Menu

I need suggestions for resources for geography co-op.

mazakaal

I'm going to start hosting a group of home educators fortnightly and I'd love to have some kind of learning focus, but still give lots of time for the kids to play and the moms to socialize. I was speaking with my mom about it and we came up with the idea of learning about a different country every time we meet. The meeting will be for 2 hours, but I'd only like to spend an hour on the geography bit. The kids range in age from infant to 14yrs and most of the moms are fairly new to home educating. Most seem to follow (or are trying to learn more about) the Steiner/Waldorf method.

I don't want to follow a curriculum, but would love some suggestions for resources with good, fun ideas to learn about various cultures. I don't want a lot of messy crafts (at least not until the weather improves and we can make the messes outside), but simple crafts would be great, along with recipes, books, etc. Anyone done this sort of thing before? I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

check out http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/ - she has lots of geography resources listed. she followed galloping the globe, but you could get some good ideas from her.

one thing you could do is have a "passport" for each participating child (I ordered a passport with country stickers for $4 from Rainbow Resource) and let the kids earn stickers for each country completed. May be each child could put together a notebook with things that you learn (pictures of crafts/recipes that they make), etc.