Menu

Hubby melted my oven control board....

Never, when setting the oven to self-clean, let someone put a metal pot of water on the stove next to the vent at the back of the stove where a LOT of heat from the uber-hot self-cleaning oven needs to come out. You will NOT succeed in "making humidity like on a radiator" but you will MELT the oven control panel since you leaned the metal pot against it (to brace it over the vent and heat your water). Then when you wife goes to make dinner she will not notice the melted control panel at first as she blithely pokes the "on" button for the oven (which still works.) But when the pork chops are done and the oven won't turn off she will notice that, hey, the plastic cover to the electronic controls is MELTED and the electronic OFF button will not function.

Now my oven sits, unplugged, and I can not use it . Would it still be safe to plug it in and use the stove top? It is a gas unit.

It is only four years old. Hubby has gone on-line and ordered a replacement control panel for $90. I suspect that after it comes and he can NOT fix the thing Sears will have to come out.

Oh - by the way, the water did NOT evaporate and add to the household humidity.

So much for baking bread, etc. this week.

Never, when setting the oven to self-clean, let someone put a metal pot of water on the stove next to the vent at the back of the stove where a LOT of heat from the uber-hot self-cleaning oven needs to come out. You will NOT succeed in "making humidity like on a radiator" but you will MELT the oven control panel since you leaned the metal pot against it (to brace it over the vent and heat your water). Then when you wife goes to make dinner she will not notice the melted control panel at first as she blithely pokes the "on" button for the oven (which still works.) But when the pork chops are done and the oven won't turn off she will notice that, hey, the plastic cover to the electronic controls is MELTED and the electronic OFF button will not function.

Now my oven sits, unplugged, and I can not use it . Would it still be safe to plug it in and use the stove top? It is a gas unit.

It is only four years old. Hubby has gone on-line and ordered a replacement control panel for $90. I suspect that after it comes and he can NOT fix the thing Sears will have to come out.

Oh - by the way, the water did NOT evaporate and add to the household humidity.

So much for baking bread, etc. this week.

:grouphug: I would be having a party if that happened to me, as I hate my stove and would be out shopping for a replacement at this very moment, if I were in your shoes.

:grouphug: I would be having a party if that happened to me, as I hate my stove and would be out shopping for a replacement at this very moment, if I were in your shoes.

This is the appliance we ran out to buy when the old one that came with the house died five days before Christmas in 2006 - so it is too new to replace. It is ugly, though - all Sears had for immediate installation before Christmas was a black =oven with a WHITE stove top. Yup - two-tone.

And all the units now come with the touch screen electronic controls, which I dislike, being an old fart fond of knobs and such manual controls. Which probably do not melt :glare: