Menu

RightStart vs Singapore for a 4 y.o. who likes math

poetic license

My earlier thread is here where I mentioned my ds who is four and is really into math. We are doing Math Mammoth and MEP here and there, but I'm wondering about RightStart. It seems like it's more hands-on and would be a more practical way to introduce math ideas to a kid who likes to do mathy activities (he's been begging me to teach him how to multiply these days :001_huh: )

What do you all think? would you describe it as a fun way to introduce math? We are doing "at home" type math (like when I'm cooking and he's dividing up stuff with his sis) but this is the type of kid who sits with a math book for 45 minutes and I have to pry him off. I have to tell him to :chillpill: off the books at a certain point...

The other thought is Singapore 1A. I wish I could see these materials in person and look through them myself, but if anyone has any ideas or tips please share...

We're not very far into RightStart so I can't really give you a "been there done that" answer...but so far so good! It's not really "fun", but it's laying a great foundation. And it's very easy to implement in short bursts throughout the week.

On the other hand, I have a used version of Saxon K math which uses a lot of play in the lessons, so that may be something to look into as well. I didn't end up using it because I really liked the way RightStart approaches math. But I remember thinking that Saxon K looked like a lot of fun!

Hello... I used Singapore with Sweetie in K and RS in 1st (and MEP for 1st and 2nd)... I would definitely use RS over Singapore. I think it does a great job building mathematical thinking, and Sweetie learned a lot more about math from it than from her time with Singapore.

Since your dc is moving so quickly and you're using other programs, it might behoove you to check out the "Activities for the alAbacus" book instead of the regular curriculum. My Sweetie doesn't move as quickly as your child, but the regular curriculum had too much repetition for her. Part of that is that she's not a kinesthetic learner at all, so all the tactile-manipulatives were just annoying for her (though she loves the alAbacus). The Activities book is great because it has all the important bits through long division, and you can pick and choose through it to fit your child's questions as they arise. It's not organized by age, and there really isn't any key to which grades to teach what, but it's organized by topic, specifically the main operations.

We also have the RS Games package, which we use and enjoy. In addition to supporting the things taught in the Activities book, it also has games for fractions, time, and money.

Good luck!

Rather than start with Singapore (which I love - Standards version), I'd start with Miquon and Cuisinaire rods. Be sure to read the First Grade Diary and you need the Lab Annotations. The books can be used in many different ways based on her interest. It's strong math too - and then move on to Singapore when she's ready.

I've used both and I am a total RS fan now. I'm finishing up E and just bummed it doesn't get any higher. But for my little guy, who goes to a Montessori preschool, I use RS for fun. He loves it. My memories of Singapore at that level is that it laid a great foundation but it was really just not fun. However, if you want something very pencil and workbook-based, then Singapore is the way to go. With RS you get a lot of knowledge and understanding, but not, at that level, a whole lot of worksheets. You wouldn't really go wrong with Singapore, btw...no real regrets here for having used it. I just love RS now that I've found it.

I didn't like Miquon b/c I could never get past the Cuisinaire rods and how they don't have any markings to determine how many units each one is worth. The only thing I really love about MUS are their blocks. If Miquon had MUS blocks I'd probably really love it, too. :001_smile: