Menu

HSing miniquiz

kristinannie

I started looking into homeschooling because I couldn't imagine sending my children off to spend most of their day with random people. I sometimes liken it to a divorce where the state gets custody through the week and I get the kids on the weekend.

At the time, and by "the time" I mean before any of my children were even in kindergarten, I was mainly considering homeschooling through third grade. Now I don't have a set age/grade to stop homeschooling. I'm would love to homeschool through graduation, but I'm also open to the idea that my children may go to public school at some point. I can't say why they would. I'm just leaving it open. You never know. It's all about their needs and I can't predict those.

Just one thing? I love spending time with my children. I know they'll be grown up and moving out before I'm ready. Close runners up are: providing my children with an education that I believe is superior to what they would receive in public schools, planning, re-planning, ordering, planning, and learning with my children.

The hardest part for me is financial.

Why did you start HSing?

-Initially we started because DS was in Early Intervention from 3 to 4 years old and they wouldn't be making a decision about whether he was eligible for the following year until after the registration dates for most of the preschools in the area. We discussed it and decided to keep him home until kindergarten (they didn't want him back until he was 6 - late August birthday). Then it was going so well, we discussed it and decided to continue homeschooling him. Our main reason is because ds is a little quirky - probably sensory issues, definitely a little "off" socially. I think in school he'd be bullied and be constantly getting in trouble for not sitting still, asking too many questions, being too creative with his work, etc. He also learns fast (always very interested in letters and numbers) and he's not the type of kid to sit quietly and be bored so, again with the getting in trouble. DH and I were both bored senseless in school and had no doubt we could do better.

When you started, how long did you plan on HSing and has that changed?

Once we decided to really homeschool (not just doing preschool activities at home) we planned to continue until high school at least. That is still the plan.

What is your favorite thing about HSing?

I love spending a lot of time with my kids. I didn't get to with my oldest because I had to work full time when she was young. I enjoy teaching and seeing them make connections.

What is the hardest part of HSing?

Being around my kids all day. :tongue_smilie: I'm a bit of an introvert and I crave peace and quiet. I never get it. Even once dh is home, our house is so small there's no place to get away.

I started looking into homeschooling because I couldn't imagine sending my children off to spend most of their day with random people. I sometimes liken it to a divorce where the state gets custody through the week and I get the kids on the weekend.

I love this analogy! That is how I feel too. I love my kids, and feel that God has given me responsibility to care for them. I think that homeschooling them provides the emotional, spiritual and academic best for them.

I started homeschooling for a multitude of reasons, but mostly because I feel I can provide a much more superior education to that which she will recieve in public schools, and even better than private schools.

Well. I don't have to report until next year, so technically we haven't even started. But once I made the decision, I knew I was in it for the long haul, but that I'd also make the decision each year. So, my default position is homeschooling, unless something drastic happens to change my mind.

My favorite thing about homeschooling.... oh, this is tough! I absolutely adore being there when DD makes a big breakthrough. When she reads a particularly tough word, or figures out a math concept that she's been struggling with. The look of pride on her face, and the fact that I am there to share it with her, is just amazing.

I also love being around my kid. I see so many parents who barely have a relationship with their child, even at 6, 7 years old, and I can't imagine what that will look like in another 10 years. Not that homeschooling is a guarantee that we will be close, but I do think it promotes it.

The hardest part for me is a combination of financial and time management. We live off of my student loans, which aren't very much, so I have to really stretch our money. Since I'm in school, I have to worry about where DD will be while I'm in class. Luckily it is somewhere around 20 hours a week, but still a lot when you are 3 hours away from family. I've had so many people tell me that I could put her in school, not have to worry about getting a babysitter, and not have to PAY for a babysitter.

Why did you start HSing?

We started hs'ing formally when ds turned 5 mainly for academic reasons.

Out loud, I said that we would take it a year at a time. To myself, I said through 5th grade or 8th grade. I tried not to think too much past that. In the back of my mind, I thought until he gets into an Ivy League School. I've pretty much given up on the idea of an Ivy League School. :glare:

efficiency of meeting individual needs (at least for the student)

mother-son differences especially when both have raging hormones

Why did you start HSing?

I started homeschooling because I wanted my kids to get a better education than I got; because I didn't want my kids to be subjected to the social quagmire of schools; because I wanted my kids to have a wider variety of interests than public school kid culture allows for; and because I wanted a lifestyle of living and learning with my kids.

