Menu

Waldorf style crafts?

Hunter

Personally, I would decide what you want to start with:

watercolors

Then find a copy of Watercolors with Children by Brunhilda Muller

block crayons & drawing

Then I would buy the book and DVD set at A Little Garden Flower.

Form Drawing

Lots of free stuff on the interenet or the DVD at A Little Garden Flower same link as above.

Knitting

Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick

A First book of Knitting for Children and A second book by Bonne Gosse

Felting

Lots of great books out there on felting and needle felting. But for pure Waldorf---Magic Wool by Dagmar Schmidt

Anything by Freya Jaffke is also good in a lot of these categories.

Window Stars

Magical Window Stars by Frederique Gueret

I hope this helps. You can also google blogs for these and come up with a lot of great ideas.:001_smile:

• Like 1

Another great book for Waldorf style crafts is "All Year Round"...It has plans for a lot of crafts and explains the different festivals and why the craft would be done...

http://www.amazon.com/All-Year-Round-Lifeways-Druitt/dp/1869890477/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295323621&sr=8-1

I love this book...

Edited by TheAutumnOak
Trying to fix link

I've got a little growing collection of Waldorf craft books. Hands down my favorite is Crafts Through the Year, http://www.amazon.com/Crafts-through-Year-Petra-Berger/dp/0863153224.

The reason I like this one is that there are many color photos (I find that more inspiring), easy to follow directions (though not always thorough ;)), great illustrations, crafts are organized by season (which I guess is typical for these books), and mostly because it covers a lot of techniques and materials (wool, straw, paper, wax, seeds, leaves, eggs, yarn...).

Here are the titles of 4 other books we use. These are things that aren't covered in Crafts Through the Year, and are so worth the time and effort to learn:

Painting Through the Year

Magic Wool

The Nature Corner

Feltcraft

These books also have great color photos.

I just started needle felting. The way I got into it was by buying a Woolpets kit locally. This was nice because it contained everything I needed to do a project and I could see if I enjoyed it without spending a lot of money. Then I got the Woolpets book for Christmas which has excellent instructions and illustrations for many needle felting projects.

I just started needle felting. The way I got into it was by buying a Woolpets kit locally. This was nice because it contained everything I needed to do a project and I could see if I enjoyed it without spending a lot of money. Then I got the Woolpets book for Christmas which has excellent instructions and illustrations for many needle felting projects.

:iagree:

We love these! I actually have the penguin sitting here next to me. One of our cats ate one eye and a wing. :001_huh:

Just make sure you help them with the big ol needle if they're little. Those things are serious!

Those are soooo cute!

Thank you everyone! :-) I'm going to have to fill out some interlibrary loan forms. None of these books have samples at Amazon and they are not cheap books. They all look really good though.

A few months ago I was introduced to the idea of knitting meditation and on my own I figured out I needed to carefully pick out my needles to be as natural and nourishing feeling and looking as posssible.

In my post trauma recovery I am often introduced to a watered down and out of context idea, based on a huge movement, without being told what it is. Then months or years later I find out there is a whole movement and a vast collection of resources available to learn how to do this activity correctly.

Sigh! This is another one where a psychology author chose not to credit her sources and pretend she had come up with it all on her own. I see watered down, out of context Waldorf all through the knitting meditation idea, now that I know what Waldorf crafts are.

The world would be a better place if more adults spent some time doing Waldorf crafts!

I interlibrary loaned most of the books I listed at one time or another over the last 5 years. There are really some wonderful blogs out there and if you google any combination of the crafts and the words "Waldorf blog" you should get some nice ideas to tide you over until your books come in.

Oh, and you can use tissue paper instead of kite paper in the window stars. :001_smile:

Thanks for the best keyword google terms!

There is some stuff on youtube too.

I love it when I have some little scraps of ideas and find an established large body of knowledge to fill in all the gaps, and to take me forward into places I didn't even dream of :-)