Menu

It's amazing what I've learned in two weeks!

Well, two weeks in and my son and I are both still kicking! It's been hard, fun, tiring, fascinating, educating, and more! I just thought I'd share my little tidbits to anyone who may be on the fence--but mostly I'd just like to share with some like-minded parents!

1. Lesson plans can be wonderful things--but I haven't done exactly what is on the plan yet--not one single day!

2. My son is just as bright as I thought he was, though his attention span is very short and he needs a lot of positive reinforcement to stay motivated.

3. I find that my brain is still fully functioning even after all of these years--much more so than I thought! This experience could be great for both of us!

4. My son's attitude is already improving away from the corrosive influence of his "friends."

5. Time flies! I was afraid we would be trying to fill up the day, but instead the day ends and we have things left to do!

6. My favorite curriculum component doesn't impress my son, and is turning out to be rather cumbersome for our particular situation. Sigh. One of the hardest things is to remember that he is learning, not me, and so it has to be geared for him. Sigh again.

I'm sure more will be revealed in the fullness of time. Right now I am SO glad that I finally had the courage to take this step, and I am so excited about where we can go in the future!

That's great!!! I saw your post on the manners thread and was wondering how you were doing. :)

So what is your favorite thing that is getting tossed? It's not like he'll stay at this stage forever. In a few years you'll be picking some things that he does anyway, even if he doesn't like them.

That's great!!! I saw your post on the manners thread and was wondering how you were doing. :)

So what is your favorite thing that is getting tossed? It's not like he'll stay at this stage forever. In a few years you'll be picking some things that he does anyway, even if he doesn't like them.

Well, the MCT Magic Lens level 1 just isn't doing it for him. I have a natural inclination for understanding grammar and I really like the program, but it just isn't sparking. He's doing the work and seems to be learning the material, but I can just see that it is a slog and I'd like to try something different. Also, I'm not crazy about the four part sentence analysis. I prefer diagramming and I ordered a nice, inexpensive book that does traditional diagramming.

I had planned on an actual literature program, but didn't get around to ordering it, and so far we haven't suffered the loss. We're reading shorter real books right now, and I just got finished listening to the Teaching Literary Analysis audio lecture. I'm picking out some material that would be an easy place to start. The only thing I wonder about are things like similie, metaphor, etc. I like the poetry series from MCT and we have talked about a few of them so far--I have the teacher's manual. I think these components are included in that, but I'm worried that might be a bust as well. My son has a very scientific and structured mind, and so far poetry hasn't really impressed him the way it does me. I've tried to convince him that poetry can be very mathematical in nature, but he is skeptical to say the least!

What about the Rod and Staff English program? It's recommended by TWTM and mentioned in the lectures, but I don't want to invest blindly in another program.

The last thing I found out is that I started too low with spelling, so I'm waiting on new spelling workbook to arrive.

Did you see the Figuratively Speaking in my sig? That would work for him. No, you don't need the R&S english if you're already doing those other things. It's a traditional grammar program with some writing. There are samples online so you can see for yourself if it duplicates what you're doing.

Well, I'd most likely be looking to replace the MCT. He has a good grasp of parts of speech, but there are lots of things to be learned in grammar and I strongly feel that it should be done all four years of the middle grades. However, if we do Latin and diagramming, is that enough? Does diagramming give you the knowledge? I do NOT want to skimp in this area, particularly because it is not his favorite subject and therefore undoubtedly needs attention.

I will check out that Figuratively Speaking thing.

Is there some reason you aren't looking at Analytical Grammar? We've been so slacking at getting to our Shurley, I sorely wish at this point I had bought it and been done with it. Crazy efficient, does what you want.

Okay, Elizabeth, you just chose our grammar program for next year. :lol:

I may as well try out Figuratively Speaking, too, but I so much wanted to try Sentence Composing by Killgallon but I don't know if we can manage it all. :)

I'm not "not looking" at anything--I look at everything. That's my problem. I look. And look. And then I look some more. When it comes to science and history and things I know very well what my son likes and I can just about pick things very well. However, this is a tough choice and from his point of view I'm looking for the best possible option of something he's just not that crazy about. The bad thing is that I don't want to invest much money in anything else right now.

We can easily use MCT for the rest of this year since I'm getting that diagramming book. Not to toot my own horn, but I think I do a fair job of teaching the subject--but it's a shame because basically I'm just using MCT as a guide and doing my own thing. However, I don't want to use it again as our grammar program for next year.

