Menu

aching joints anyone? what helps?

I am finding that my joints are aching a fair bit. In particular, my left elbow- when I go for a walk and it hangs and swings- after a while, it stiffens up and becomes painful. I am at the point where it hurts significantly to lift anything with my left arm. But its not just my elbow- that is the worst joint consistently- but also my lower back at times, sometimes quite badly (I have taken painkillers for that) and my legs- often when I stand up from lying down my whole legs and especially my feet are achey. Even when I get up from the computer chair, I find I kind of hobble a bit until the nagging aching goes. Its like I stiffen when I am still for too long.

I feel its not as bad as people who have fibromyalgia complain of. Some days when it is particularly bad lately I have searched the internet and I am looking at things like Ross River virus which is prevalent here in Australia...but I don't have a fever. It does come and go although the elbow is always there to some extent.

I am 43 years old and my diet is very good, I think. I feel like I am too young to get arthritis! My mother has had fibromyalgia and other related conditions severely for years though so I am familiar with that world to some extent. I feel otherwise very healthy, other than the underlying afternoon fatigue I have had for years.

I am just throwing this out here because I am not sure what to do about it. I am going to start taking chia seeds for the omega fatty acids. If someone else came to me with what I have, I would try and straighten out their diet...but my diet is already straightened out- high in vegetables and fruit and some seeds, a little wholegrains, and occasional meat/fish. I am trying to think what supplement I may be taking, or vegetable, but I cant see anything obvious.

Any ideas? I did book an appt with the doctor but then cancelled it because I really dont think they are good with this sort of thing, and I wanted to give myself more of a chance to deal with it myself. I wouldn't take any medications anyway- it's not bad enough for that.

Is it worse when a low pressure system comes through? I can feel the change in weather, get stiff and achy just like you describe. Especially where I've had surgery (my back). Track the weather and your pain and see if there's a connection there.

PS - I'm 43 too, feel like I'm too young for arthritis, but wonder sometimes myself....

Exercise - strengthening the muscles around the areas that are bothering you can make a huge difference.

It is really hard to get started, though - because at first you'll be aggravating the joints...

I have a degenerative cartilage problem which makes my joints all messed up, and strength training has helped more than anything else.

Also - if you take ibuprofen, you need to take it long term - as a therapy - because the true benefits for your joints won't take affect until about three days in. Usually about 800mg twice a day, but that I would ask a doc about. I can't do that long term - it messes up my stomach.

Also - 10 minutes of heat followed by 15/20 mninutes of ice - that can really help the pain - especially after working out.

ETA - I'm 36 and have had arthritis caused by the cartilage issue since I was 15 - so don't count it out.

Sounds like my arthritis. Sounds exactly like my arthritis.

It is hereditary in my family. That was not realized until I started having issues at 23. Now we protect dd's joints as well we can. Knee pads when ice skating etc.

What works best for me is heat. Heating pad, hot water bottle. I have it in my knees and hands. I don't do much about the stiffness except walk it off. Once the fluid gets flowing I don't have continuous pain from the lotus position style of sitting.

This year (winter) has been the easiest by far. I quit smoking last year about this time so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I also incorporated the vast majority of your food tips. Mild exercise helps. Dh and I started tai chi classes this fall. Dh has recently been diagnosed with arthritis in his lower spine.

A doc can order X-rays of the problem joints. Give you a firm diagnosis. But otherwise pain management for severe cases is about all they can do. Check into glucosamine and chondroitin. That does help.

Baby your elbow for a while. When if feels better, mild gentle exercise might help.

I suffered joint pain for several years, especially in my hips. It was sporadic, sometimes hurting everyday and then not hurting for several weeks. Occasional my hip joint would hurt so bad it would wake me at night.

In an attempt to clean up my diet I cut out all artificial sweeteners, my main culprit was aspertame, and within a few weeks i realized I was having no joint pain at all. That was about a year ago and I continue to be pain free.

I know your diet is very clean already but I'm throwing it out there just in case. I am 47 and I feel that I do have some arthritic changes in certain joints but I no longer have pain.

I have had problems with joint pain, mainly in my elbows, since I was pregnant with my first child. There is no swelling in the joints, just pain.

I went to the doctor; she took x-rays and did blood tests but found nothing.

The only thing that has helped is lifting weights -- not super heavy, between 3-10 pounds depending on the exercise. If I lift weights regularly, I don't have any joint pain.

