like a plan to me. Hands down it will give you more sanity than doing 4 cores :eek: My dh loves to remind me that it is just history. Good stuff, but not what you want to be spending a ton of time on.

This website arranges the SL titles into the 4 year cycle, so you wouldn't have to completely give up SL, just assign it as reading.

Like Merry my oldest is a history lover, which is why I don't blink at having her listen to MOH then read her own spine. The research, presentations and papers that the upper level activities suggest are another great way to bring the program up to a higher level as well. The book list in the 2nd edition of MOH has more suggestions which would help too.

Heather

Oh My Goodness!! Between you two, you have totally helped me!!! (I knew I could depend on you :D

Heather, thanks for the link! What a gem!

Merry, thanks for your honesty about core 5. I know you're not being negative, just honest. And I need to hear that. I "want" to like everything about SL, but truth be told, I haven't. I have all boys and none of them are readers (yes, they read, they just would rather be building something or destroying something:D, or playing football.) I think reading from the World Book would not be a good fit for us either. And I need to think about all this before I buy it, kwim?

Thanks again!!!!!!! Have a great week!

OOOH, thanks for the link! Now I just hope I remember that I have it saved when it comes time to figure out my plan for next year!

If you do a Google search on WTM and Sonlight it is usually the first link to come up. Or you could always e-mail me. :D

Heather