Menu

Help me create a list of Shakespearean themed movies/ plays....

Does anyone have a list already?

If not, I'd love to create a list of movies or plays that have been modern adaptions of Shakespeare's plays, or have used Shakespearean themes. Here's my two so far:

• The play "All Shook Up" is The Twelfth Night.

• "The Lion King" is thematically related to Hamlet. Note that I'm not looking for filmed versions of the original plays (Like Sir Laurence Olivier's Hamlet), but adaptions.

I'd prefer to find movies/ plays that are PG-rated and under.

TIA!

Alane

OH, we just watched one last night!

It was a British adaptation of 4 Shakespeare plays called Shakespeare Retold. We've just watched Much Ado About Nothing so far, but there is also Macbeth, The Taming of the Shrew and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

It was pretty good :001_smile:. It's not rated, and it was *slightly* racy, but not much.

ETA: Okay, we just watched the Macbeth version......definitely not PG rated. But that's a hard one to sanitize.

Edited by Kebo
added more info....

The great director Akira Kurosawa adapted two Shakespearean plays: Ran, based on King Lear, and Throne of Blood, based on Macbeth.

My Own Private Idaho is based on the two King Henry IV plays and King Henry V. I remember seeing it in college and finding it very strange. It has nothing at all to do with the B-52's.

ETA: I just saw the PG-13 and under caveat. I'd let a child near 13 years old watch the Kurosawa movies; My Own Private Idaho is about gay street hustlers, and is probably too much.

How To Read Literature Like a Professor http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_39?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=how+to+read+literature+like+a+professor&sprefix=how+to+read+literature+like+a+professor has a chapter on seeing Shakespearean themes in literature.

There is also this book, Shakespeare in the Movies that lists movies from silent films to now that are either based on Shakespeares works or just have the theme, like you are looking for. http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Movies-Literary-Artists-Representatives/dp/0195139585/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295396054&sr=1-6

You might see if your library has the Reduced Shakespeare Company's book. One of the things that's in there is a list (and brief reviews of) the movies inspired by each of the plays.

Also, I'd recommend the DVD of their famous play The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). Hilarious. Though certainly raunchy in parts (much like Shakespeare). But anyone who's studied the Bard will crack up watching it. :)

Doug and Bob Mackenzie's Strange Brew.(1983). Very weird movie, I think it came out of characters from Saturday Night Live (if I remember correctly).

I haven't seen it since it came out so this is long term memory here, :001_smile:. The stars were sort of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in a quasi Hamlet. I remember it as being funny.

Doug and Bob Mackenzie's Strange Brew.(1983). Very weird movie, I think it came out of characters from Saturday Night Live (if I remember correctly).

I haven't seen it since it came out so this is long term memory here, :001_smile:. The stars were sort of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in a quasi Hamlet. I remember it as being funny.

Aaa! "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"! How could I have forgotten that one? Probably not child-appropriate though . . . though it's been awhile since I've seen it. But it follows the two eponymous minor characters from "Hamlet" as they weave through the main story. Kind of depressing, but interesting. Very meta.

The Canadian TV show Slings and Arrows. It's on Netflix streaming. Obviously it's not rated as it's TV, but there's nothing sexually explicit or violent - though there many mature themes and some language that's not typically for young ears. It follows a struggling theater company as they put on various Shakespeare productions. Each season's production is mirrored in the events taking place with the characters. Season 1 is Hamlet. Season 2 is Macbeth and season 3 is King Lear. Notice that it also takes us through youth (Hamlet), middle age (Macbeth) and old age (Lear). It's a funny but also insightful show and I would rate it among the best TV shows of all time.

:thumbup::thumbup:

The Canadian TV show Slings and Arrows. It's on Netflix streaming. Obviously it's not rated as it's TV, but there's nothing sexually explicit or violent - though there many mature themes and some language that's not typically for young ears. It follows a struggling theater company as they put on various Shakespeare productions. Each season's production is mirrored in the events taking place with the characters. Season 1 is Hamlet. Season 2 is Macbeth and season 3 is King Lear. Notice that it also takes us through youth (Hamlet), middle age (Macbeth) and old age (Lear). It's a funny but also insightful show and I would rate it among the best TV shows of all time.

OOOOH how could I forget Slings and Arrows. I love that show. I double recommend it. Warning: coarse language.

Ironically, I just recommended Wilby Wonderful (also starring Paul Gross) in another thread.