Menu

?? re: tree nut allergies....people with experience

We have a new Dr this year and while she did the RAST tests her response after testing was less than stellar. I have called to get more information and I got an asthma action plan back. not the food one we need for church or the answers I asked.

SOOO

*my son is allergic to SOME tree nuts but not others. Does this mean he could eat the non allergic nuts without future reactions? Or do you just avoid all tree nuts to be safe? Most of his levels are now low. His peanut is still moderate but down from last year. He's "negative" to almond, hazelnut, pecan, cashew....but do I dare switch to almond butter from soy butter? When we did sunflower butter he suddenly had a high allergy to it. So confused on what to avoid now that it's some allergic and some not.

*my son is allergic to some more rare allergens but one is now 'borderline'. would you keep avoiding this? It was his highest allergy last year but now borderline...

*my son's sesame allergy has increased three fold. We have avoided this for a year. Any idea why it's getting worse? In fact it's his highest level this year but wasn't a true allergy last year!

We basically need to find another Dr to talk to now since this one isn't helpful at all. She's never heard of a food allergy form for the schools?!?!?!? I need one for church, not school obviously, but sheesh!

just hoping you can share your experience with what you do avoid....everything or only the things that test truly positive?

IMHO I would avoid all tree nuts and peanuts as well as the other "borderline" since there is risk of cross contamination and some are still truly allergic even though their tests are borderline or even negative.

Are you seeing an allergist?

This site is very helpful:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

My ds is allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts as well as mango and shrimp. We avoid all peanuts and tree nuts and all shellfish as well as mango. We always check all ingredients. I have even run into shredded cheese and frozen peas made in a facility with peanuts:001_huh: We only allow homemade food from us and we rarely eat out. We do not eat in any asian food restaurants. We always bring safe snacks/food for him.

We also always have the dual pack epi pens and melt-a-way benadryl on our ds's person in fanny pack or in the designated spot at home. We are training him to take his medicine now for the past year or so.

As for soy butter, I would be a little leery since some recommend staying away from soy if one if allergic to peanuts. We do eat products that have soybean oil and other some amounts of soy but we don't eat products mostly made up of soy.

:grouphug:

I would see an allergist and even try to see an allergist associated with a renowned facility.

Edited by priscilla

I agree you need to see an allergist - and one who is very good with children and food allergies.

My son had an anaphylactic reaction to cashews. According to Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies, cashews and pistachios cross react. According to our allergist due to the way foods are labeled, we must avoid ALL tree nuts. He also said that some studies are showing tree nut allergies having reactions with sesame, so we're to avoid sesame as well.

The unfortunate part about food allergies is that they do change over time and new allergies may develop.

I'd avoid all tree nuts. And be sure to carry the Epi pen.

If you take a look at a package of treenuts, you will see a treenut warning... for other treenuts. You will have to avoid all of them. I've heard that you can buy them and shell them yourself, but that's a pain and you still run the risk of accidentaly contaminating the nut with any particles on the shell.

I've been told that if you outgrow an allergy, to eat it regularly... otherwise, the allergy is more likely to come back. My son outgrew a peanut allergy, and has to have it every week.

If you think your child has outgrown something, get a challenge test done... at the allergist's office. Don't do it at home.

As far as the sesame allergy rising, he may have had traces since the last test... this can cause a rise. Otherwise, maybe he is just becoming more sensitive. Most of the time, I have been told, it's from accidental exposure (traces).

Definitely find a doctor who can explain all of this stuff to you!

Always carry an Epi-pen.

I have 3 with nut allergies and they vary. DS was NOT allergic to cashews but now is. On the other hand his peanut allergy has diminished to the point where skin testing will not pick it up but with every exposure it will pick up speed again they said. I would really just avoid all nuts and keep them out of the house.

My son had an anaphylactic reaction to cashews. According to Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies, cashews and pistachios cross react. According to our allergist due to the way foods are labeled, we must avoid ALL tree nuts. He also said that some studies are showing tree nut allergies having reactions with sesame, so we're to avoid sesame as well.

