Menu

Facelifts... trying to express my feelings on this

I saw the Dr. Oz show on new plastic surgery, natural lifts, etc and decided to look up some before and after photos from the place in my area that advertises "Lifestyle Lifts". Somehow I just wish these weren't available and we could all age naturally. Is that selfish? I just feel like it's not an even playing field any more. Not sure if that makes sense.

Sometimes we just have to step back and ask, "what would my great grandmother say?" Mine would have laughed and said it was crazy.

There is always something each era gets hung up on, and ours is plastic surgery and the obsession with weight. There need to be more people like you who say exactly what you are saying. Women are travelling to Puerto Rico, Colombia, etc. to have procedures done. In FL, I heard an expose' about an unlicensed doctor injecting silicone into women's rear ends to make them more voluptuous. The silicone was from Home Depot!!

I saw the Dr. Oz show on new plastic surgery, natural lifts, etc and decided to look up some before and after photos from the place in my area that advertises "Lifestyle Lifts". Somehow I just wish these weren't available and we could all age naturally. Is that selfish? I just feel like it's not an even playing field any more. Not sure if that makes sense.

But it's never been an even playing field.. Not to mention, some people show signs of aging sooner than others, and some look young for a very, very long time... naturally.

I'm from a major plastic surgery area, and unless this new surgery is beyond anything that's ever existed before, many who have had surgery look like they've had surgery. They're on a whole other field.. of people with good and bad surgeries. :001_smile:

Ooo! I just googled lifestyle lifts! Those people look great! Why not be happy for them? I bet they feel fantastic about how they look. Ultimately a lot of people still look their age, they just look good for their age. I don't see any before and afters on the website that make a 40 something look like a 20 something.

It is sad to see the droop coming to get me...

Edited by helena

I have no opinion on face lifts, really. If you want one, fine. I don't think I'd ever do it, though.

However, this thread reminds me of a local commercial for some plastic surgeon who specializes in botox and other similar procedures. The doctor looks so horrendous that she is startling. I mean, she is REALLY overdone. She looks like a characterization of herself. Anyway, her first round of commercials showed her close-up. Then, a few months later, the new round of commercials only showed her from far away. I think her first commercials were scaring people. LOL

Hmmm, I guess I see it more like braces or eye cream.

I agree with the poster above that says there never was a level playing field. In some cases, cosmetic surgery will actually level the playing field! I don't really consider it a playing field to being with though. For those who want to pay for these type of procedures and take the risk.. good luck to them I say!

The playing field has never been even. Those with the funds and inclination will get whatever procedures they desire. I sometimes wonder if classic beauty will ultimately be available only to the rich or to the genetically lucky people.

:iagree:

It would be nice to keep my eyelids out of my line of sight. Dang gravity anyhow... :glare:

If your eyelids are truly obstructing your vision, your insurance company might cover to have those "done." My mom had this problem. I can't remember the technical name...it starts with a "b." Anyway, the insurance company covered it b/c her eyelids were interfering with her vision. She actually had it done at the same time she had her hysterectomy, so she got a two-for-one on the anesthesia. :lol:

My Dad just had it done last year, too, because his lids were so droopy that he was having problems seeing. He didn't even change that much once they did it (no eyebrow lift..they just fix the droop), and he can see at night now, which is something he couldn't do before because the droop made it so hard for him to see.

Honestly, as I age, I know that if I saw myself as being in competition with other women, I would become less and less happy with each passing year.

I am happily married though, and I am not competing with anyone.

I know that unrealistic ideas of beauty can create a discontent in me and in other women, but I don't think that the living, breathing women around me really create that unrealistic expectation - even if they have facelifts. I think most of that ridiculous vision of how a woman my age should look comes from tv, magazines, etc.

I'd do it. I guess it runs in my family though. My great-grandma and grandma each had two and my mom is having one next week. I don't see it as competing with anyone. I would do it for the same reason I wear makeup, dress nice, do my hair...to feel the best I can. It's not about how others view me, but how I feel about myself.