I have always planned to homeschool through high school. Honestly, if I spend 8 years giving my kids an excellent education, I have no intention of letting that go to waste by sending them to high school. My husband has always maintained that he wants them to go to school to play sports, but as both my kids are highly skilled hockey players, and none of the high schools they could go to offer hockey, I don't think this will ever be an issue.

I don't think there is one favorite thing, but my top three would be that my kids are getting an outstanding educational foundation (and people who don't even necessarily approve of homeschooling notice and comment on this); that my kids are 100% uniquely themselves because they don't have the social pressure of what's cool in school; and that my kids have more time to pursue interests, hobbies, volunteer work, and just plain playing than they would were they in school.

Keeping my house clean. Seriously. If my kids were in school, they wouldn't be here making messes. All day. Every day.

Disclaimer: You may notice that I have a child in public school. Due to post-adoption issues and learning disability issues, school is the best place for this child. However, everything that I was attempting to avoid by homeschooling my younger kids has been made manifest with my schooled kid. Having my oldest in school has ONLY reinforced my belief that homeschooling is absolutely the right thing to do for my kids.

Tara

Why did you start HSing?

We are military. After the 7th move in 4 years (to different states) we decided to give it a try in New Mexico. The schools were horrid - figured, why not?

It was experimental, we only committed to one year at a time.

Only one??? I do really like the flexibility - but the academics are far and away better than the schools we live by - even though they are considered some of the best in Florida

Hmmmmm, depends on when you ask me. I suppose just the amount of extra work it is - trying to fit it all in.

We began because we want our children to receive a Biblical worldview and academic challenge. Public school is not an option for us. Private school is too $$$$. However, as we have read and researched and experienced this first year, HS has become our first choice and a very positive position not just a default option compared to private school. :)

Similar to a pp. We say out loud one year at a time, but I'm thinking to 8th grade and then see.

My favorite thing is being with my children and them being together. I love seeing DD "get" something. I love the flexibility and the freedom we have. I love the friendships our whole family has made because of HSing. I love the time to play outside every day and the fun of doing things like composer study that no schools here would do.

Hardest part is, as for a pp, no time by myself. We do rest time on the afternoons, but unless they are asleep....

Why did you start HSing?

I am going to homeschool mostly because that is what God has put into my heart. Once I did the research though, I honestly think it is the best thing for my kids. I was SO BORED in school except for the two years in elementary school when I was in a gifted and talented class where we were all on individualized programs and could work at our own speed. That is exactly what I want my kids to get at home. I also never was taught formal grammar. I know what a noun and a verb are and that's about it. I taught myself grammar as I learned foreign languages on my own as an adult.

I say that we are doing year by year and we'll decide every year. Partially that's true. I will only homeschool as long as God is in that decision and as long as it works for each individual child. I definitely want to HS until high school. We'll make the decision about high school when my kids get to that age. I would probably prefer to do HS at home too, but we'll see.

I love when DS finally has a breakthrough and gets something new. Sometimes we have to think of creative ways to get him there, but when we do, it is awesome! Also, I love doing math with peas and carrots at dinner...LOL.

I haven't started full time yet. I am just schooling him at home on snow days since he is in pre-K, but I know organization and the time commitment are the two things I am most worried about!

Why did you start homschooling?

I started reading about homeschooling when ds was 18mos old, entirely by accident. I was looking to beef up my own education, and checked TWTM out of the library unaware that it was about homeschooling. I never looked back and when Ds was finaly of school age, I'd done so much reading and thinking that the thought of sending him to a state school seemed surreal.

When you started, how long did you plan on HSing and has that changed? I planned to teach through high school. So far I am only teaching 2nd and K, but I hope to be able to keep at it all the way. My reasons for hs'ing won't change with my child's age, so as long as there is any way to continue, I will.

What is your favorite thing about HSing? I hate teaching phonics, but boy so I love being the one who taught them to read--what a gift to give your child! I love seeing the light on their faces when they make connections, and reading great stories aloud together.

Remembering to be just a mom sometimes and not making everything a "learning experience." Not worrying over whether I am doing it "right."

Why did you start HSing?

Originally it was because we couldn't afford the private school tuition, those reasons have since changed.

When you started, how long did you plan on HSing and has that changed? We made a 3 year up front commitment. We fully intended to place ds back into private school. By the middle of the third year we had moved and enjoyed homeschooling for many more reasons, so we committed to homeschool through high school at that point. We're now in our seventh year of homeschooling and that's still the commitment.

What is your favorite thing about HSing? On Mondays it's watching the school bus go by knowing my son isn't even out of bed. 7:30 is simply too early, we are not morning people.

