Menu

Inflight food on airplanes included with ticket cost? And other travel questions

Dh is going on a missions trip to Nairobi, Kenya. I was just on the Delta website and I am getting the impression that meals inflight are no longer included in the ticket price? Can that be?? Or would the menu I was viewing be if you wanted anything additional?

Hoping that I'm wrong and he will have meals that he does not need to pay additionally for, are their snacks that you would recommend? I am planning on sending him with a stash of power bars, just in case the food in Kenya doesn't sit well with him, but what else should I be thinking of? I read somewhere that hard-boiled eggs travel well as long as they keep cool...how would I ensure they keep cool, knowing he doesn't have much space in his carry-on luggage? And would I send them already peeled, or still in the shell?

He hasn't flown in almost 10 years and it's been even longer for me. Besides the TSA, what does he need to know?

I would email them and ask. We flew British Airways this summer and we were given meals at semi-normal meal times (the flight was 9:45, and we got 2 meals). We were also told to feel free to go up to the galley to get snacks and drinks from the Flight Attendants at other times.

If Delta is like Continental, the longer flights (with free in-flight meals) do not even have available the extra, for a fee menu items. Personally, I would *LOVE* if they would offer both -- many times I'd opt to buy the extra meal (especially breakfast) vs. eat the junk they give out for free. But, I digress....

*for the long flights, your hubby will have free meals. These may or may not all be listed (the best way to find out is to look at the flight he is taking, even if you haven't bought the tickets yet -- do a flight search, pull up the flight you think he'll be on; somewhere in the listing when you actually click on the flight number or look at the listing, it should show "dinner served" or whatever. If it lists something there, that meal is included in the price of the ticket and is not extra fee.)

*however, know that when I look at the Brazil/US flight, it mentions dinner but no longer mentions the "snack" they give in the morning, as they stopped calling it 'breakfast" (it's not); apparently they don't list in-flight snacks. SO -- if you pull up the flight, and it's an overnight, it might list dinner but not breakfast. That may or may not mean he won't get anything at all in the morning; likely he'll get some small something (for the BR/US flight, it's a few chunks of under-ripe melon and a half-cooked croissant).

Some things you can pack for him for food on the plane:

*packets of instant breakfast powder; he can then get milk on the flight, mix it in, and have a decent start to the morning

*power bars, etc.

*dried fruits/nuts/trail mix (sealed in the bag since it's an international flight, and depending on how chancy he wants to be with customs, he'll need to toss it before he hits customs. Several small, single-serve type pouches of this would therefore be better for him; the sealed ones he can take over the border, no problem)

*beef jerky (again, still sealed)

For while in Kenya, I'd send a little more of the same, but maybe sub powdered gatorade for the powdered instant breakfast; bottled water is likely more readily available to him there than fresh milk; most likely the milk there will be the UHT (Ultra Heat Treated/Ultra High Temperature Pastuerization) milk, shelf-stable stuff. He may or may not like the taste of it, and it may or may not be served to him cold.

I would not send hard boiled eggs. It's likely that TSA would make him toss them, even though they are a solid. He won't be able to take them over the border, so any he hasn't eaten before landing will have to be tossed anyway. And, peeling/disposing of shells would be a pain on the airplane. Maybe if you send in plastic baggies and he can put the peeling back in the baggie, but again, not sure if TSA would let it go through or not.

On that note, peanut butter (and the like) is considered a "paste" and therefore a "liquid" and not permissible. So, while he might want to pack some for a quick snack while in Kenya (a pb sandwich would be good; he can either package/carry over crackers, or trust that he'll find bread, which I think would not be a problem), he can't take any on the plane. I know you didn't mention PB, just thought I"d throw that out there as an option.

As far as TSA -- meds MUST be packaged apart from the other liquids (if they're liquid meds) and declared; gel shoe inserts are NOT allowed; toothpaste has to be in travel size tubes to carry on, a half-used tube is not allowed; gel deodarants = liquid and must be packed according to those guidelines; most of the TSA stuff should be easy to find on the airline website.

Also -- pack anything of value in the carry on. We know more than one person who's had a bag opened/searched and an item stolen; TSA's response was "you can't prove you had that in your bag, therefore we are not responsible." (the bag in question did have the "tsa opened this bag to conduct a search..." note inside; TSA still claimed no responsibility and did not replace the item, for either of these people).

Best of luck to him! It is really not as daunting as it seems when you first read over it on-line.

I fly a lot, and I fly Delta almost exclusively, but I don't fly internationally so can't say definitively. That said, I thought that if the flight was over a certain number of hours food was still included, and your own research confirmed that.

The snacks for purchase, though, are really good (and I don't just mean good for "airplane food.") I've had several of the sandwiches they offer and have never once been disappointed. The use high quality (Boar's Head) meats and cheeses and I've really enjoyed them.

I also regularly purchase the fruit and cheese plate, and sometimes the snack box called "Flight Delights" which has hummus and crackers, dried fruit, nuts, some cookies and something else. Yum.

I fly a lot, and I fly Delta almost exclusively, but I don't fly internationally so can't say definitively. That said, I thought that if the flight was over a certain number of hours food was still included, and your own research confirmed that.

The snacks for purchase, though, are really good (and I don't just mean good for "airplane food.") I've had several of the sandwiches they offer and have never once been disappointed. The use high quality (Boar's Head) meats and cheeses and I've really enjoyed them.

I also regularly purchase the fruit and cheese plate, and sometimes the snack box called "Flight Delights" which has hummus and crackers, dried fruit, nuts, some cookies and something else. Yum.

I agree with this *except* if you are flying at night they often do not offer meals, only snacks (not the large snack boxes) for purchase.

where will he be in Kenya. The bigger cities have quite a bit of western food type options. It has been quite a few years since I was there, and it was a short visit. We live in Uganda, but even then they had packaged juice and cereals that were western or at least western feel to them.

I agree with this *except* if you are flying at night they often do not offer meals, only snacks (not the large snack boxes) for purchase.

AND on most flights that include a meal in the purchase price (those flights over 6 hours), the "for purchase" foods are NOT normally available to purchase at all.