Menu

Does SWB review curriculum?...more..

Years ago I used to go to her website, I thought, and she posted reveiws about different curriculum? Where is that? I can't find it anymore..

Kim

There are recommendations in the WTM book but you may be thinking of Cathy Duffy's website, the author of 100 Top Curriculum Picks. Her website includes curriculum reviews. I don't know about the WTM website but I have not seen reviews personally.

Years ago I used to go to her website, I thought, and she posted reveiws about different curriculum? Where is that? I can't find it anymore..

Kim

SWB used to post reviews about different curriculum but quit doing it some time ago. I seem to remember the reason being that it always generated so much angst and controversy that she decided to stop offering the reviews.

Yeah...I remember one review that she hadn't finished and I kept checking back and I don't think it ever got finished. I liked reading those but I understand why she quit....

I think it was on the old WTM sight. Not sure now...it was SEVERAL years ago.

I know of Cathy Duffy's sight but the ones I seem to be interested in reading are in her book :glare:, and not on her sight. But...thankfully the library has her book, it is just checked out.

Oh well...bummer...

SWB used to post reviews about different curriculum but quit doing it some time ago. I seem to remember the reason being that it always generated so much angst and controversy that she decided to stop offering the reviews.

I had no idea. I guess it was before my time but I definitely understand why she stopped :).

Yeah, there were two reasons. The first was the angst factor, which I just decided I could no longer deal with. If I hated a curriculum I wouldn't even review it, but I often found particular elements of curricula I did like that I thought were less than great. And I thought parents should know about those things. (I never found reviewers who always post wonderful things about every curriculum helpful.) Then, whenever I expressed a mixed opinion, I would get three simultaneous reactions. 1) A small but determined group of people would keep insisting that the program was perfect and pointing out all the reasons I was wrong. 2) A larger group of people, mostly new homeschoolers, who had been using that curriculum with perfect success would panic and ask what I'd recommend instead. 3) Half the time, the curriculum writer/publisher would either go on the attack or write long pleading messages asking me to revise my opinion.

That was all just too tiring. And, I think, a symptom of the reliance on experts that I talk about in my "Training Our Own Minds" workshop.

And the second was that I got overwhelmed by requests for reviews. It takes a lot of time and research to write a decent, helpful review, and I decided that time would be better spent on my own projects. Mom and I both thought it would better to only discuss curricula that we decided to include in TWTM (and those, let me hurry to say, are SOME of the good options out there, and obviously have their own problems as well).

This is actually an interesting topic for me, thus the long post. :001_smile:

SWB

Thank you for sharing this Susan. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! We can review curriculum and it is taken with a grain of salt, since our review applies only as it relates to our family. A review coming from you is taken seriously, hence the controversy :tongue_smilie:. Personally, I am happy seeing you focus on your projects. That is what I am most interested in seeing from you and PHP. As for reviews I can get them anywhere ;), I can then evaluate whether the comments apply to my family or not.

• 3 weeks later...