Also, I think a lot has to do with heredity. In my family, droopy eyelids and jowls are common. I don't mind the wrinkles, but the jowls......ummmm, no thanks.

If your eyelids are truly obstructing your vision, your insurance company might cover to have those "done." My mom had this problem. I can't remember the technical name...it starts with a "b." Anyway, the insurance company covered it b/c her eyelids were interfering with her vision. She actually had it done at the same time she had her hysterectomy, so she got a two-for-one on the anesthesia. :lol:

Well they're not that bad yet, but are clearly heading in that direction. I'll keep that in mind as we do have pretty good insurance.

Also, I think a lot has to do with heredity. In my family, droopy eyelids and jowls are common. I don't mind the wrinkles, but the jowls......ummmm, no thanks.

:iagree: It's not the normal aging that bothers me; it's the freaky genetic stuff. I have deep folds under my eyes that make me look like I've been crying or haven't slept in a year (thanks, Grandma.) No lifting cream or makeup hides them.

Edited by Mejane

I'm from a major plastic surgery area, and unless this new surgery is beyond anything that's ever existed before, many who have had surgery look like they've had surgery. They're on a whole other field.. of people with good and bad surgeries. :001_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Sometimes, people get incredible results, and others... not so much.

I recently bumped into a woman I knew from high school and she seemed so surprised to see me. After we chatted for a few minutes, I realized that she wasn't surprised; it was just that her face didn't move. At. All. :eek: Her skin had that shiny, plastic look to it. I wanted to stick her in a clear plastic box and slap the words "by Mattel" on her. (Her new implants were a little... ummm... over the top as well, if you know what I mean. She could have been the new Fighting Middle Age Barbie.

I could tell that she'd had a complete lift, which was not at all necessary for a woman in her 40's. She'd really been sold a bill of goods by her surgeon, and the results were not pretty.

The saddest thing is that she'd been such an attractive woman before she had the work done. I'd seen her a year earlier and she truly didn't need a thing done to her face.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I will never understand why Oprah just doesn't do a little lipo here and there. Once the fat is gone, it doesn't come back. ( If a person can get to a stable weight). That's what I'd like, because lets face it, my thighs haven't seen age 20 in a long time. I would be the same person, just with smoother thighs. I don't see the problem. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

The playing field has never been even. Those with the funds and inclination will get whatever procedures they desire. I sometimes wonder if classic beauty will ultimately be available only to the rich or to the genetically lucky people.

That's how I feel. And I'm wondering too if (over time) the numbers of those having surgery in this country will continue to increase and ideas about beauty will change completely. It's just a bit sad to have so much that is artificial about us as a people.

I hope not! To me, the main ingredient in classic beauty is a natural quality.. in her looks and attitude in life. I think they're born, not made. I don't think Audrey Hepburn would have moved people the way she did if she had pumped up lips.

I hope not! To me, the main ingredient in classic beauty is a natural quality.. in her looks and attitude in life. I think they're born, not made. I don't think Audrey Hepburn would have moved people the way she did if she had pumped up lips.

But Audrey Hepburn had Max Factor....

I recently bumped into a woman I knew from high school and she seemed so surprised to see me.

:lol: I "met" someone on facebook from high school and thought the same thing. It was "YIKES! Surgery gone awry!" She was pretty in high school but now she looks plastic pretty - strange and cartoonish.

One thing to keep in mind, is that all the vanity that leads to facelifts also helps put money in the pockets of doctors who, for the most part, also do life-changing and life-saving work. Most plastic surgeons, even ones in it for the money, do a certain percentage of charity and pro-bono work for those who truly need it.

If and when I'm in a position to have the money, I could see getting something done. Eyes lasered (I probably couldn't be completely corrected, but it'd make glasses a lot cheaper afterward), maybe a breast lift or reduction once I'm done using them for their intended purpose, possibly permanent hair removal, and I could probably do another orthodontic go-round for cosmetic purposes.

I'd also like to get a few more tattoos.

