Menu

How Similar are the Sample EXPLORE Questions to the Real Test?

I'm curious to hear if the results meet your expectations. My 8yo took the SCAT for johns Hopkins because there is no place to take the Explore near us. I can't say the results were particularly meaningful.

My DD took the SCAT last year to qualify for CTY and I thought the test itself was relatively useless. The math was odd and did not correlate at all with her results a few months later on an out-of-level CogAT. The verbal was easily prepped, which I had done inadvertently as my DD absolutely loves analogy workbooks and does them for "fun".

We have to drive to a neighboring state to take the EXPLORE (we're combining it with a weekend at Lake Tahoe). I really hope that we get some useful information out of it. We can't afford to go the route of full testing at the GDC in Denver.

I'm curious to hear if the results meet your expectations. My 8yo took the SCAT for johns Hopkins because there is no place to take the Explore near us. I can't say the results were particularly meaningful.

My son took the SCAT last year and that test was just a game IMHO. He did great on it, but it was not at all informational. We have done oral open ended Peabody achievement testing ($55 in our house!), and that was extremely worthwhile. Doesn't ceiling until 12th grade level.

I actually don't expect the EXPLORE to be as informative as the Peabody or something like the WIAT. First and foremost it tests whether you can transfer the knowlege in your brain to a bunch of little circles on a page! ;) But if that format works for your child, it can maybe give a little perspective on where your child stands. I have enough data, that I kind of feel I know where my child should end up. And if he doesn't, we won't sweat it and we'll try again next year. I may do oral achievement again this spring for him - possibly the WIAT (reaching the ceiling zone of the Peabody).

For a college bound kid, I think it's great ongoing practice if nothing else. Feeling lucky we will only be driving 20 minutes to take the EXPLORE!

Okay, that's what I figured. The whole point of having my DD take the EXPLORE is so that we can get an accurate picture of where she's working without running into "ceiling" issues.

Your daughter already took the test so what did she think? My son said the math was way more difficult than the sample test but thought the other sections were the same.

Your daughter already took the test so what did she think? My son said the math was way more difficult than the sample test but thought the other sections were the same.

My son said some parts were hard, some parts were easy, can we eat lunch now? :lol: He said math was the hardest too. It's about what he said last year after the SCAT and he did great. We'll see! Now for the LONG wait. I really have no expectations. I'm glad I have other good data on this kid and nothing is really riding on his score. I can see something like this might be really helpful to advocate for a child attending school.

She thought the reading and the English sections were easy, the science was do-able but she ran out of time & had to guess at the end, and the math was hard.