Menu

Michael's just lost my business

I hadn't actually been in a Michael's since they made me mad by throwing away the plastic bag I said I didn't need because I brought my own bags. That was like a year ago.

Today, I went shopping for craft stuff for the children's center at Estrella War, and was about to drop a good $50 of the SCA's money on them. That was, until they informed me that their educator discount was only for teachers with teacher ID's. Homeschoolers apparently don't count.

So, I went to Jo-Ann's, where I have a 15% educator discount, thank you very much, and besides that had some coupons, and they were running really good sales. I also went to Wal-Mart, where things are just plain cheaper. :tongue_smilie:

That was, until they informed me that their educator discount was only for teachers with teacher ID's. Homeschoolers apparently don't count.

I know of a number of places that require some sort of ID. I have ID that shows that I'm a homeschooling educator. I haven't had any place (that offers a teacher discount) deny me a teacher discount.

I'm in an umbrella school in CA, and when we do school pictures, we always get student id's, and a teacher id with the package. If you are with HSLDA, your card doubles as a teacher id. If you want to make one, I think donnayoung.org has a way to do it. Possibly homeschool buyers discount as well. This is just off the top of my head.

I know of a number of places that require some sort of ID. I have ID that shows that I'm a homeschooling educator. I haven't had any place (that offers a teacher discount) deny me a teacher discount.

Me too. I make my own. But most home school support groups here give one to members too.

I much prefer the selection at Michael's over JoAnne's but -- I have been told by numerous sales associates that Michael's offers no teacher discount, whether public, private or home teacher. :glare: JoAnne's openly advertises that they offer a homeschool teacher discount. I now do the majority of my shopping at JoAnne's.

So, I went to Jo-Ann's, where I have a 15% educator discount, thank you very much, and besides that had some coupons, and they were running really good sales.

PSA: While Michael's doesn't have and educator card we homeschoolers can use, they will accept the Jo-Ann's educator card, and give you the 15% off instead of the 10% off they offer with their card.

I went in and did this multiple times over the holiday, with multiple cashiers. Some were doubtful, but they just asked a manager who told them yes, that was the policy. One cashier even asked, "do I give her 10% off, then?" and was told, "no, 15%". On my whole purchase, no one cared if it was "for the classroom".

I've had at least 2 places over the years (a store and a museum) tell me that I needed a "real" teacher ID or a paystub to get the teacher discount. :(

I hadn't actually been in a Michael's since they made me mad by throwing away the plastic bag I said I didn't need because I brought my own bags. That was like a year ago.

You really didn't go there for a year because they threw away a plastic bag? I must be the world's worst environmentalist, because it would never occur to to get upset over something like that.

The Michael's stores in my area offer teacher discounts to homeschoolers -- or so I have been told -- so maybe some stores are just nicer and easier to deal with than others.

Cat

You really didn't go there for a year because they threw away a plastic bag? I must be the world's worst environmentalist, because it would never occur to to get upset over something like that.

Cat

Funny, because this is what I wanted to respond to from the OP, LOL, not the educator discount part. I can't stand it when stores throw away the bag you don't want them to give you! They put something in it, or otherwise "scrunch" it, before they realize you don't want it, and then don't want to give it to the next customer, so they throw it away. Whenever that happens now I ask them, "Are you going to throw that away if I don't use it?" Most of the time the answer is "No." But if they're going to, I'll take it so I can at least recycle it (they probably won't).

It doesn't really bother me that they asked your for an I.D. A lot of people assume that the state issues homeschoolers a special I.D. Some states do, apparently. Maybe that employee didn't know any better.

How did the conversation go? Was the employee rude? Did you explain to her that you state does not issue such I.D.? When I lived in such a state I just showed a photocopy of my Intent form and had no problems. Our current state sends a red postcard in the mail so I just show that when requesting an educator's discount. It does require some advance planning but the up side is that I get to avoid the hassle of trying to explain to a cashier, waiting for he or she to summon a manager, watching while they stand around scratching their heads, etc.

Maybe you can try again?

We do a yearly motto

That is such a cool thing to do! What's your motto?