The soonest I could even theoretically have that kind of money to burn would be a couple of decades from now, and when it came down to it I might just decide I'd rather adopt another child or travel or something.

I have already told dh that soon after turning 50 I will want my droopy upper eyelids done. I want them done before they look terrible. I see my mom and I don't know how she lives with it. She doesn't have to but she just scoffs at the idea of fixing it. That is not going to fly with me.

I have two friends who had the full on face lift. One friend, C, had a face that looked angry all the time. She is a very kind person but as her face settled into it's ageing look, she looks really pissed off. People at work were always asking her if she was mad about something. Other times, people would say stuff like, 'I saw you at the mall but you looked so upset I didn't want to bother you. Are you ok?" So, she decided she needed a lift. She did look better after that.

My other friend has the money. Period. SHe is very hard working and sucessful in her field and has money to spend. Good for her. She wanted to 'freshen up' a bit to stay competitive. I don't actually see the difference, to be honest. But she does and she earned the money so it's her business.

If she had asked me, I would have suggested some laser work and botox etc before jumping into the face lift. Now, if I had the money, I would be getting some lasar work in a heartbeat! No question.

But Audrey Hepburn had Max Factor....

:001_smile:

Well, there's just no winning is there? We're just way to hard on each other.

I'm a lover of beauty. I don't discriminate on age, size, personal choices on make up or surgery, or to keep it natural. It's not my place to categorize women, (I'm not saying that you think that).

I do cringe when I see women with disfiguring plastic surgery (I see it often), it stings like seeing someone terribly under weight. It's sad, it looks like self mutilation. It's also a bummer when super young girls do it. There's a lot to dislike about that industry.

But, I think rejecting makeup or self beautification (even shaving), can get very ugly and judgmental. I've known more than my fair share of women young and old who are so sour towards ladies who fix themselves up. It's negative, uncomfortable to be around, and often steeped in personal issues.

To me, a bad attitude towards your sisters is way more of a turn off than a mom of 4 getting a tummy tuck, or even a 20yo getting implants.

I don't see much difference between paying for a quicker fix to maintain or going nuts exercising.

Either way, they are wanting to get a flatter tunny and smaller butt or thighs.

Same for makeup, skin toning or anti aging lotions.

Personally, I don't think I look to bad for a woman baking her 10th baby.

I am not looking to change who I am or make myself look younger, but if it made me a bit healthier quicker without horrid side effects? Such as maybe some lipo? All over that idea.

Personally, I will gladly spend a bloody fortune on my kids teeth. I have always hated my smile (crooked teeth since second grade) and feel a beautiful smile is well worth the money. I also won't make my kids wear birth control glasses, as dh refers to those hideous cheapest you can get styles.

And I am not by any stretch uber self conscious of appearances, mine or others. I am actually rather oblivious most of the time and don't wear make up very much at all.

I got over the need to complete with other women in my early 20s. I don't feel the need to complete with my younger self now.

Other than working to keep a healthy weight and basic skin and medical care I look forward to seeing what old age holds for me.

My feelings on this issue do not extend to what other women do. I think my way (accepting yourself and who you are) is healthier but then again I was only average to begin with. Some people have a great deal more of their personal happiness invested in their looks, and changes can mean a lot of pain. I remember the pain of not being pretty enough when I was a teen. If they can't find acceptance internally I suppose they have to find a solution elsewhere.

But I can still root for self-acceptance, can't I? :tongue_smilie:

Lots of people here in SoCal get plastic surgery. The only ones that bother me are the women who end up looking ridiculous, because I feel sorry for them. There was an article in the paper a while back that featured a woman who was about 60 who'd had surgery, and she was so thrilled that she looked 40. Except she didn't look 40; she looked like a 60-year old who'd had surgery to try to look 40. *I* looked 40 at the time I read the article, and guess what - I *was* 40. I'm sorry but surgery can never really take off those years - her skin still looked "thin" and aged.

I guess I shouldn't feel sorry for them if they are happy with it.

