Menu

Dh hade a heart attack Saturday morning, hope to be home today

I have not been around much at all so if I was supposed to answer anyone, that is why--esp. on the special needs board.

My dh is only 45 and at the doctor Tuesday they said he was in very good shape and other than working on his blood sugars--they upped his meds for Type II diabetes and said he should work on loosing a bit of weight--he was declared perfectly healthy.

Saturday morning I took him to the ER (yes I drove in a snow storm 45 minutes away to a heart center). In less than an hour from the time he arrived at the ER he was up in the cath lab having surgery and 2 stents put in.

He is doing better but has had a fever off and on and his blood sugars were 200-305 all day Sunday despite insulin but were down to 117 this morning.

I have not been around much at all so if I was supposed to answer anyone, that is why--esp. on the special needs board.

My dh is only 45 and at the doctor Tuesday they said he was in very good shape and other than working on his blood sugars--they upped his meds for Type II diabetes and said he should work on loosing a bit of weight--he was declared perfectly healthy.

Saturday morning I took him to the ER (yes I drove in a snow storm 45 minutes away to a heart center). In less than an hour from the time he arrived at the ER he was up in the cath lab having surgery and 2 stents put in.

He is doing better but has had a fever off and on and his blood sugars were 200-305 all day Sunday despite insulin but were down to 117 this morning.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Prayers....and I am making dh read this.

Please keep us updated....

Faithe

Ottakee,

:grouphug:

You all will be in my prayers!

My DH is a cath lab technician so I've heard similar stories. I am glad they got to him in time.

Many years ago, they started timing from the door of the ER to a stent being put in. The first time they got it under 30 minutes, the doc told my DH, "Stop f---ing around and give me the real time." DH insisted it was 27 minutes and the whole team cheered.

I guess now they can regularly do it in 20 minutes.

Time is tissue...you probably saved a lot of tissue by taking him to a heart center.

My DH's paternal Grandpa died at 52 from a heart attack, and his dad had one at 53, that thankfully he survived and recovered from well. I have been gently trying to get DH's attention about the fact that we are creeping up on the ages when these things REALLY do happen to people our age.

BTW, DH's dad had almost no damaged tissue - and they thought he wouldn't live the heart attack was so bad - because he got in the cath lab so quickly.

Hang in there.

My DH's paternal Grandpa died at 52 from a heart attack, and his dad had one at 53, that thankfully he survived and recovered from well. I have been gently trying to get DH's attention about the fact that we are creeping up on the ages when these things REALLY do happen to people our age.

BTW, DH's dad had almost no damaged tissue - and they thought he wouldn't live the heart attack was so bad - because he got in the cath lab so quickly.

Hang in there.

Early family history of a heart attack is a HUGE indicator. Your DH can't mess around with this AT ALL.

Early family history of a heart attack is a HUGE indicator. Your DH can't mess around with this AT ALL.

I know - it really worries me. He still thinks he's bullet proof. :banghead:

He turns 38 in about a month, and I know that is still young- but if he doesn't start doing things NOW, it will be a lot harder to start, and maybe too late :(

I know - it really worries me. He still thinks he's bullet proof. :banghead:

He turns 38 in about a month, and I know that is still young- but if he doesn't start doing things NOW, it will be a lot harder to start, and maybe too late :(

If it is OK with you, I'll pray for him to have a change of heart. (pun? :D)

FWIW -- DH has taken care of patients in their 30s. I am not sure if family history is the only indicator, tho.

He did just have someone this weekend who is 41.

If it is OK with you, I'll pray for him to have a change of heart. (pun? :D)

FWIW -- DH has taken care of patients in their 30s. I am not sure if family history is the only indicator, tho.

He did just have someone this weekend who is 41.

That is very kind of you - thank you.

Well - I think he is finally listening a bit - in that he is talking about setting up some weights and running with my son. He is deployed right now - and when he is deployed he is very good about exercising - but when he is here is says he is too busy. I've mentioned his dad and gpa frequently lately...

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Oh, my. That's unreal. I'm so glad he's OK and you bravely made through all that snow. Praying for him and for you! :grouphug: