Menu

What kind of appliance do I need for chopping veggies?

For the lettuce, just your hands. If you cut lettuce with a metal-bladed knife, the lettuce "rusts" faster than if you just tear it. There are plastic lettuce knives, but I've never cared for them myself.

And honestly, just by looking over your list, I'd still just use a good knife. For me, a food processor is a pain to deal with, and with setting it up, and cleaning it, I found it more convenient to just use a chef's knife and be done with it. I use a Rachael Ray brand (Furi) santuko (?) chef's knife.

Sorry I'm not much help!

They do make lettuce knives for cutting lettuce. I think they're plastic. I know that regular metal knives aren't usually recommended because they make the edges brown or something. I just enlist DS to tear lettuce at our house.

As for other veggies, how do you want them cut? A mandoline makes thin slices, matchsticks, or julienned veggies really easy. I've used the expensive French ones and a cheap plastic one from the Asian store. The cheap plastic one works really, really well, and is a lot easier to clean up. It's also $20 instead of $200, so I'd highly recommend going for that type. We have this one, and I find it works great: http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-Company-BN1-Mandoline/dp/B0000VZ57C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295389402&sr=8-1

The cheapest option is to teach a child how to cut and put them to work, though! :D

I have one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-GOC-300-International-Onion-Chopper/dp/B000A389IM/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295390295&sr=1-3-fkmr2 - it won't chop every vegetable out there, but it makes very quick of many of them as well as hard boiled eggs, etc. Great for the children to use while you are using a knife for the other things.

A good knife.

If you really want something else, get a chopper. It looks like a jar with a boingey handle thingey sticking out of the top, kinda like a churning jar. You center the jar (no bottom on it) over the vegetable, then bang on the boingey handle. A z-shaped blade will then boing down on the vegetables and chop.

Rinse the blade immediately in soapy water when finished.

I prefer a knife and some elbow grease, though. We eat salads almost daily--it does go quicker as you continue doing this.

Thanks, ladies. I guess a good knife and a sharpener it is.

Yes, I've heard of tearing lettuce, but I found if you cut enough lettuce for just that meal, it doesn't turn brown by the time you're going to eat it. I have been using romaine so that cleans and chops fairly quickly.

And yes, I put my husband to work. He is the one who has been making the salads but it takes him longer than for me to prepare all the other stuff. I think investing in a new sharpener and a few videos will do the trick.

Thanks!

A good knife.

If you really want something else, get a chopper. It looks like a jar with a boingey handle thingey sticking out of the top, kinda like a churning jar. You center the jar (no bottom on it) over the vegetable, then bang on the boingey handle. A z-shaped blade will then boing down on the vegetables and chop.

Rinse the blade immediately in soapy water when finished.

I prefer a knife and some elbow grease, though. We eat salads almost daily--it does go quicker as you continue doing this.

I have one of these and I love your description! :D

I agree about having good knives (use mine all the time), but my husband bought me a Food Ninja for Christmas and I am seriously in love with it. It chops up anything in about 2 seconds and is super easy to clean and use. I've used it to chop vegetables and my husband has used it to make snowcones for the kids.

Here's a link to their crazy YouTube video that shows how it works.

I got a santoku knife for Christmas and love it! (I picked it out.) A santoku knife has almost no curve in the cutting edge of the blade, unlike a chef's knife. They are usually anywhere from 5" to 8". Mine is 5". If you've never gotten the hang of rocking a chef's knife as you cut (keep the point on the cutting board and only raise the handle up & down), then you might like a santoku knife. I've found I like sliding the santoku knife through the food, which in theory is a no-no with a chef's knife (at least on Food Network ;) ).

I just use a knife. DH's grandmother, though, owns a Salad Shooter (remember that thing? - they still make them). It's basically a hand held food processor. She makes salads with lots of ingredients, so it's just easier for her to get that out and start throwing things in it: carrots, zucchini, kholrabi, radishes, etc. She rinses it all off immediately and sets it to dry.

I don't know that I would do that, but I wish we had more variety in our salads.