Menu

Cub Scout pack meeting frequency

Hi

I would like to know if those of you who have your boys in cub scouts, how often do you have pack meetings? Are they consistently monthly (say the 3rd Wednesday of the month).

If you have a service project or campout or some other big event, do you still have a pack meeting, or do the leaders combine the pack meeting into those events so you only have so many cub scout events a month?

In February for the Blue & Gold banquet, do you have a pack meeting as well?

Thanks.

We just started Cub Scouts this year, but our pack meets the 1 & 3 Wednesdays September through May. We have gotten together for the can food drive (on two Saturdays for drop off and pick up), have the Pinewood Derby on Friday evening and are currently planning two more get togethers, but they are more like field trips for earning badges.

We really enjoy our pack.

It sounds like you are talking about den meetings. I am interested in when the whole pack meets. I believe most packs meet just once a month and have a formal meeting with some fun activities. I just want to know if other packs don't have their pack meeting if some other event is planned for the whole pack that month.

We meet 2-3 times a month for our den.

Thanks for your reply.

Our den meets every Tuesday all year except in July because we do Day Camp then. We have one pack meeting a month. If we have a big event, like blue and gold, then it is done instead of pack meeting or rather combined with pack meeting. If we have an outside activity like a hike or field trip, then we might skip a den meeting and have den meeting be on a different day for that special activity.

We hold Pack meeting once a month. We do keep them consistent. This helps with retention. If a holiday or another significant event falls on the meeting, we will set another date for that month.

There also is a Pack activity scheduled for once a month. Those dates will vary by event and who is coordinating them. Meetings are held August-May. We tend to just schedule Pack activities June and July. Camps, campouts, ect.

We do set a Pack schedule in August for the year.

The Blue and Gold banquet is the time that most of the boys receive their badges; ie; Tiger, Wolf, Bear, etc. Also they may receive belt loops and pins at this time. Adults may also receive awards or recognition at this time.

The night consists of a dinner, awards, and time for each den to show off a project that they worked on. We set a theme for the evening, which we tie into the project the boys completed.

Also, each den has their own meetings each month. For example, I run the Webelo den and I schedule two meetings a month.

I hope this helps

My son's whole pack gets together and has announcements for whatever activity -- trip, fundraiser, what-have-you -- and then they break down into dens. This happens from one to three times a month. One of those meetings might be the regatta or the derby but usually it's the dens doing whatever it is they do. They just had a huge pack activity with other Cubs from other parts of the state over the weekend. Other than that it's usually the first and third Thursday.

We hold Pack meeting once a month. We do keep them consistent. This helps with retention. If a holiday or another significant event falls on the meeting, we will set another date for that month.

There also is a Pack activity scheduled for once a month. Those dates will vary by event and who is coordinating them. Meetings are held August-May. We tend to just schedule Pack activities June and July. Camps, campouts, ect.

We do set a Pack schedule in August for the year.

The Blue and Gold banquet is the time that most of the boys receive their badges; ie; Tiger, Wolf, Bear, etc. Also they may receive belt loops and pins at this time. Adults may also receive awards or recognition at this time.

The night consists of a dinner, awards, and time for each den to show off a project that they worked on. We set a theme for the evening, which we tie into the project the boys completed.

Also, each den has their own meetings each month. For example, I run the Webelo den and I schedule two meetings a month.

I hope this helps

I see you are in Ohio, thus why you do your camping in the summer. :) We do ours in November and April here in TX. My pack does their pack meetings at the campouts. We have only had 2 official pack meetings, and the first one was the recruiting meeting. They have put pack meetings into other events. I have mixed feelings about this. I personally think pack meetings should be a consistent day of every month (3rd Monday of every month type consistency). If a big event is occurring, say Blue & Gold, then I am okay with the pack not meeting that month. When they do a pack meeting mixed in at a special event, like camping, I can see why they do that, but not everyone can attend that. It's not the time slot all the families have alloted for that particular meeting, so I have mixed feelings about that.

We are having our Blue & Gold the 1st Friday in March and so they aren't doing a pack meeting in February. I don't know if they are doing one in March. I am the Tiger den leader. One mom brought it up to me that she was disappointed that there weren't more pack meetings. So if there is one mom who voiced this opinion, others are probably feeling the same. This is a new pack this year. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I know they are working hard to make the pack go.

I was planning on e-mailing them my thoughts on the frequency of the pack meeting, but I wanted to know what was normal and expected for most other packs before I did.

Thanks.