Of course, if I asked ds to suggest a motto for our homeschool, it would probably be something along the lines of, "In pursuit of longer vacations and shorted school days." :glare:

We're not exactly talking about a kid with boundless enthusiasm for school... ;)

Cat

That is a pretty normal requirement in our area - Borders and Barnes & Noble both require some sort of proof. I have no problem with that. It is their store after all. LOL

Really?? Barnes and Noble gave me no problem. I just used it tonight too and got 25% off :)

As a matter of fact it's against their policies not to:

• Homeschooling parents.

At Enrollment and renewal homeschooling parents must provide photo ID and a letter with the following information: family name and address; name of homeschooling parent(s); grade level of each child being homeschooled.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-at-school/faq.asp?pid=29904

I didn't need that, but came prepared anyway.

Really?? Barnes and Noble gave me no problem. I just used it tonight too and got 25% off :)

As a matter of fact it's against their policies not to:

• Homeschooling parents.

At Enrollment and renewal homeschooling parents must provide photo ID and a letter with the following information: family name and address; name of homeschooling parent(s); grade level of each child being homeschooled.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-at-school/faq.asp?pid=29904

I didn't need that, but came prepared anyway.

Yes, this is their requirement here--that you have some way to prove you are a real homeschooler. I don't find a problem with it. :001_smile:

Yes, this is their requirement here--that you have some way to prove you are a real homeschooler. I don't find a problem with it. :001_smile:

Well I don't either, as long as it is easily obtainable. Such as a homeschooling intent letter. Regular photo ID I don't have a problme with either. But to require some sort of homeschooling ID, which is the way I took your post to sound, like a PS teacher.... well that's just a bit much IMO.

That is such a cool thing to do! What's your motto?

Of course, if I asked ds to suggest a motto for our homeschool, it would probably be something along the lines of, "In pursuit of longer vacations and shorted school days." :glare:

We're not exactly talking about a kid with boundless enthusiasm for school... ;)

Cat

Our motto this year is Sapientia et Veritas, Wisdom and Truth.

I much prefer the selection at Michael's over JoAnne's but -- I have been told by numerous sales associates that Michael's offers no teacher discount, whether public, private or home teacher. :glare: JoAnne's openly advertises that they offer a homeschool teacher discount. I now do the majority of my shopping at JoAnne's.

Yeah, first she said they didn't offer a teacher discount. I informed her the sign on their front door said otherwise. Then, she said you had to have a teacher ID, and I asked "what about homeschoolers?" and got a "nope, sorry." Most other places around here (Jo-ann's, the bookstores, Tandy leather, etc.) if they insist on documented proof are content to see a copy of a homeschooling affidavit. That wasn't presented as an option, nor did they care that I had a discount card for Jo-Ann's, which I mentioned. So, I walked out. At that point I was too annoyed to wait around and argue with a manager.

I might go back next week with my affidavit and try insisting on talking to a manager. They had these neat wooden puzzles you can paint and then put together...

Well I don't either, as long as it is easily obtainable. Such as a homeschooling intent letter. Regular photo ID I don't have a problme with either. But to require some sort of homeschooling ID, which is the way I took your post to sound, like a PS teacher.... well that's just a bit much IMO.

Oh I see what you mean. Most people use their HSLDA cards (if they have one) or make one for their school or as I do, use the copy of the form we have to turn into the Department of Ed. As others have noted above, it is super easy to make yourself a card for your school and have it laminated though. :D

Yeah, first she said they didn't offer a teacher discount. I informed her the sign on their front door said otherwise. Then, she said you had to have a teacher ID, and I asked "what about homeschoolers?" and got a "nope, sorry." Most other places around here (Jo-ann's, the bookstores, Tandy leather, etc.) if they insist on documented proof are content to see a copy of a homeschooling affidavit. That wasn't presented as an option, nor did they care that I had a discount card for Jo-Ann's, which I mentioned. So, I walked out. At that point I was too annoyed to wait around and argue with a manager.

I might go back next week with my affidavit and try insisting on talking to a manager. They had these neat wooden puzzles you can paint and then put together...

Sounds like you got a grumpy cashier. She wanted to deny the teacher discount in the first place, even before knowing you homeschool.

Sounds like you got a grumpy cashier. She wanted to deny the teacher discount in the first place, even before knowing you homeschool.

I hate it when I get a nasty cashier who acts like she owns the store and that the teacher's discount is coming right out of her paycheck. :glare:

Cat