Menu

Adventures with Atoms and Molecules ... what books/supplies to go with it?

Aludlam

I'm about to order Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. Are there any supplemental books or supplies that you suggest? I already have the Usborne First Science Encyclopedia, but I think I'll also add the Usborne Science Encyclopedia. I thought perhaps some beakers or graduated cylinders?? ... safety glasses?? Are there any unusual supplies that you can think of that we might not have lying around already? We've got some of the Let's Read and Find Out books, so I'll add those.

Dd9 will primarily be doing this alone. We will gather together to be her audience on experiment day. We will continue on with biology studies together, but this will be her thing.

All advice is welcome, as always. :001_smile:

We are halfway through book 1. We have the Usborne Science Encyclopedia. That is all we have needed. Each week I just look at the next week's experiment to make sure we have the supplies. So far they are all easy supplies, but sometimes I have to search for a large flat rubber band or make sure have enough baking soda and vinegar.

We haven't used any other books. I have a video checked out from the library right now on atoms and molecules. But doing it the WTM way: experiment, lab sheet, definitions, and diagrams has taught us a lot. Occasionally I have googled for more facts on a subject, but that is easy enough. And dd likes some of the online stuff from the IL encyclopedia.

I love this site. We got this. Totally not necessary, but fun. When it calls for a glass in the kitchen, we use a beaker. My son loves it. The one thing I would say is from the first experiment. I could not find regular food color drops, they all seem to be gels now. The gel does not work as well, and I was getting frustrated that our first experiment was going pear shaped. My dh had to rescue us (he is a research chemist) and he mixed the gel in water and then we put a drop into the water. It worked much better.

Book wise, we just have the text and the science encyclopedia. We have been having a great time with Chemistry this year.

Most of the experiments in these books take household, especially kitchen, supplies. You will need small bottles of coke, balloons, baking soda, lemon juice and lots of things like that. I can't recall if there's a list already made up in the book or not, but you can run through the experiment supply lists quickly and make your own shopping list and purchase ahead so you will have all items on hand. I did that at the beginning of the year and just put everything in a big box....