Menu

Science that's all-inclusive?

boscopup

I'm looking at science for next year (second grade). I was planning to do ES Biology or maybe the Earth Science (since my son LOVES weather). The one thing that's holding me back? Lack of an experiment kit. I just HATE trying to put together materials for experiments. I'm doing ES Intro to Science this year, and first, I don't always have the materials that it calls for (like clear film canisters - I haven't owned a film camera in YEARS), so then I end up having to find a good substitute. My son loves the experiments, and most of them are easy to do. But I still have to put together the materials. I'd love to have an open and go curriculum with an experiment kit that has everything right there for me.

I drool over the kits for Apologia from Nature's Workshop Plus, where they have *everything* you need except water and maybe a bowl. And it's all in baggies labeled by week, I believe? THAT is what I'm looking for. But I don't particularly want to spend a whole year (or even a whole semester) on one Apologia book. I'd like a little more diverse set of topics (not just birds week after week). Plus I'm really leaning toward something that includes weather study, as DS is a huge weather geek. Apologia doesn't have an earth science book yet.

So what are my options? Note that I am a Young Earth Creationist. I don't need the curriculum to be overtly Christian - it's fine if it's secular and just doesn't talk about the controversial subjects (as ES, RSO, etc. do).

I was looking at Sonlight Science 2... the DVDs with it look cool, and the topics look like ones my son would really enjoy (and the tag-along preschooler too - he's in a dinosaur phase). Does the experiment kit come with everything? Is it organized or just a bunch of stuff in a box?

Other suggestions?

A little secret that I guess is time to let out of the bag, since I just posted it over at the yahoo group, we are currently working on putting experiment kits together. The Intro one should be ready in another week or so and hopefully we'll have kits for biology, earth science/astronomy and chemistry by August. Maybe that will help you make your decision :).

A little secret that I guess is time to let out of the bag, since I just posted it over at the yahoo group, we are currently working on putting experiment kits together. The Intro one should be ready in another week or so and hopefully we'll have kits for biology, earth science/astronomy and chemistry by August. Maybe that will help you make your decision :).

Oh -- that sounds super!

Oh cool! :party:

:party: I love the curriculum (we are doing Intro right now) and was planning on doing biology next year, but I had been checking this thread because I knew I could convinced to switch if I found something with the experiment kits. Great timing!