I'm not one to dwell on playing fields or other people who have plastic surgery, but I think everyone has things they would "fix" if there were no negative repercussions. When I was young, I was teased about my nose a lot-- Now I like it just fine. There are other things now though.

If I ever stabilize my weight, I will want to get a tummy tuck to get rid of the baby flap that covers my c-section scars. I'm not sure if I would do more than that, but breast reduction & lift would be nice also.

I don't think I would undergo such major surgery until my kids are both self-sufficient though.

Due to poor sunscreen use, around 40 I got terrible brown spots all over my face. I felt the need to put on makeup because without it the spots were just hideous to me. I finally got them lasered! So happy now, and go without makeup most of the time (but never without sunscreen!).

Happily married, loving adoring husband...it was totally about me and what I felt when I looked in the mirror.

I struggle with this decision. On one hand, I feel it's silly, superficial and kind of sad to want to erase the roadmap of your life. On the other, I hate my saggy skin, the wrinkles between my eyebrows, emerging jowls and forehead wrinkles, and I *really* want to do something about them. Badly. If I could get over the idea of them cutting off a large chunk of my largest organ and throwing it in the garbage, while I paid them oodles of money and ran the risk of stroke or heart attack, I will gladly get the tummy tuck I so desperately need and I might want them to re-inflate my books (or at least put them back where they are supposed to be) - they've both served me well and it's time I get them back. Right?

But, the face? Eh...I don't know. I think I'll opt for spending entirely too much money on potions and lotions until I might need to consider laser. I don't think I could do a surgical facelift.

:001_smile:

Well, there's just no winning is there? We're just way to hard on each other. Sad but true!

I'm a lover of beauty. I don't discriminate on age, size, personal choices on make up or surgery, or to keep it natural. It's not my place to categorize women, (I'm not saying that you think that).

I do cringe when I see women with disfiguring plastic surgery (I see it often), it stings like seeing someone terribly under weight. It's sad, it looks like self mutilation. It's also a bummer when super young girls do it. The trend in my neck of the woods for the upscale crowd is a procedure at 16 or 18 as a birthday or graduation gift. Sick, sick, sick... There's a lot to dislike about that industry.

But, I think rejecting makeup or self beautification (even shaving), can get very ugly and judgmental. I've known more than my fair share of women young and old who are so sour towards ladies who fix themselves up. It's negative, uncomfortable to be around, and often steeped in personal issues. And on the other side of that coin, I've watched my mom get entangled in what I call the Beauty Shop Follies. At 75 she finally decided to give up the weekly set and tease, and she now looks better than she has in the last 25 years - much younger, too! But yes, I do agree that the side you mention is painfully judgmental. I have experienced that personally, and though I will not elaborate on that experience here....it was very discouraging to me personally.

To me, a bad attitude towards your sisters is way more of a turn off than a mom of 4 getting a tummy tuck, or even a 20yo getting implants.So, so true.

FWIW, we *love* Audrey Hepburn here. She was born beautiful. Makeup just makes her look flawless.

It's sad that we (as a culture in general) seem to expect "flawless." That's so unrealistic. Yet also sad that we judge others for reasonable procedures. Like when that mom of four you mention had two C-sections, one for a set of twins, and now has great cause for that tummy tuck! (Says me, considering my reflection in the mirror...)

It's a real balancing act, isn't it?

If or when I can afford it, I would like to get a breast lift, maybe augmentation. I figure they have served their purpose and now I would like to have them returned to their orginal state please. I might even consider a little lipo to the belly. My hubby loves me just the way I am as do my children and I could really care less what anyone else thinks. If I had this done it would be entirely for me. I would just like to have a profile where my breast stick out farther than my belly and it wouldn't break my heart any if everything was just a wee bit firmer and less jiggly. Given my physical status, I don't see this happening with exercise. Finally, I would just be tickled pink if I could force my hair to do what I want it to do but I have been fighting that battle for as long as I can remember and I don't think I am going to win it any time soon. :glare: