Menu

What grade is your child if they were born April 2001?

We are in New Zealand, so our system goes by year level not grade level. My DD was at the cut off point for years when she started PS. So she ended up in a Year 2 class in the February after she started school. So had started am Year 0 in the April and the following February was Year 2.

Although she has been homeschooled since she was 6 1/2 we haven't really taken much notice of her level as she is doing most work at her level or above. However, now that I am following more of WTM I am wanting to have a base of what I should expect for history and science etc rather than the basics which are mostly at grade levels anyway. I am not certain this is all that clear but if you do have a child born in April 2001 can you tell me what grade they are in now. Thank you.

Oh great, thank you, that is where we decided to work for history and science. I just think otherwise she will finish school far too early at the other end. Mind you I guess it doesn't matter too much, but I don't want to extend her beyond her capabilities.

My son was born May 2001...and he is in 3rd grade.

My dd was in 2nd at the same age

He is 8 years old in 3rd, 9 in 4th etc.

He was not held back a year, but dd was, and I am glad she was...she needed the extra time. Ds is fine for his "grade."

Faithe

I'm confused, but it's probably because I'm not yet awake. (Been up for hours, but not yet awake.)

This is 2011, so kids born in 2001 are turning 10. Doesn't that mean your son is currently 9 and is 9 in 3rd grade?

My son was born May 2001...and he is in 3rd grade.

This is true for my son as well.

I'm confused, but it's probably because I'm not yet awake. (Been up for hours, but not yet awake.)

This is 2011, so kids born in 2001 are turning 10. Doesn't that mean your son is currently 9 and is 9 in 3rd grade?

Yes.

We are in New Zealand, so our system goes by year level not grade level. My DD was at the cut off point for years when she started PS. So she ended up in a Year 2 class in the February after she started school. So had started am Year 0 in the April and the following February was Year 2.

Although she has been homeschooled since she was 6 1/2 we haven't really taken much notice of her level as she is doing most work at her level or above. However, now that I am following more of WTM I am wanting to have a base of what I should expect for history and science etc rather than the basics which are mostly at grade levels anyway. I am not certain this is all that clear but if you do have a child born in April 2001 can you tell me what grade they are in now. Thank you.

As far as I know, all US schools start kindergarten with 5 year olds. It's parents who sometimes (most often for boys) wait until a child is 6, but the schools accept them at age 5 (before whatever cut-off date) in the fall.

For the spring & summer birthday kids, it's pretty easy (age - 5 = grade level). That would make a 9 yo a 4th grader.

I have one just one year older, and she will be 11 this summer and is a 5th grader.

My daughter was born July 2001. She is in 3rd grade. She missed the cut off by 2 months. I guess it depends. If I would have started her and she were in public school she would have been the youngest kid in her class. We waited. If she were in public school she would be one of the oldest kids in her class. At the time she just was not ready. She is in 3rd grade now. She will be 10 this coming July and will start 4th grade the end of August.

In Western Australia your daughter would be starting Year 5 in February 2011 and it would be the same across most States in Australia for a child born in April. She would be one of the younger children in her class.

I thought they had changed the cut off 'till mid march. My mistake.

it really could be grade 4 or 5.

My dd was born in Jan 2000 she would have been starting grade 6 this year. I don't bother with putting my children into years, we work on ability and book level not grade level.

Here in PA, your daughter would be in 4th grade, starting 5th grade as of this coming fall. Actually, here, if you have your paperwork in before July 1, you can start counting your days from July 1. Many people do this, myself included. My DD is almost exactly a year younger than the OP's daughter, and she's finishing 3rd grade this year, will be in 4th as of July 1.

Molly, you need to remember that the American school year starts in the middle of the year, whereas the Australian and New Zealand year starts at the beginning of the year. So People in America are going to be telling you a different grade than people over here.

Yes, I realise this, but I was more trying to get a guideline as to what to expect for history and science. Her other work we are working at the level she is happy at, mostly well above her year level, but as I haven't really followed WTM until this year I don't want to work too much above what she is able to do and in turn discourage her love of learning. I think I have worked out a balance now of what I am going to do with her.

Thank you all. I think one thing I have learnt from this is that it doesn't make a great deal of difference. I think as long as we keep working at a pace we are both happy with and she is enjoying learning it will be fine. I do think that if I do officially regard her as a Year 5 in NZ then she will be able to do her tertiary education with a little more maturity on her side.