The unfortunate part about food allergies is that they do change over time and new allergies may develop.

I'd avoid all tree nuts. And be sure to carry the Epi pen.

I agree with all of this. My daughter had a severe reaction to pistachios at age 4 and we have been carrying an epi pen since then. She has had incidents with other tree nuts:

--a neighbor gave us some cinnamon rolls that had walnut powder on the bottom, she complained of a burning in her throat when she ate a bite. She threw up, took a benadryll and was fine a few hours later.

--a friend had muffins at the pool, my daughter asked if there were any tree nuts, the girl said no. About 10 minutes later, my daughter told me that her stomach was upset and she was worried about having eaten tree nuts. I call the mother and find out that she ground up almonds in the batter. My daughter took benadryll, slept and was better later that day.

I will say that she avoids all tree nuts even though I don't think her reaction would be as life and death as others in the same scenario.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a helpful doctor and managing the allergy.

I agree with all of this. My daughter had a severe reaction to pistachios at age 4 and we have been carrying an epi pen since then. She has had incidents with other tree nuts:

--a neighbor gave us some cinnamon rolls that had walnut powder on the bottom, she complained of a burning in her throat when she ate a bite. She threw up, took a benadryll and was fine a few hours later.

--a friend had muffins at the pool, my daughter asked if there were any tree nuts, the girl said no. About 10 minutes later, my daughter told me that her stomach was upset and she was worried about having eaten tree nuts. I call the mother and find out that she ground up almonds in the batter. My daughter took benadryll, slept and was better later that day.

I will say that she avoids all tree nuts even though I don't think her reaction would be as life and death as others in the same scenario.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a helpful doctor and managing the allergy.

The problem with food allergies is that they are unpredictable. One reaction may be "minor" and others can be horrible. Also, each exposure can raise sensitivity... the next reaction could be much worse. Be very careful.

The problem with food allergies is that they are unpredictable. One reaction may be "minor" and others can be horrible. Also, each exposure can raise sensitivity... the next reaction could be much worse. Be very careful.

:iagree: Our allergist said to stay away from all tree nuts and peanuts. MY ds is allergic to cashew, pistachio, and peanuts but we still away from all tree nuts and peanuts since there really is a risk of cross contamination.

I also would very strongly recommend not eating homemade food prepared by others since they are often not aware of checking ingredients of every single thing as well as how to avoid cross contamination. I also would not eat bakery goods such as cakes, donuts, cookies as well since they usually has cross contamination issues. The only bakery good we buy for ds is Krispy Kreme donuts. Otherwise, we make it ourselves. We do buy store brought bread and cookies in the bread aisle or in the cookie aisle such as Oreo cookies.

The allergists I know (I think this is standard of care) say one tree nut allergy is an allergy to all tree nuts. The issue is cross contamination among the tree nuts. I also believe my son is much more likely to develop another tree nut allergy with exposure (he's allergic to 6 of them--anaphylactic to two) so I wouldn't feed him even a completely pure nut that he wasn't reactive to.

I don't believe the low (but positive) RASTS necessarily predict severity of reaction. In fact, my son is a 3 to the nut to which he had a biphasic anaphylactic reaction. That your kiddo developed a seed allergy with exposure (so did mine with sunflower butter) would make me even more wary of exposing to nuts of any sort. The gold standard for "iffy" results is an in office food challenge.

How bad was the reaction to the now borderline food? If it wasn't anaphylactic maybe a food challenge would be appropriate if you suspect he outgrew. I wouldn't do it with a nut or seed though given what you've shared!

Ack. Scary on sesame. My son is sesame allergic (and anaphylactic). It's hard to avoid so I'm sorry that one was more positive. It's got a high incidence of anaphylaxis. Is he getting any trace sesame? It's in all commercial bread (save Berlin Natural Bakery Spelt), all commercial crackers, many baked goods (though with tree nuts that's an issue anyway), and on. My son can't eat out because of sesame cross. In short, sesame is the hardest thing for us to avoid--harder than tree nuts--and isn't labeled. You may know all that but I didn't. If you weren't told he may be consuming sesame day to day. Sesame crosses with (shares a protein with) pistachio and cashew (and I think mango). I doubt the cross is your issue given the tree nut allergies but that's another possibility and there is the mango link.