I had something that was initially diagnosed as tennis elbow, which sounds similar to your description. I finally saw a physio, who put it down to a nerve problem centred in my neck. He did some manipulation and gave me some exercises to do. My elbow is now fine.

I do have more general aches, but this one was specific and curable.

Laura

have you tried pilates or yoga for building muscles in your back and stomach? This has totally eradicated my back pain.

Also, I'd go to the dr, about the elbow. My dh had an achy shoulder for probably 4 years. Playing softball was agonizing for him, but he was afraid that he'd need surgery. Finally he went to the dr and mentioned it. The dr. said it was an inflamed bursa sac and gave him some meds to take before ball games. For 4 years he put up with pain and all he needed was some anti-inflammatory pills. Your solution might be as simple.

I wonder if the elbow is caused by something different to the legs and back.Legs and back does sound suspiciously like arthritis - try taking cod liver oil, glucosamine and chondroitin, and get lots of low impact exercise for the areas.

The elbow I would probably go and see the doctor about if it were me.

MSM (methylsulfony something. If you google MSM, there's a lot of info out there regarding this supplement). I'm taking 6,000 mg of MSM with 2,000 mg of Vit. C. My knees were aching when I was doing Jillian Michael's videos back go back, and started taking MSM. It helped eased away the pain, and found that I can do jump moves like in P90X/Insanity now, and my knees are fine. I also had this nagging pain on my elbows, and that also disappeared.

I'm older than you.:(( I'm 46.

Is it worse when a low pressure system comes through?

Yes- I do think it is worse when a low comes through- I noticed that last week when w had unusually humid overcast weather- but yesterday and this morning it is clear and sunny and its painful- so its not the only factor. thanks- its a good point.

Exercise - strengthening the muscles around the areas that are bothering you can make a huge difference.

Thankyou- I have been slack about my yoga and other exercises- I still walk, but I know I need to do more. I really hope its not arthritis ...sorry you are having to deal with that.

I'm 33 and discovered I had arthritis when I was in my late twenties, which actually began when I was in my late TEENS. It's not just an aged issue!

I'm supposed to be taking fish oil, but I always forget. :glare:

Oh dear. Yes...i know fish oil is recommended but I would rather take chia seeds..I am also slack about taking supplements consistently.

Sounds like my arthritis. Sounds exactly like my arthritis.

It is hereditary in my family. That was not realized until I started having issues at 23. Now we protect dd's joints as well we can. Knee pads when ice skating etc.

What works best for me is heat. Heating pad, hot water bottle. I have it in my knees and hands. I don't do much about the stiffness except walk it off. Once the fluid gets flowing I don't have continuous pain from the lotus position style of sitting.

I have had problems with joint pain, mainly in my elbows, since I was pregnant with my first child. There is no swelling in the joints, just pain.

I went to the doctor; she took x-rays and did blood tests but found nothing.

The only thing that has helped is lifting weights -- not super heavy, between 3-10 pounds depending on the exercise. If I lift weights regularly, I don't have any joint pain.

Darn it. I dont want it to be arthritis :) Yes, I have some weights..I always tell other middle aged women that you really have to take care of your body in your 40s- I had better listen to myself and get moving.

Interesting short article on menopause and estrogen-level and their effect on joints.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5382517_achy-joints-menopause.html

Very interesting article, thanks- it wouldnt surprise me if that is what it is. My hormones seem out of whack too, again, after a few months of being pretty settled.

I had something that was initially diagnosed as tennis elbow, which sounds similar to your description. I finally saw a physio, who put it down to a nerve problem centred in my neck. He did some manipulation and gave me some exercises to do. My elbow is now fine.

I do have more general aches, but this one was specific and curable.

Laura

Yes- I have just written "phone chiropractor" on my To Do list- thanks Laura. Its definitely worth a try.

have you tried pilates or yoga for building muscles in your back and stomach? This has totally eradicated my back pain.

Also, I'd go to the dr, about the elbow. My dh had an achy shoulder for probably 4 years. Playing softball was agonizing for him, but he was afraid that he'd need surgery. Finally he went to the dr and mentioned it. The dr. said it was an inflamed bursa sac and gave him some meds to take before ball games. For 4 years he put up with pain and all he needed was some anti-inflammatory pills. Your solution might be as simple.

