Menu

What is this? (Organizational product)

I've been on someone's blog recently, and I've seen these other places - it's a long "thing" that hangs on a door or wall, you put folders in each section for a day or subject.

Clear as mud? The one I'm thinking of that I've seen recently is blue, but I looked through the blogs I follow real quick and didn't see it. So it must have been someone who linked from here?

I'm wondering where you find something like this.

I have one for each dc. My dd LOVES being able to easily find all her stuff and I love that she can put things away with no help from me.

We don't do workboxes or anything like that, but I am very UNorganized by nature & they help us keep things in order lol. I use them for current lapbooks (all pieces cut & placed into ziplocs & full size sheets in file folders), coloring books/pages, extra worksheets (arranged into file folders by subject), mini-offices, my clipboard, lesson plans/schedules, workbooks, & even curriculum catalogs. I used to keep all that stuff in portable file folder bins but I was tired of lugging those heavy things around the house!

I have them hanging on the side of my homeschool cabinets. If you decide to buy one/some, make sure to have whomever installs them put a fender washer between each screw & the grommet for reinforcement or you will wake up & find your precious organizing has to be redone (trust me on this one).

Cindy

This?

Its called FileTastic and you can search at Mardel store. Good stuff :)

Mardel.com

Yup. That's exactly the one I was picturing. Filetastic. Yeah, I wouldn't have remembered that name. Thanks!

I sure would like to sew these - I'd like them to be shorter and fit on the back of our school chairs. . .

I've seen these at Oriental Trading.

I have the Pocket chart shown in the Amazon link. I have it hanging on the back of my bedroom door from the removable 3M hooks. I'm using it as modified workboxes for ds's work since it allows me to keep it organized but I can shut the door when we are not doing school and keep dd from messing with everything. Since my bedroom opens right off the living room, starting school just means opening the door. I don't do nightly set-up so I have 4 file folders in each pocket (T,W,Th,F since these are the 4 days we do school, color coded so it's easy to see which is in front, when we do the work in a folder, I move it to the back). The pockets are Literature (I stick whatever book we are reading in there so it doesn't get lost), Spelling, Money, Phonics/Reading, Math, Writing, Time, Addition/Subtraction and some fun worksheets for dd. So far it's working great.

I sure would like to sew these - I'd like them to be shorter and fit on the back of our school chairs. . .

I was thinking of doing this, but I couldn't figure out what to put "in" the body of it - cardboard? some kind of lining or batting?

I was thinking of doing this, but I couldn't figure out what to put "in" the body of it - cardboard? some kind of lining or batting?

I had this thought as well...Is the back of it hard?

I don't think they are stiff, but you could use some fabric interfacing just so that they aren't flimsy.

I have found some chair pockets on etsy, but I think I need to just get out the sewing machine and do it :glare: (I do have some fabric from other projects in our schoolroom, so it'd look better. . . )

I don't think they are stiff, but you could use some fabric interfacing just so that they aren't flimsy.

I have found some chair pockets on etsy, but I think I need to just get out the sewing machine and do it :glare: (I do have some fabric from other projects in our schoolroom, so it'd look better. . . )

Interfacing! I have been trying to think of what that's called for the last 24 hours. Thank you!

I LOVE the idea of sewing your own! Especially for the backs of the school chairs! That would be so great! Thank you for the idea! :D If anyone does this, please post a pic! :)

I'm thinking of doing it, if not before summer, then during. I'm kind of thinking I'd like each day/subject to be velcro-attached to each other. Not sure why, I just like that idea. If I do this, I'll post pics. :)

OK ladies, I was inspired by homebychoice's suggestion. I made an over-the-chair organizer this afternoon and was rather pleased with it. I'm attaching pictures. It was a really easy project to do. I made a "sleeve" that goes over the back of the chair with three horizontal pockets. The bottom pocket is divided into three sections for smaller items.

Do you think that there would be a market for this? I have a website where I sell custom-made children's clothes and I sell on eBay too. I could always add it to my website. In order not to hijack this thread, I think I'll ask this question again in a new post.

Edited by KristenD

OK ladies, I was inspired. I made one this afternoon and was rather pleased with it. I'm attaching pictures. It was a really easy project to do. I made a "sleeve" that goes over the back of the chair with three horizontal pockets. The bottom pocket is divided into three sections for smaller items.

Do you think that there would be a market for this? I have a website where I sell custom-made children's clothes and I sell on eBay too. I could always add it to my website. In order not to hijack this thread, I think I'll ask this question again in a new post.

Very cool! I wasn't the one that said over the chairs - it wouldn't work for us with our chairs. Also, I want something with more file pockets.

OK ladies, I was inspired by homebychoice's suggestion. I made an over-the-chair organizer this afternoon and was rather pleased with it. I'm attaching pictures. It was a really easy project to do. I made a "sleeve" that goes over the back of the chair with three horizontal pockets. The bottom pocket is divided into three sections for smaller items.

LOVE!!

That looks great! That's good inspiration to get my Christmas stuff put up (currently in the schoolroom, which is also the sewing room). May be I'll get to work on mine tonight! I'm thinking of going with elastic to hold it on the chair so that I can use it on the student desks we have or the chairs. . .

Thanks for sharing!