Menu

The Writing Course vs. IEW? Anyone have any thoughts?

mamafox

I just heard about the Writing Course and am interested in hearing what people have to say about it. I'm considering it for my 12 year old son who hates to write. I was kind of taking the "Better late than Early" philosophy with him and now I'm beginning to panic that he is not writing. I would love any suggestions.

Thanks!

Debbie :)

I think I've tried ALMOST every writing program. Well, okay, only 3 or 4. I guess I'm seeking that perfect, hands-off, teach-itself program. Apparently, we have to actually teach writing. My new thing: every day, I have each dc (grades 2-5) write a page on the same topic (youngest dictates to me). One day, they write about an animal, next day it's a favorite holiday, then a poem, etc. Then I sit with them individually for a couple minutes and go over grammar, vocabulary, punctuation, etc. It takes very little time. We also do Classical Writing's Aesop 2-3 days a week (when the weather is nice:)--more if it's yucky outside!) I sit all 4 dc at the table and we do 15-20 minutes of some or all: reviewing parts of speech, diagramming a couple sentences or checking out spellings of some of the words in the story, retelling/reading the story, re-writing, etc. I used the manual more or less as intended for a while then adapted it to my own taste.

Edited by RanchMom