I know I need to go back to my yoga practice. I am slack- I just need to do it. I dont want to take anti inflammatories- yet. The pain is not that severe- yet. ANd as Jean below has recommended- there are some natural anti-inflammatories I woudl try first. But thankyou...if it gets much worse and nothing much helps, I will go to the doctor.

I would go to a chiropractor first.

Then if it persisted, I would figure it was inflammation. For that, I would take Quercetin[/url] and Meriva SR.

Thanks Jean- good suggestions- now on my list.

I am goig to try glucosamine and chondroitin I think...after the chiro. thanks. I will get to the doctor once i have tried a few things.

I hope it doesnt get to that, but I will keep it in mind :) thanks.

Mmm, MSM- yes, I have some of that too. OK- I will put some in my drinking water.

Thanks everyone....that gives me a range of things to work with...need to get my yoga mat and weights out again...need to phone the chiro...and start on some supplements. I really hope it isnt arthritis but if I start treating it as if it is, maybe I can stop it getting worse.

thanks again

Peela, what other natural anti-inflammatories will you try?

I am :bigear: on this thread because I just started working out again hard and want to avoid aggravating my joint pain!

BTW, one that I was reading up on that's supposed to be "as effective as ibuprofen" is curcumin-excellent antiinflammatory, plus supposed to be anti-cancer, anti-Alzheimer's, etc.

I am :bigear: on this thread because I just started working out again hard and want to avoid aggravating my joint pain!

BTW, one that I was reading up on that's supposed to be "as effective as ibuprofen" is curcumin-excellent antiinflammatory, plus supposed to be anti-cancer, anti-Alzheimer's, etc.

The Meriva SR that I linked to is curcumin.

Curcumin is from turmeric- I love turmeric. For now I might just dose myself up on the herb in my food while I try other things.

I am not sure yet what ant inflammatories I will try- and what are available to me locally. I know there is a lot of research done lately in this area, so I am going to check it out.

However, I am also of the mindset that I would like to try one thing at a time, so that I know what actuallyworks. If I try everything at once, I wont know which specific thing is having an effect. SO I am goign to go to the chiro first, and then get back into yoga...while I research supplements more.

Enbrel, tart cherry juice, celebrex, professional massages, hot baths, and not allow myself to get chilled. :grouphug:

Wow, enbrel looks like serious stuff. I hope I dont get that bad. You must have a serious condition. :grouphug:

I love hot baths. Its summer here, very hot, and dh has the air con on ALL DAY. I dont like it because I would rather be slightly warm than slightly cool and i often have goosebumps from the cold. I might go get myself a hot pack wihle I have my afternoon nap.

Massages....I wish! We were in Bali in November...massages every day. Yum. Cant really afford them here.

Cherry juice- yes, I have heard about that one too.

thanks

I have info on arthritis (which I hope it's not, and actually I doubt that it is). Here's the info I have on achy joints. Sorry if some of the info has already been mentioned here. Rather rushed this morning. Peela, I'm sure you know most of this already. I hope you find relief soon. :grouphug:

SUPPLEMENTS

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Carlson’s Fish Oil – Omega 3s are anti-inflammatory - Carlson's is pretty much the only one I will take. It's actually the only fish oil I've ever taken.

1500 mg Glucosamine and 1200 mg Choindrotin Sulfate 3 times a day- try it for 3 months and see if you notice a difference

40-80 mg Hyaluronic Acid (HA) – “Hyal-Joint”

5 grams of the sugar D-ribose twice daily will stimulate the production of ATP, the fuel that powers your body’s tissues and muscles. People who suffer from excessive joint and muscle pain and fibromyalgia (widespread muscle pain) often have low levels of ribose.

More illnesses are caused by a need for magnesium than for calcium.

Arthritis and joint pain are caused by excessive calcium and insufficient magnesium.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (which most of us do) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Some say to not take magnesium with calcium - I think that that is preferable.

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

For more magnesium, see my tip below on Epsom Salts.

NUTRITION

Often, dehydration causes joint pain, which progresses to stiff pain. Make sure you’re drinking enough water!

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Chia Seeds, Walnuts – these are naturally anti-inflammatory

Green Tea - 4 cups of green tea daily with a squirt of lemon juice. Green tea can help reduce joint pain greatly.

Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Some studies suggest it works to ease the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also help with other inflammatory conditions, such as tendinitis. Try to consume a soupspoon of turmeric every day, with a pinch of black pepper and olive oil. You can use it in all your cooking.

