Menu

Reading on an x, y or z grade level--question and poll

Is your child reading...  

1. 1. Is your child reading...

• below grade level
    • about on grade level
    • above grade level

I see so frequently people post that their dc is reading on some particular grade level but I can't find any tests or guides online that explain what is considered 'normal' for each grade.

How can I find out what level my kids are reading on? (Just out of idle curiosity...)

And also out of idle curiosity I'll post a poll with this...

I think there are reading tests but I've never administered one to my kids. Many kinds of kids' literature have age ranges or grade levels somewhere on the cover or in the front of the book, I sort of use those to gauge things. I would say my 8 year old is ahead of grade level, based on the books he likes to read, like Percy Jackson. Last year I was worried that he was behind grade level, but he really took a leap forward and began reading constantly.

You can roughly determine this sort of thing, or you can pay to have your kid tested.

Here are a few web sites you can use:

This one has you type in a passage from something your child can read fairly well. The longer the passage, the more accurate the scoring will be: Readability Score

This one allows you to look up books by their title or author and check the grade level according to Accelerated Reader: Acc. Reader

I prefer the second site... less work! Just put in the title of something that your child has recently read and it will give you a rough grade level, enough to know whether they are *choosing* to read at grade level. Of course, it won't tell you what their ceiling is, but if you child is five and reading The Hobbit, she is reading above grade level. :001_smile:

I've used the Scholastic BookWizard to get a rough idea of what the books my son reads would be rated.

We did The Hobbit as a family read-aloud in the middle of second grade. When he heard there were books beyond it, he wanted to read them. After my ancient copy of Fellowship fell apart, I bought him his own version of Lord of the Rings. I figure he's above grade level since he was able to read the whole LOTR series on his own in 2nd grade. I've never managed to get through the books. I had him take the Book Adventure quiz for reading comprehension and he passed them.

He learned to read (on his own) in first grade so he could read Calvin and Hobbes. If I tried to teach him how to sound out a word there was wailing and gnashing of teeth (on both our parts). I'm very grateful to Calvin! It's been the wildest thing to watch how he learned. And it's humbling too - it's got absolutely NOTHING to do with me.

Reading A-z.com has directions on how to do a running record and find reading levels that way. Their sample books work pretty well for an estimate, even without buying the subscription. This is similar to the DRA test/levels that many primary schools use-with the added bonus that if you do it yourself, you're not stuck starting at level AA and aren't required to stop 1 grade above grade level-as many schools do.

I think ElizabethB has some reading level tests linked on her website http://thephonicspage.org/

Yes, I do.

The wide range test is quick, but not as accurate as the NRRF test. It has a flat bell curve, a bit high on the low end and a bit low on the high end.

The NRRF test is better, but is normed to late 1800's/ early 1900's norms, so scores are a grade level or two advanced from today's norms. (But, the norms are where a child taught with phonics should be, current norms are off because reading is not being taught as well.)

http://thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

We do our annual testing through our virtual academy which uses an interactive computer test. I get their lexile level as part of the results. Their test results fit their actual abilities, though both choose independent reading at lower than their abilities in order to find content that interests them.

There is also a site that will give you the Lexile score for most books that will tell you what the grade level is for the books. Sorry I don't have it readily available but maybe you can look for it. I have six kids and most of them read on or above grade level. The youngest one is lagging a bit but I think that it is mostly due to lack of interest. I work really hard to find things she will like and I win more often than not but she still reads a little slow.

I can't seem to find the actual online assessment I used for my kids over the summer, but it was similar to this: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/060899.htm

All 3 of my readers scored at least a grade level ahead, but one still has a little trouble with comprehension, and two stink at spelling, so take that for what it's worth.

I actually find it hard to say. Thanks to phonics instruction, DD is willing to at least attempt to read most anything (ex: the other day she sat there and read, or attempted to read, the titles of all of DH's new textbooks for the semester), but she doesn't have much staying power (i.e., she'll balk if there's more than a short paragraph on a page, even if the individual words are easy), and she's still so focused on decoding that her comprehension is low.

I've concluded that the best cure is simply for her to read more, and I predict that she'll make another leap soon and definitely be on grade level (she's tended to make fits and starts and jumps with things like this, rather than steady progression).