Our Pack meetings are the 3rd Thursday of the month, except the 2nd Thursday in December. We don't have a Pack meeting in February, because we have Blue & Gold instead. We will have one in March, even though we have the Pinewood Derby, because we need to give our awards. We don't have Pack meetings in the summer, which is when our camping trips are (June day camp and July overnight camps.) Service projects are done at the Pack meetings: in October we made shoe boxed for soldiers, in November we collected food, etc. We do an extra activity once or twice a year; for our Fall event, we went to a corn maze and cookout in October on a Saturday. We also had a parade in early December.

Edited by angela in ohio

I see you are in Ohio, thus why you do your camping in the summer. :) We do ours in November and April here in TX. My pack does their pack meetings at the campouts. We have only had 2 official pack meetings, and the first one was the recruiting meeting. They have put pack meetings into other events. I have mixed feelings about this. I personally think pack meetings should be a consistent day of every month (3rd Monday of every month type consistency). If a big event is occurring, say Blue & Gold, then I am okay with the pack not meeting that month. When they do a pack meeting mixed in at a special event, like camping, I can see why they do that, but not everyone can attend that. It's not the time slot all the families have alloted for that particular meeting, so I have mixed feelings about that.

We are having our Blue & Gold the 1st Friday in March and so they aren't doing a pack meeting in February. I don't know if they are doing one in March. I am the Tiger den leader. One mom brought it up to me that she was disappointed that there weren't more pack meetings. So if there is one mom who voiced this opinion, others are probably feeling the same. This is a new pack this year. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I know they are working hard to make the pack go.

I was planning on e-mailing them my thoughts on the frequency of the pack meeting, but I wanted to know what was normal and expected for most other packs before I did.

Thanks.

If you are the Tiger den leader, you should be at the committee meetings where these decisions are made. We all plan the Pack meetings together. :001_smile:

When do you give out belt loops and other awards? That is the main part of our Pack meeting, as well as announcements for parents and activities for the boys.

Edited by angela in ohio

Our cubs meet every week.

Two Mondays are usually normal "den" meetings.

One Wednesday is usually a "pack" meeting.

One other day is a "go see it" outing.

They are scheduled during the school year (August through Memorial Day)

Our boy scouts also meet every week... even throughout the summer.

Our 2nd year of Cub Scouts, and second Pack...first in FL, now in NC. Both had one Pack meeting a month, and then a Pack activity.

FL Pack meetings were great! Awards given out, annoucements and then some FUN activity.

NC Pack meeting are b-o-r-i-n-g!!! Awards given out, annoucements and Pack snack. Ugh! We usually skip unless we know DS7 is going to get a belt loop.

They just had a committee meeting and I had asked if den leaders were supposed to come because I didn't have any information about the time/date of the meeting (I think they accidentally e-mailed the den leaders in an e-mail). They said the den leaders weren't supposed to come. I have only been to one planning meeting.

Mid-way through the year I have figured out a lot, but really on my own. I wish someone would have sat me down in the beginning and went over a lot of the specifics...how to earn belt loops, pins, badges, what is required to earn the tiger badge, etc. Yeah, I can read, but that stuff needs to be told to new den leaders - not, here, read this. They have been good about answering any questions I had, but I didn't know what questions to ask in the beginning. This is a new pack, so there will be growing pains.

When we came home from the pack meeting last night, my husband was a little disappointed. He was a cub scout, so he knew what to expect. The meeting was only 30 minutes.

They did hand out awards, and my son earned a few and left them there. grrr :) They did a fun activity and made some announcements.

I don't mind being a den leader, I was sucked into it because they couldn't register the pack without a tiger den leader. We do a lot with the den. I love our den, although I plan all the meetings, but I'm fine with that. Then I know it gets done. As for an assistant, I have one, but her husband has been bringing their son to the meetings, and men are a little oblivious and not nearly as good of help as a mom. No offense to any man reading this, I'm just stating facts as I see them in my den meetings. LOL!

Thanks for all your replies.

Edited by vfnelson2

Hi

I would like to know if those of you who have your boys in cub scouts, how often do you have pack meetings? Are they consistently monthly (say the 3rd Wednesday of the month).

If you have a service project or campout or some other big event, do you still have a pack meeting, or do the leaders combine the pack meeting into those events so you only have so many cub scout events a month?

In February for the Blue & Gold banquet, do you have a pack meeting as well?

Thanks.

Generally we have a pack night once a month (3rd Friday) and an outing once a month (either pack or council sponsored). This lasts about 1 1/2 hrs, includes awards, annoucements, "show and tell", and fun activities that is for about 45-60 minutes of the pack night.

My Den (Web I) have den meeting once a month for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and we do an den outing every other month that goes with an achievement we are working on.

Pack Night is separate from our outings (day and overnighters) and service projects.