I'm sorry this doctor is bad. You can likely find allergy action plans online you could use for church.

Sesame crosses with (shares a protein with) pistachio and cashew (and I think mango). I doubt the cross is your issue given the tree nut allergies but that's another possibility and there is the mango link.

I've read about the mango link. I asked our allergist and he said we didn't need to avoid mangoes though. I don't know if the issue would be with the fruit or with the pit. (At least it's an easy one to avoid in addition!)

Is he getting any trace sesame? It's in all commercial bread (save Berlin Natural Bakery Spelt), all commercial crackers, many baked goods (though with tree nuts that's an issue anyway), and on.

um, no I had never heard that before!?!?!?!? Ok, will have to make some changes here. I am gluten free so now I just need to find some things we can all eat and cut out his commercial bread/crackers!

thank you!!!!

...Is he getting any trace sesame? It's in all commercial bread (save Berlin Natural Bakery Spelt), all commercial crackers, many baked goods (though with tree nuts that's an issue anyway), and on...

Is this labelled? I've never seen it labelled on Sarah Lee Bread. It's not in club, graham crackers, or goldfish crackers (last I checked, anyway) It's not in the igredient statement of any of these products. My son used to be allergic to that, as well, so I used to check for it. Are you saying it's in the same factory?

Pediatric allergist at a *children's*hospital*. The difference from a "standard" allergist to the pediatric allergist at the children's hospital was UNBELIEVABLE.

As to tree nuts, we avoid them *all*.

The numbers changing on a RAST test aren't unusual and they don't always "mean" something. Especially if your doctor sent the results through different labs. The trends should remain the same, but don't spend a lot of time overthinking changes over a single year. If you get in to see a good allergist, they'll repeat all of the tests for themselves anyway (and should give you far better information at interpreting them).

OP, gluten free and tree nuts/sesame are particularly difficult. Most products are made on shared equipment with one or the other. A lot of gluten free (but not all) will have a tree nut may contain warning but none of them that we had label sesame may contains. If I recall, though, tree nut was more of an issue than sesame (rice crackers like all crackers, rice cakes were sesame if I recall; a lot was tree nut. My son was dx'd with both together so I was calling for both at the time). I called companies and cried and cried. Anyway, I made a list when my son was first diagnosed of sesame/tree nut safe gluten free products. I can hunt it if you would like.

Is this labelled? I've never seen it labelled on Sarah Lee Bread. It's not in club, graham crackers, or goldfish crackers (last I checked, anyway) It's not in the igredient statement of any of these products. My son used to be allergic to that, as well, so I used to check for it. Are you saying it's in the same factory?

I'm saying shared equipment lines with sesame containing products with or without cleaning between products. It's often without cleaning because sesame isn't considered an allergen in the US unfortunately--and even with cleaning sesame is really difficult to clean from equipment because of it's nature. I don't worry about shared factory for my son but I do avoid (per his allergist) shared equipment lines. I actually think sesame is much harder than tree nuts because most companies are careful with tree nuts and/or label--there is awareness of the allergy potential so they track what shares equipment, label, etc. Sesame is actually a major issue on spice lines. McCormick is the only spice company who really cleans for sesame in the US. Even companies who say they are allergy safe, when I called, told me to avoid their products with a sesame allergy. I had to "rehome" a lot of expensive spices.

It's not labeled because sesame isn't required to be labeled in the US. It is labeled by law in Canada and Europe so some companies that operate both will be able to tell you if you call. Most companies I've called were able to tell me if the product shared lines with sesame actually but some had to research and contact me later which isn't the case when you call re: nuts. But yes, no cross contamination safe commercial crackers or breads except the Berlin Bakery which doesn't process sesame. I wish it weren't true. In the case of sesame (like peanut) it doesn't seem to take much to provoke reaction in those allergic and it is very hard to clean from equipment (tiny oily seeds).