Eat 1 cup a day of red or purple fruits, such as berries, cherries, pomegranates, red grapes – or drink 1 cup of juice without added sugar – these food-based antioxidants help ease inflammation and joint disease like arthritis

Eat cherries as often as possible. Consuming 20 a day (about 2000 mg of cherry fruit extract) has been proven to provide more pain relief than aspirin and other painkillers.

Eat them fresh or dried, and mix a bit of tart cherry juice with water, particularly when you’re working out—to lessen joint inflammation from exercise.

Sesame Seeds provide plenty of copper, a nutrient essential for joint health – just don’t overdo copper

EXERCISE, SLEEP, ETC.

ACUPUNCTURE helps with all sorts of pain. This would be my first option. :thumbup:

CHIROPRACTIC/MASSAGE – both help immensely with pain

Be aware that you should wait for any inflammation to subside before starting either.

HYDROTHERAPY has been proven to help with arthritis. No medicine on the market can rival the physiological effects of water. Warm to hot water eases joint pain by reducing swelling and increasing blood flow to fight inflammation.

Begin with a daily 10-minute walk, take up a gentle yoga class, or try the slow movement of Tai Chi. Doing Tai Chi twice a week reduces knee pain, as does strengthening your hips with conditioning exercises.

Water aerobics, gentle yoga, and swimming help also.

LOSING WEIGHT is key – even 5 extra pounds of weight increases the load on your knees tenfold. But you don't have knee problems and I know that your weight is at an ideal level.

SLEEP - Get enough sleep. Your body needs a full night of quality sleep to fight pain.

EPSOM SALTS

Take a hot bath with up to 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda to help draw impurities out of the body – try to do this once a week!

To make a strong Epsom salt bath, double to quadruple the amount of Epsom salt.

No more than 20 minutes

----

Epsom salt baths are the oldest and cheapest ways of relaxing muscles and settling nerves.

Epsom salts is one of the most highly absorbed magnesium compounds known (easily absorbed through the skin or digestive tract).

Epsom salts are routinely used for: soothing relief from

• Arthritic pain; reducing stiffness, soreness, and tightness of joints

• Improving discomfort from muscle aches, pains and tenderness

• Soothing painful bruises, sprains and strains

• Alleviating pain from over exertion during sport activities

• Improving the body's sleeping and resting productivity

• Increasing and improving body energy levels

• Improving the rate of natural body healing

• Soothing away stress

• Deep cleaning skin and pores

• Taking the sting out of insect bites and drawing out splinters

HTH. :grouphug:

I am finding that my joints are aching a fair bit. In particular, my left elbow- when I go for a walk and it hangs and swings- after a while, it stiffens up and becomes painful. I am at the point where it hurts significantly to lift anything with my left arm. But its not just my elbow- that is the worst joint consistently- but also my lower back at times, sometimes quite badly (I have taken painkillers for that) and my legs- often when I stand up from lying down my whole legs and especially my feet are achey. Even when I get up from the computer chair, I find I kind of hobble a bit until the nagging aching goes. Its like I stiffen when I am still for too long.

I feel its not as bad as people who have fibromyalgia complain of. Some days when it is particularly bad lately I have searched the internet and I am looking at things like Ross River virus which is prevalent here in Australia...but I don't have a fever. It does come and go although the elbow is always there to some extent.

Any ideas? I did book an appt with the doctor but then cancelled it because I really dont think they are good with this sort of thing, and I wanted to give myself more of a chance to deal with it myself. I wouldn't take any medications anyway- it's not bad enough for that.

I had Ross River 4 years ago. I had no fever at all, just incredible joint pain and fatigue , especially in the afternoon. I went to the doctor crying, thinking that I had rheumatism or chronic arthritis, and that I was going to be a cripple for life. fortunately the doctor has had lots of experience with Ross River, and knew what I had immediately. There is nothing really that can be done as far as treatment. but it was a relief to know what it was. I had to have 2 positive blood tests 4 months apart to confirm it.

4 years later I still get relapse pain. I now have prosthetic supports for my feet ( one of the worst spots for me) and a wrist brace when I am working on the computer. They really helps, apart from that I am fine.

I had Ross River 4 years ago. I had no fever at all, just incredible joint pain and fatigue , especially in the afternoon. I went to the doctor crying, thinking that I had rheumatism or chronic arthritis, and that I was going to be a cripple for life. fortunately the doctor has had lots of experience with Ross River, and knew what I had immediately. There is nothing really that can be done as far as treatment. but it was a relief to know what it was. I had to have 2 positive blood tests 4 months apart to confirm it.