I will absolutely check out any and all programs that seem likely. I just considered the Rod and Staff because SWB recommends it in the lecture, and the table of contents page looks pretty thorough. I haven't looked at Shurley yet.

As far as diagramming goes, I don't think my mind will be changed, not that anyone is trying to change it. To me, diagramming offers a visual structure to a sentence that allows the parts of speech to "belong" and make sense. I believed this long before I heard SWB say it. I think it will fit into my son's learning style a little better. I hope.

Well R&S will send you free samples. My dd doesn't like grammar, and R&S didn't get her any closer, bleh. I like to make grammar come alive, but it's a lot easier with something that STARTS a bit pleasant, lol. You could probably pick up a Shurley workbook inexpensively. The tm's run about $10 on the used market occasionally. I got my tm on the amazon marketplace. Or look at the scope & sequence for AG and cover just what they would cover in season one. Use the diagramming workbook you have coming and cover it, making sure you hit those season 1 grammar concepts from AG. Then when you get AG for next fall quickly test through and you're golden to go into season 2.

How to put this nicely? MCT is the new kid on the block, where AG has been around for a long time and used successfully by a lot of people. You weren't really comparing equal things. No beef with MCT, just saying they're different.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I guess a major hurdle for everyone to overcome is finding a program that suits the child--not just the teacher! I really like MCT. I like the notion of introducing all of the major aspects right up front and then going back over them again and again. I like this idea better than having to wait a year or longer to introduce what I consider to be important topics.

For the most part, my son is already reasonably comfortable with basic parts of speech. We just need to build on that knowledge and work on diagramming. I know it's just trial and error. The main thing is paying out for something that turns out to be, as OhElizabeth said, bleh.

I had planned on an actual literature program, but didn't get around to ordering it, and so far we haven't suffered the loss. We're reading shorter real books right now, and I just got finished listening to the Teaching Literary Analysis audio lecture. I'm picking out some material that would be an easy place to start. The only thing I wonder about are things like similie, metaphor, etc. I like the poetry series from MCT and we have talked about a few of them so far--I have the teacher's manual. I think these components are included in that, but I'm worried that might be a bust as well. My son has a very scientific and structured mind, and so far poetry hasn't really impressed him the way it does me. I've tried to convince him that poetry can be very mathematical in nature, but he is skeptical to say the least!

R&S goes into poetry and figurative language in its writing lessons. You could look at those lessons and draw from them to make up your own lessons that you might want to do with your son. Also, I can't remember if it's on the Lit. Analysis lecture or the high school writing lecture, but SWB recommends a book on literary terms, and suggests a way to use it with high schoolers.

What about the Rod and Staff English program? It's recommended by TWTM and mentioned in the lectures, but I don't want to invest blindly in another program.

R&S is a thorough grammar program. I'm on book 7, and have used it since book 3. It can get boring, but for me it's one of those things that I just want my kids to buckle down and learn, so we learn it. I make it as efficient as possible, by asking the oral review questions, letting my kids read the lesson and ask me any questions to clarify concepts, and letting them answer the exercises orally, except for the diagraming - that they put on paper themselves.

However, if we do Latin and diagramming, is that enough?

I have read, and I believe this now (from going from no Latin background to being halfway through Henle 1), that if you know Latin quite well, you can teach English grammar through it. But if you don't know Latin well, you might not be able to do such a good job teaching English grammar through Latin. But that is something you alone can evaluate about yourself. I couldn't have done it - and I still couldn't! :lol:

Analytical Grammar does what you're saying, teaching it all upfront and working on it with review pages the rest of the semester. It's a traditional approach, just a different timetable. R&S is totally traditional. You can get free samples of R&S to have a look at it yourself, so it's definitely worth doing if it's at all in the running. AG has extensive samples online too.

Is there some reason you aren't looking at Analytical Grammar? We've been so slacking at getting to our Shurley, I sorely wish at this point I had bought it and been done with it. Crazy efficient, does what you want.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: So are you going to come see me at the MidWest fair again this year, Elizabeth? I tried to tell you! (Don't forget to attend the workshop; you'll save 10%!)

Lovingly,

Erin from AG

Oh Erin, you're too funny! I didn't know you gave out coupons at the workshops, cool! This past year we got derailed because dd needed vision therapy. We're back on track now. It's just that Shurley has this extra workbook of stuff (editing, forming plurals and possessives, that type thing) that I really wanted to do to be thorough. It's just not easy to speed up. So you'll be at the convention again? How is your mom doing? I've been signed up for ages. Definitely looking forward to it, if only for the break. :)