In January we have pinewood derby Saturday after pack night (but the pack night is just to prepare for derby, no formal pack night).

Usually we did B&G 3rd Saturday or Sunday in Feb and no pack night... but this year we couldn't get the high school auditorium and cafeteria in Feb and we didn't want to go nearly 2 months without a pack night. So this year our B&G is beginning of March and that is in addition to the monthly pack nights.

Edited by AnitaMcC

They just had a committee meeting and I had asked if den leaders were supposed to come because I didn't have any information about the time/date of the meeting (I think they accidentally e-mailed the den leaders in an e-mail). They said the den leaders weren't supposed to come. I have only been to one planning meeting.

Mid-way through the year I have figured out a lot, but really on my own. I wish someone would have sat me down in the beginning and went over a lot of the specifics...how to earn belt loops, pins, badges, what is required to earn the tiger badge, etc. Yeah, I can read, but that stuff needs to be told to new den leaders - not, here, read this. They have been good about answering any questions I had, but I didn't know what questions to ask in the beginning. This is a new pack, so there will be growing pains.

When we came home from the pack meeting last night, my husband was a little disappointed. He was a cub scout, so he knew what to expect. The meeting was only 30 minutes.

They did hand out awards, and my son earned a few and left them there. grrr :) They did a fun activity and made some announcements.

I don't mind being a den leader, I was sucked into it because they couldn't register the pack without a tiger den leader. We do a lot with the den. I love our den, although I plan all the meetings, but I'm fine with that. Then I know it gets done. As for an assistant, I have one, but her husband has been bringing their son to the meetings, and men are a little oblivious and not nearly as good of help as a mom. No offense to any man reading this, I'm just stating facts as I see them in my den meetings. LOL!

Thanks for all your replies.

There is training online for den leaders, sometimes there is training by the district, and there are the manuals. It isn't really up to the committee to do the training (they have enough to do - trust me!,) unless you have so many volunteers hanging around that someone ends up as a trainer. Den leaders (and assistants) absolutely should be at committee meetings. Actually, anyone who wants to go can be at committee meetings. We encourage all parents to go! If your district has meetings/roundtables, those are very informative, too.

My husband is a den leader and his assistant is another dad. They do a fabulous job. :001_smile: The boys respond well to men, especially the ones without a strong father figure. We have a huge den, and they all attend every meeting and do very well (even the three with special needs.) I would encourage the father who comes to help out!

Our pack meetings are consistently monthly (second Monday or something like that) and the den meetings are first & third Monday. Fourth Monday is committee meetings. Our whole pack uses a local church and they pretty much give it to us on Monday nights.

Blue & Gold counts as a pack meeting, but service projects, pack hikes, and pack campouts are separate and take place on weekends, usually.

We're in the Sam Houston Council and do one pack meeting/activity a month. Ours are an October and March campout, November cubmobile race, January pinewood derby, February B&G, May crossover, June Twilight camp, July dodgeball, August ice cream social/new member drive, September hike, etc. We hold a brief Pack meeting to hand out awards and do a flag ceremony at the beginning of each activity.

Each den meets twice a month. All of the den and pack meetings are on weekends.

in our current pack, always im the church gym. The B&G is done as a pack meeting. Pack meetings (including the B&G) are always the 4th Thursday except in Nov-Dec. And they are a bit boring.

Our old pack alternated - one month a routine in-the-gym pack meeting, the next month a meeting at the Corn Maze/Assisted Living for caroling/a location for a service project. I rather liked the variety.

We do 2 den meetings, 1 pack meeting, and a minimum of 1 pack activity each month. For example, in December, we went caroling in an Alzheimers' home and had a short Pack Meeting afterward. Our Pack activity that month was bowling. This month we went sledding as a Pack Activity and we are having the Pack Meeting as a small part of our Pinewood Derby. Next month our pack activity is visiting an animal park and our Pack Meeting will be part of Blue and Gold.

You should be having a regular pack meeting every month, Sept-May. Blue and Gold generally counts as the pack meeting for that month.

This is what BSA recommends. Our camp outs, special activities and service days never counted as pack meetings except Blue and Gold did....

This is what BSA recommends. Our camp outs, special activities and service days never counted as pack meetings except Blue and Gold did....

We do once a month den meeting because that is what all the parents in my den want. They prefer a longer den meeting once a month instead of shorter meetings twice a month. None wanted to do a weekly meeting.

We do an outing every other month or more often in warmer months.

And with our once a month.. all of our boys have been able to earn their Webelos badge in time for B&G. We also have had a few Web II boys attend some of our den meetings as they just joined this year.