4 years later I still get relapse pain. I now have prosthetic supports for my feet ( one of the worst spots for me) and a wrist brace when I am working on the computer. They really helps, apart from that I am fine.

Darn it, Melissa...yes, thats what dh thinks it is. I guess I had better go to the doctor to get the blood tests. Not that there is any treatment anyway.

We live fairly near a swampy area of the river, and recently I have been bitten many times by mosquitos. The timing would be right for Ross River. DH and I have just been on the computer researching RR. This afternoon I feel the worst I have felt- aching all over and tired- and I just slept for 2 hours but I just want to go back to sleep. I just did half an hour of very, very gentle yoga and it wiped me out.

I hope it isnt. But it does seem likely. And yes...my feet hurt!

I have info on arthritis (which I hope it's not, and actually I doubt that it is). Here's the info I have on achy joints. Sorry if some of the info has already been mentioned here. Rather rushed this morning. Peela, I'm sure you know most of this already. I hope you find relief soon. :grouphug:

SUPPLEMENTS

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Carlson’s Fish Oil – Omega 3s are anti-inflammatory - Carlson's is pretty much the only one I will take. It's actually the only fish oil I've ever taken.

1500 mg Glucosamine and 1200 mg Choindrotin Sulfate 3 times a day- try it for 3 months and see if you notice a difference

40-80 mg Hyaluronic Acid (HA) – “Hyal-Jointâ€

5 grams of the sugar D-ribose twice daily will stimulate the production of ATP, the fuel that powers your body’s tissues and muscles. People who suffer from excessive joint and muscle pain and fibromyalgia (widespread muscle pain) often have low levels of ribose.

More illnesses are caused by a need for magnesium than for calcium.

Arthritis and joint pain are caused by excessive calcium and insufficient magnesium.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (which most of us do) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Some say to not take magnesium with calcium - I think that that is preferable.

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

For more magnesium, see my tip below on Epsom Salts.

NUTRITION

Often, dehydration causes joint pain, which progresses to stiff pain. Make sure you’re drinking enough water!

Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Chia Seeds, Walnuts – these are naturally anti-inflammatory

Green Tea - 4 cups of green tea daily with a squirt of lemon juice. Green tea can help reduce joint pain greatly.

Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Some studies suggest it works to ease the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also help with other inflammatory conditions, such as tendinitis. Try to consume a soupspoon of turmeric every day, with a pinch of black pepper and olive oil. You can use it in all your cooking.

Eat 1 cup a day of red or purple fruits, such as berries, cherries, pomegranates, red grapes – or drink 1 cup of juice without added sugar – these food-based antioxidants help ease inflammation and joint disease like arthritis

Eat cherries as often as possible. Consuming 20 a day (about 2000 mg of cherry fruit extract) has been proven to provide more pain relief than aspirin and other painkillers.

Eat them fresh or dried, and mix a bit of tart cherry juice with water, particularly when you’re working out—to lessen joint inflammation from exercise.

Sesame Seeds provide plenty of copper, a nutrient essential for joint health – just don’t overdo copper

EXERCISE, SLEEP, ETC.

ACUPUNCTURE helps with all sorts of pain. This would be my first option. :thumbup:

CHIROPRACTIC/MASSAGE – both help immensely with pain

Be aware that you should wait for any inflammation to subside before starting either.

HYDROTHERAPY has been proven to help with arthritis. No medicine on the market can rival the physiological effects of water. Warm to hot water eases joint pain by reducing swelling and increasing blood flow to fight inflammation.

Begin with a daily 10-minute walk, take up a gentle yoga class, or try the slow movement of Tai Chi. Doing Tai Chi twice a week reduces knee pain, as does strengthening your hips with conditioning exercises.

Water aerobics, gentle yoga, and swimming help also.

LOSING WEIGHT is key – even 5 extra pounds of weight increases the load on your knees tenfold. But you don't have knee problems and I know that your weight is at an ideal level.

SLEEP - Get enough sleep. Your body needs a full night of quality sleep to fight pain.

EPSOM SALTS

Take a hot bath with up to 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda to help draw impurities out of the body – try to do this once a week!

To make a strong Epsom salt bath, double to quadruple the amount of Epsom salt.

