Menu

Do you remember....

When your kids were toddlers and there were days where you had to FORCE them to pick up toys? You know, the day where you had to hold their little hand, wrap it around the block, put the block in the toybox, rinse and repeat?

Do you ever feel like schooling a junior high age child is like this on some days? What do you do on those days? Scrap it and go for a run? Change gears completely? Help me out here!

We are using COVA-K12 and for the most part it is great...but there are days! We just finished the research paper units with both kids and with the younger one, who is not yet into "junior high" attitude, it was a breeze. The older one stretched it out for so long I thought I was going to lose my mind! They are both done now and moving on, but today was one of those days where I just wanted to poke pencils in my ears just so I wouldn't have to hear a 13 year old boy whine anymore! :001_huh:

When your kids were toddlers and there were days where you had to FORCE them to pick up toys? You know, the day where you had to hold their little hand, wrap it around the block, put the block in the toybox, rinse and repeat?

Do you ever feel like schooling a junior high age child is like this on some days? What do you do on those days? Scrap it and go for a run? Change gears completely? Help me out here!

We are using COVA-K12 and for the most part it is great...but there are days! We just finished the research paper units with both kids and with the younger one, who is not yet into "junior high" attitude, it was a breeze. The older one stretched it out for so long I thought I was going to lose my mind! They are both done now and moving on, but today was one of those days where I just wanted to poke pencils in my ears just so I wouldn't have to hear a 13 year old boy whine anymore! :001_huh:

Ugh!! Yes - since I'm hsing middle schoolers and have a three yr old.

We've done two things that really helped. First - I made my middle schoolers make a schedule, broken down in half hour increments. They made it, so they stick to it pretty well (meaning limited tantrums). We also started doing more hands on, less book work. I adore book work. Give me a book and ask me to outline and I'm delighted. My boys want lapbooks and experiments and mess making annoying projects. Grr. However, they don't peep when I ask them to do those things.

Do you ever feel like schooling a junior high age child is like this on some days? Yes! What do you do on those days? Scrap it and go for a run? Sometimes. Change gears completely? Sometimes. Help me out here! Sending hugs!

You're doing it, Momma! It's just the way it is/was around here sometimes. And it doesn't make the cover of any of the hsing brochures so it can seem VERY unsettling. But know that you are not alone. Do what you have to do to recharge, and don't be afraid to keep them on the edge of what they can do. Pull back from the edge when you need to, but then revisit it. It's the only way mine have grown.

Keep your eye on the prize - even when you're the only one who can see it. (Eventually they get it. Eventually. :001_smile:)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Do what you have to do to recharge, and don't be afraid to keep them on the edge of what they can do. Pull back from the edge when you need to, but then revisit it. It's the only way mine have grown.

Keep your eye on the prize - even when you're the only one who can see it. (Eventually they get it. Eventually. :001_smile:)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thank you for posting this, Janice! I was just sitting here before everyone woke up debating whether I am asking my 11 yo dd to do too much because of how much she drags her feet and complains. She eventually ends up doing it but I usually have lost my sense of humor by the end of the day. She questions every.last.decision I make and acts like it was the worst path I could have chosen, no matter how trivial. Getting her to do work feels like I am dragging a 90 pound weight behind me every day. But I'm not going to back down, not me! :D

I am sorry. I will come over right away and pick up my kids.

:lol:

Thanks for the tips.

Last night we sat down and lined out the lessons to get them where they need to be at the end of January, then I let them figure out how they wanted to schedule it. Then wrote the day's requirements on notecards for them...and they both dove right in! Not sure this is the answer, but it seems to be working today!

My one really big fear, is that on the days when I have to drag them through the schooling and it feels like I am spoon feeding information to them, that they aren't really learning anything and at some point it will hurt them in the future.

Last night we sat down and lined out the lessons to get them where they need to be at the end of January, then I let them figure out how they wanted to schedule it. Then wrote the day's requirements on notecards for them...and they both dove right in! Not sure this is the answer, but it seems to be working today!

My kids LOOOVE having their schedules all written out for them. We do a daily white board. It lets them know that school won't go on and on and on and on. Cause, ya know, that's how it ususally is around here :rolleyes:

My one really big fear, is that on the days when I have to drag them through the schooling and it feels like I am spoon feeding information to them, that they aren't really learning anything and at some point it will hurt them in the future.

No. absolutely not. All kids have days like that. Just remember, if they were in a group learning situation they would just shut off their brains and that would be that. At least this way, you are getting something in there.