Menu

Confused about testing?!?

Help me understand, please!

I have to test DD as part of our mandatory reporting. Here are my options:

1. Terra Nova, The Second Edition CAT(also referred to as CAT/6), Forms C and D (2000 norms) CTB McGraw Hill

Reading: K.0-12.9 Language: K.0-12.9

Science: K.0-12.9 Social Studies: K.0-12.9

Mathematics Composite: K.0-12.9

2. Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS); Forms A & B (2000 norms), The Riverside Publishing Company

Reading: K.8- 9.9 Language: K. 1-9.9

Science: 1.7- 9.9 Social Studies: 1.7-9.9

Mathematics Composite: K.1-9.9

3. Iowa Tests of Education Development (ITED); Forms A & B (2000 norms), The Riverside Publishing Company

Written Expression: 9.0-12.9 Quantitative Thinking: 9.0-12.9

Social Studies: 9.0-12.9 Natural Science: 9.0-12.9

Literary Materials: 9.0-12.9 Vocabulary: 9.0-12.9

Sources of Information: 9.0-12.9

4. Metropolitan Achievement Test (MAT); 8th Edition (2000 norms), Harcourt Educational Measurement

Reading: K.0-12.9 Language: K.0-12.9

Science: 1.5-12.9 Social Studies: 1.5-12.9

Mathematics Composite: K.0-12.9

5. Stanford Achievement Test; 10th Edition (2002 norms), Harcourt Brace Educational Measurement

Reading: K.0-12.9 (Abbrev: 1.5-12.9) Language: 1.5-12.9

Science: 3.5-12.9 Social Studies: 3.5-12.9

Mathematics Composite: 1.5-9.9

The only ones I'm familiar with are the ITBS and the ITED as that what I've always taken growing up, and what DD took when in PS. I didn't have to worry about testing last year, because I pulled her out of PS in March and she had already taken ITBS.

So, which test is the easiest/cheapest to administer? DD is a good tester, so I'm not overly concerned about her performance. Do I do it at home? I found this on the Iowa Dept of Ed.'s website - what does it mean?:

"Generally, a parent, guardian, or legal or actual custodian may not administer the test to his or her own children. However, rule 31.5(2) "c" provides an exception as follows: If the parent, guardian, or legal or actual custodian purchases an approved assessment instrument from an accredited school such as Bob Jones University, and if the publisher of the test allows parent, guardian, or legal or actual custodian administration, it is ok. "

Does it matter when she takes the test?? If I administer it, how/where do I get it??

Thank you for helping out a lost soul! :)

I was just looking at that list. My mom would qualify in more ways than one. She has a bachelor's and was a full time teacher (many years ago, but...). So, I think I may have her apply and go that route.

So, when do I give it to her? In the PS, they usually take it in the fall, so I'm thinking sooner rather than later??

I was just looking at that list. My mom would qualify in more ways than one. She has a bachelor's and was a full time teacher (many years ago, but...). So, I think I may have her apply and go that route.

So, when do I give it to her? In the PS, they usually take it in the fall, so I'm thinking sooner rather than later??

It doesn't really matter. Schools here usually test in Feb. or March. It does take some time to get the tests. You could go ahead and get it all rolling. First step is to get your mom approved. THen, she can order the tests.

Glad you posted this, because I need to order for ds...Procrastination Queen here.