No more than 20 minutes

----

Epsom salt baths are the oldest and cheapest ways of relaxing muscles and settling nerves.

Epsom salts is one of the most highly absorbed magnesium compounds known (easily absorbed through the skin or digestive tract).

Epsom salts are routinely used for: soothing relief from

• Arthritic pain; reducing stiffness, soreness, and tightness of joints

• Improving discomfort from muscle aches, pains and tenderness

• Soothing painful bruises, sprains and strains

• Alleviating pain from over exertion during sport activities

• Improving the body's sleeping and resting productivity

• Increasing and improving body energy levels

• Improving the rate of natural body healing

• Soothing away stress

• Deep cleaning skin and pores

• Taking the sting out of insect bites and drawing out splinters

HTH. :grouphug:

Thanks Negin....most of that stuff I am aware of...I am going to run myself an epsom salts bath this evening. I forget all these things.

I am thinking this must be viral or hormonal because if it was something like Mg deficiency, the symptoms wouldnt have come on so quickly...and also, I often take Mg anyway- high doses. So I doubt that is the cause, however it might alleviate the symptoms.

And I am going to make myself some dinner with a heap of turmeric in it.

I bought the equivalent of UDO's oils today, and some glucosamine/chondroitin. I am seeing the chiro on Saturday.

But if it is Ross River virus, its unlikely nothing much will help much.

Wow, enbrel looks like serious stuff. I hope I dont get that bad. You must have a serious condition. :grouphug:

I love hot baths. Its summer here, very hot, and dh has the air con on ALL DAY. I dont like it because I would rather be slightly warm than slightly cool and i often have goosebumps from the cold. I might go get myself a hot pack wihle I have my afternoon nap.

Massages....I wish! We were in Bali in November...massages every day. Yum. Cant really afford them here.

Cherry juice- yes, I have heard about that one too.

thanks

Dh give me weekly massages but when things are really bad I do get out for a "real" massage, probably every 6-9 months. I wish I could afford it more frequently.

The cherry juice needs to come from the freezer section, not shelf stable, I've learned. I order it and it arrives frozen, packed in ice. Montemorency cherry juice. Takes about a month to notice it working.

Peela - since anti-inflammatories are often recommended to treat the symptoms of Ross River virus, you should be fine using the natural anti-inflammatories. I also read that it tends to leave toxins in the liver. High doses of vitamin C were recommended for that. I have absolutely no idea but you might research if having a liver detox (once you're feeling a bit better) might not help you. You might also look into general immune system builders to help your body fight it.

The number one cause of my inflammation and stiffness is not keeping my thyroid meds at the right levels, but even once that is managed, I still need to do quite a bit of what has been mentioned already, and I am only 35. I have many family members diagnosed with fibromyalgia (mother, grandmother, and two sisters) and they prefer to take prescription meds, but I have had great success supplementing with D3, fish oil, and magnesium. I drink lots of green tea, and make sure that berries, cherries, and turmeric are in my diet in adequate amounts. But I have to say that I just slashed most of my back pain and stiffness by simply replacing my office chair with a Swiss ball. I can't believe what a huge difference this has made in how I feel! I am not sure whether it is something about the ball itself or that my chair was just really bad for my back, probably a combination of the two things.

Peela - since anti-inflammatories are often recommended to treat the symptoms of Ross River virus, you should be fine using the natural anti-inflammatories. I also read that it tends to leave toxins in the liver. High doses of vitamin C were recommended for that. I have absolutely no idea but you might research if having a liver detox (once you're feeling a bit better) might not help you. You might also look into general immune system builders to help your body fight it.

Thanks Jean. My normal diet is virtually the diet people go on for liver cleanses anyway! Sans the herbs. And unfortunately my body does not handle Vitamin C in any manufactured form, although I can handle camu berry and that sort of whole food source. And, I am on immune builders..my favourite right now is reishi mushroom which I have been on for a few weeks.

So...I am on the right track anyway, I think....but I need to learn more about natural anti inflamatories and see which ones and what form might suit me. This could be a long term thing and I prefer whole food sources, although that might not be enough.

Peela and others, hope everyone finds relief soon. :grouphug: Been thinking of you all.

If you have access to a good acupuncturist, I have read that it relieves arthritis pain in 90% of people. Worth a try. Takes about 6 sessions, or maybe (hopefully less). I LOVE acupuncture. Haven't needed it yet myself. But do want to give it a try. I love what I've seen it do to friends and family.