Menu

TOG vs Weaver. Need to combine lots of kids

mumkins

Originally posted as asking between TOG and Weaver-

"Baby #5 will be joining us next summer. I'm really needing to combine my kids. So far I'm leaning towards TOG or Weaver.

Any advice on either or another curriculum I could combine them with?"

Now, as you can see in post #4, I'm just unsure on any curriculum. I know exactly what I want and I can't find it! Do you know what I'm looking for and just haven't found?

Edited by mumkins

What are the ages of the children? Weaver is younger friendly and TOG is older friendly. TOG is more historical cycle aligned and Weaver goes through the Scripture chronologically and then pulls in other parts of history as applies.

(whispers...we've done both, then went to MFW. <3 MFW! )

I looked at MFW. The books looked rather boring. Am I wrong?

I guess, I don't really like anything out there. I've decided against Weaver. There's no books. Just read from the TM.

I really hate how much other religions are focused on in TOG. And I really like having an open and go schedule.

MFW's books don't look very interesting and as a Canadian, I'm not really wanting 2/5ths to be all US history.

I really like HOD, but it looks like I'd end up doing 4-5+ guides down the road.

I have a love hate relationship with Sonlight, plus I can't combine them very well.

Winter Promise doesn't really have what I'm looking for.

Wrote off Konos years ago. Can't remember why. I'll have to check it out again.

I just want to cry. There's got to be a literature rich, Christian based and focused curriculum where I can combine my kids that uses interesting books and doesn't heavily focus on US history. Been HSing almost 5 years and I've still not found what I'm looking for. Starting to understand why HS moms write their own curriculum. But, I've not got the patience for that.

The geography year, the ancients, and Rome to Reformation are not focused on American history. The last two years, yes, would be. I can understand the issue you have with that.

If you want open and go, then you want to avoid BOTH Weaver and TOG...they both require planning. That is why I went with MFW. And that they sell the books with the program. As Americans, we don't find the readings boring...even if you left out the American portions. The other readings are enjoyable.

I'm not just referring to the books in those years. IDK. My kids are still young and they like engaging, colourful books. Maybe if I had my hands on the books.

Many of the books we received are colourful and engaging. You can see them pictured even in the sets on their website. I'm not sure what you find that is not "colourful" about them (?) My kids can't wait for the school box to come in the summer to see what is in there. You may want to go to a convention to be able to "touch and hold" books of any curriculum, if that is the problem. No website can replace that for any curricula. If they are young though, you may just want to do library books and read aloud to them for history and science right now, informally.

I can't see in the books, I just assumed. :blush5: I know almost all books have colourful covers. We used SL which was all like that and then HOD which has almost no colourful books. My kids next year will be in grade 5, 3 and 1. With a 3yo and a new born.

Oh those are old enough that I think they would enjoy it...but again, it doesn't solve the history problem in the last two years.

Keep looking, you may eventually find what you are looking for. Again, I would ask the Canadian moms on here. They may know of some things that those of us in the US wouldn't ;)

I know there are Tog'ers who are Canadian that are members here......4evercanucks is one I know for sure. Perhaps they will weigh in, but I do believe that TOG is not American history heavy, but offers a balanced view of history throughout the world.

I sent you an email via the HOD yahoo board where you posted this same question.

I started out my homeschooling journey using HOD and thinking I was going to use it for life, however, I soon discovered that using 2 or 3 guides and having my children on different history cycles was not the way I wanted to go. I've recently just sold all of my HOD materials because it doesn't fit want I want for my family.

I think it's important to note that while TOG may seem to put a lot of emphasis on other religions....they are discussed and presented within the context that God is the one true God. TOG has a very protestant viewpoint. You should read the "How is Christianity presented in Tapestry of Grace?" question and answer here: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/faq/

I looked at MFW extensively as an option, but decided against it, because I don't like how the spines are all centered on the older children and the youngers are just tagging along, and may or may not get anything out of it. I love the fact that TOG has 4 different learning levels, while keeping everyone together in the same time period and history cycle. This is one of the main reasons I love it so much.

Two suggestions:

-MOH--It's perfect to start with those ages. The lit is listed in the back and you can easily bring it in. Lots of hands-on, not overwhelming. Perfect.

-VP online self-paced courses-More pricey (though there are multi-child discounts), unbelievably good, lots of lit tie-ins (it actually pops up with a screen that tells them what books to read with that week's lessons!), etc. You just can't get any easier on you. If the money is there, it would blow your mind and be all you want. (Is that enough praise yet?)

PS. I know I don't have five kids, but I have taught 5th with a newborn, btdt. I wouldn't have gotten TOG or a lot of that fancy stuff done either. We did manage to do some MOH under those circumstances, and we did like the VP online self-paced. Both are totally practical in your situation. And ditto the recommend to search the boards for canadian history. It comes up every so often.

I am currently using TOG Year 1 with five children. See my brood in my signature. I am also Canadian.

I love TOG, but with 5 young children, I do not feel like I am using it as it needs to be used, to get the full benefit. I will not be using it in the fall. I have been doing lots of research and I am narrowing down my options. Feel free to private message me if you want to chat.

I am currently using TOG Year 1 with five children. See my brood in my signature. I am also Canadian.

I love TOG, but with 5 young children, I do not feel like I am using it as it needs to be used, to get the full benefit. I will not be using it in the fall. I have been doing lots of research and I am narrowing down my options. Feel free to private message me if you want to chat.

What do you think you will be using in the fall? You have me curious! :lol:

:lurk5:

Ah, you can't leave us hanging like that! :D