Menu

How often do you do science?

Several of our hsers use an outside class for science and it meets 3 hours once every 2 weeks. Many of them do not do science other than that.

So, do I need a daily science or would once or twice a week be enough?

If only 1 or 2 days per week, what science is easy to implement yet fun and workable for a non-sciencey mom?

Middle school level.

Thanks!,

Dawn

Sue,

Probably more Christian. We are more old earth, but it really doesn't matter to me if they present a literal 7 days or not, we just discuss.

My son actually would like to do WP http://www.winterpromise.com/sizzle_solve_survive.html

but I have found WP materials to leave me frustrated and wondered if there is any other science program out there that would cover living green/sustainable living.

I also thought perhaps this would be better left for an older age and we could do something else for now.

So, you see I have no idea what I want!

Dawn

We do a formal science class twice weekly. I also a have a book called "Things to do Before You Die." There are different neat experiments and things you can do in there. These are just fun little things that we do that are still lots of fun, and educational! I even trick him into using his TV rations for programming on any of the Discovery Channels, though I'm sure some would say this isn't a great way to learn.

I'm sort of a science person myself, so maybe it comes a little easier, but I would absolutely say that twice a week would be a minimum.

We try to do science two days a week for 90 minutes each day. That doesn't always happen with our other outside activities, so I also have my son using a science workbook of some sort most every day (it only takes about 10 minutes at most, usually) to help cement concepts and keep them fresh in his mind.

Some online programs that you might look into:

http://eequalsmcq.com/homeschoolers.htm - free biology and a charge for his other programs. Elementary in nature, but includes worksheets, experiments (teacher's manual), tests, etc.

http://msnucleus.org/membership/index.html - both elementary and secondary (middle school) offerings on many topics. Free, online (or print off). Teacher's keys available, too. Lots of labs and tests, etc. They do offer kits now that you can buy to go along with the programming, but you don't have to do that....

we do elemental science twice a week for abut an hour each time. We do a bit of outside reading too: biographies, general science books, science encyclopedias, and they watch MythBusters once a week. We also have some science kits that they play with, along with snap circuits.

Five days a week - hands on, oh - about once a week to once every other week (depending on the unit).

Each day looks very different, though. We are doing regular science, but we also do historical science research through Trisms. So - about twoce a week it is DS researching and writing a few paragraphs - which I know is much easier than most science curriculums :)

In 5th grade the kids did science about 3-4 days a week, <1 hour per day.

In 6th grade ds did science about 4 days a week, <1 hour per day.

In 7th grade he now does science 4 days a week, but takes just at or over an hour each day.

In 8th grade dd did science 5 days a week, and could usually finish in about an hour.

We are very science-oriented around here and the vast majority of our early science education was very Charlotte Mason-ish and fell outside of their normal science work listed above--field trips, nature walks, growing things, gathering/collecting things, spontaneous experiments, just-for-fun experiments from various books, etc. We don't really do a whole lot of textbook work for science until about 8th grade, and then we get really serious (5 days a week, an hour a day, longer if needed, plus extra labs, field trips, special projects).