Menu

BBC article: mothers lie to each other

My house gets cleaned when company is coming over. By that I mean the living room and dining room are tidied and vacuumed and all the bedroom doors are shut.

Not only do my kids have to make their own breakfasts and lunches, but I also make them cook dinner one night each week (except the youngest).

It's not unusual for my kids to still be awake at midnight, although hopefully they are in their beds.

I really wish my little guys were old enough to get their own food. Unfortunately, they can not be trusted near anything wet, sticky or that makes crumbs. DS lives on peanut butter - peanut butter on waffles for breakfast, on bread for lunch (do I get points because both are whole wheat?). Pasta or pizza in some form is almost always dinner for him and little dd (we do sneak in some vegetables by pureeing in the sauce).

The house is always a wreck except on Monday afternoon since Monday is the day I put in back together after the weekend. No laundry pile since I now do it every Monday (since we are not getting any school done anyway since first we have to find the floors) but it may take until Tuesday or Wednesday for it all to get put away.

The television is always on unless we are actively doing school. They play Leapsters or on the computer every day.

We are very vigorous homeschoolers - on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Fridays are the only day they are guaranteed a bath and dd's hair getting brushed since they have gymnastics, which also means there isn't always time for school. Dd has had green marker over most of her body since yesterday and it probably won't come off until tomorrow.

We went out to the museum today with my one friend that truly understands what my son is like, since her daughter (same age within weeks of my son) is very similar. I really wish she would homeschool since we can only get together these days when her dd has no school.

My son lives on cornflakes, milk (which he is allergic to) and pasta.

I frequently don't feed my fmaily because I cant be bothered cooking 4 separate meals- so if anyone wants salad or whatever I am having, I will make it, otherwise, its DIY. (not always- if I am feeling very energetic and very generous, everyone gets fed :))

I have more in common with the families profiled on Super Nanny than I would like to admit. Although, my children (except for the 2yo who still hits on occassion) usually do not cuss, hit, or are otherwise outright disrespectful to me (in a verbal manner). This week's episode... I swear, the dad is a lot like my DH around the kids, complete with the, "we've already arrived at the boys stage, now I just need to go by a shotgun" comment when referencing his 13yo dd.

My IL's are arriving next week. I have a list of things to do, and I'm praying we can get HALF of it done before they arrive.

I do like to cook. I don't like doing socks. My daughter's room looks like a tornado hit it, and I just spent 2 hours picking up last week. You don't want to look under the couch cushions... although that's on my list (we will probably find half of our missing pencils, most of which are covered in something the children weren't supposed to be eating).

I would much rather sleep than deal with school, laundry, or keeping up with what the kids mess up, and I will be throwing out the throw rugs as soon as we move into our new house. Cleaning does not make them look any better.

I keep thinking as the children get older, life will get a bit easier -- and wondering if it's just a fairy tale.

I think we need to cross reference this thread to the Tiger Mother thread. A Yale law professor who somehow has time to sit all day with a child and force her to practice for hours on end? Um, really?

Or are we looking at another mom who can't quite tell the truth?

I've been working overnights since DD was 4 1/2. I use the TV as a babysitter. Recently I've started letting her go rove the neighborhood once the school kids are home even if I'm sleeping. They ring the door bell and wake me up if I try and make her stay put, so what the hey.

Today is my day between my 2 overnight shifts and I had to go to a WIC appt, so school didn't happen. Usually when it does on Wednesdays it's short and DD and I clash because I'm tired and grumpy. I told her we'd do some school this evening, but I think I'm going to be asleep again because I woke up after only sleeping for 4 hours. I was hungry. If I go right back to sleep now, I'll get heartburn.

I don't know if this is supposed to make people feel good that those "supermoms" are probably lying, or feel bad remembering the lies we've told, or just leave us scratching our heads because we had no idea we were supposed to lie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12192050

"Many mothers are under so much pressure to appear like perfect parents that they cover up how much television their children watch or what they cook their families, according to a survey."

Well, okay. If they want to lie go ahead, but that's just feeding into the whole idea of parenting as a competition, and like with the Tiger Mom threads, I don't buy into that. Parenting is not a competition.