Edited by sbgrace

In case you need it here was my gluten and tree nut/sesame cross contamination (share equipment/line only--I didn't concern myself with shared facility). I did not call about peanut. That said, I would imagine most of these to all are peanut safe as well but do call to make sure they are safe for your allergy set. Further, I made the calls to these companies when my son as first diagnosed and that was 1.5 years ago. Things change of course. But it would give a start in contacting companies. I have some things on here that are gluten containing. I'll try to note that. I did that because some of us can have gluten but we don't bring his anaphylaxis into the house (tree nuts and sesame). There are products that are not on this list I'm sure. In some cases I called every producer of a product though and in those cases I'll note that.

Buckwheat (whole, Kasha, etc.) Birkett Mills Pocono line (other lines from the company are likely safe too but I only asked about the Pocono line)

rice (whole, not their rice products though their flour is safe if you can find it)--lundberg. I think their other rice products were an issue with sesame rather than nuts but I can't remember for sure. I didn't call multiple rice companies as this is the brand I had and it's safe.

rice flour--lundberg though I can't find it and Ms. Robens (pricey but will be safe for you). Someone told me that Authentic Foods superfine brown rice flour is tree nut safe. I've not called the company to confirm or to check sesame because we don't do much baking anymore.

Other baking flours and products--Ms. Robens for sorghum, starches, etc. Expensive but the only safe ones I could find.

Someone on a recent thread said King Arthur Gluten Free flours are safe but I've not called on it to check. Someone told me that Twin Valley Mills Sorghum is tree nut safe and all they produce so should be sesame safe too. I didn't call on that as we don't need it.

coconut oil and coconut baking products --tropical traditions coconut oil and some of their other coconut products are safe. This is the only tree nut safe coconut oil--I called every single manufacturer. They do make a peanut product but when I called it was made in another facility. You'll want to make sure this is still true if you need coconut products or oils.

millet--I couldn't find a reasonable source for Millet. Montana Mills was safe with nuts but may have had gluten contamination and when it was packaged down by, say Azure Standard, it is packaged with tree nut products anyway. If you got 25 pounds it would be safe but I'm not sure it's gluten safe because I wasn't interested at that point. Azure Standard Millet Flour I have listed as safe but I didn't question much about it so it may not be gluten safe either.

teff--all products safe--The Teff Co.

ghee--purity farms, butters I've called on from various places, yogurts, etc. are safe of course so this is sort of a moot point!

I think I found some gluten and nut safe oats but I forgot to write down the company as we decided against it. I wouldn't do oats with a new celiac dx. anyway.

Rice Pasta Tinkyada is safe. (and really good!)

Rice Syrup--lundberg

Spices only McCormick is safe but it was sesame that knocked out most companies if I remember correctly, not tree nuts.

olive oil--Bionaturae. Their Balsamic Vinegar is safe too but their other products are not.

Cherrybrook Kitchen mixes and products are (were when I checked) safe. I used this for his brithday cake last year because I was so overwhelmed with losing all my flours and stuff.

Enjoy Life foods are safe. Their Perky's rice cereal is the only gluten free cereal I found that was tree nut and sesame cross contamination safe. I think tree nuts was the issue on the lines though.

There are other specialty allergy free lines like these which are nut and gluten safe but we don't use that type of food stuff regularly and I didn't keep track. I found some cookies for a special treat once, some vacation prepackaged foods that traveled well (pricey but he liked them and they were safe), and also chocolate for Christmas for example. I know now there are commercial cereals that are gluten free (chex mix maybe or similar major companies). We don't do straight corn so I've not checked any of them. Similarly, I see a lot of mixes from commercial companies that are gluten free now and I've not called to check on tree nut and sesame with them. Occasionally my mom has mentioned something (a sausage or mix or etc.) and I've called and it's been safe. But I've not tracked those as we don't regularly eat them.