In the real sense it's the power I have to decide which curriculum to use. Teaching at my child's pace, not the pace of a text or grade level. Right now his abilities span about 4-5 grade levels. We're doing subjects that he would never have the opportunity to learn in our area if he were attending traditional school, like Asian history and Latin.

It's not being tied to someone else's schedule, love that part.

On the parental side I have a much deeper relationship with my son than I would if he were in another setting. That is also true of his father. It's been very important that ds spend quality time with my dh, not just evenings when we are all tired.

What is the hardest part of HSing? It's a full time effort. I treat it like a job, it's what I do during the day. *I* tend to over think my choices, but I love to research. Sometimes self-discipline has been an issue. When you're the teacher and the mom and you're having one of those day, it's easy to throw in the towel. It's harder to buckle down and keep going. Somedays we chose the towel. :D

Why did you start HSing?

I started homeschooling when my DD's wonderful K teacher told me to! She told me flat out that the first grade curriculum would not allow the kind of enrichment and higher level material that DD would need to keep from being bored, and that since DD was already frustrated due to being the youngest in her grade and not physically as big or able as the other kids, a second grade skip (the principal had suggested a grade 2/3 combo class as an option) would be a bad idea. Her suggestion was to homeschool "At least until everyone else learns to read well".

We're going year by year, but at this point, I don't see DD being able to go back into a traditional school until secondary, where it's possible to be a 9th grader in a 12th grade math class, or to take come classes at the high school level and some at the college level.

The flexibility. I LOVE that when DH travels for work, we can travel with him instead of being stuck here, or that we can have a day of school on Sunday, or that we can spend three hours on science today and two on math tomorrow. I love that my language-loving DD can learn three languages. I love that I don't have to worry about whether moving to a higher level dance class will keep her up too late to get up for school, because there's not a tardy bell that rings at 8:00, and I can let her sleep a little longer and just run school a little later in the day.

Keeping one step ahead of DD. I've also discovered that running errands takes about 3x as long. Sometimes I feel like I live in the car.

Why did you start HSing?

I want my kids to have a more rigorous and individualized education.

I planned on homeschooling unless that was a poor choice for a particular child. My oldest is in 5th and we have no plans of using school for any of them.

Seeing the excitement when my kids understand a new concept or master a new skill.

Right now I'm feeling a little isolated because no one else in my neighborhood homeschools. I have homeshooling friends in my area, but it would be nice to have some more local ones.

Why did you start HSing?

I first starting investigating educational options in our area when I was still pregnant with my oldest! At some point in early 2000, I read the first edition of WTM. I suppose I should be forever grateful to the library system which purchased it and featured it in their new books section. :) We didn't settle on homeschooling immediately, but by the time she was two or so, we had looked into various private schools nearby and the public school system. We decided we couldn't necessarily afford private school (or at least not the sacrifices we'd have to make, on many levels, not just financial), and had concerns about the public school system. I admit that one of the things that appealed to me, also, was the idea of traveling during the year and not just on school breaks!

In the back of my mind, I vaguely considered that maybe we'd send dd to high school. In theory, I still say that we'll certainly investigate our options when she's in eighth grade before making a definitive decision, but I have difficulty thinking we'd find an optimum setting elsewhere.

Being in charge! :D No, I certainly enjoying being with the kids, deciding what to teach them, watching them learn, and planning. That said, I'm not so sure that sometimes, that ability to travel during the year isn't my very favorite thing of all. :)

No breaks, and no do-overs. I think homeschooling really brings into focus that you get each day once. If it doesn't go well, you pick yourself up and move forward, but there are no do-overs. There's also very few opportunities to do things like going to a healthcare provider by myself. I do find myself envying people that can do coffee with friends on a weekday morning, or meet their spouse for a lunch date. Of course, I'm also looking forward to the day I can leave my oldest at home in charge. :)

Why did you start HSing?

I'm sure we must have discussed it at some point, but I don't remember it. It was always known that we would homeschool any kids we had. Neither of us thought that the schools provided a decent education, and we despise the social atmosphere. All around us we saw kids whose personalities were shaped by their peers and the "eat or be eaten" environment and we wanted none of it.

When you started, how long did you plan on HSing and has that changed? All the way through high school. This hasn't changed. I would not be open to my kid(s) attending a school of any kind. There would have to be some really exceptional circumstance to change my mind about this.

If I had to pick only one thing, it would be the quality of the education. Probably tied for first place would be seeing my daughter grow up as an individual, able to enjoy her childhood and not being forced to grow up too fast.

The only hurdles we have seem to stem from my daughter's occasional moodiness (hooray for pre-teens!) and my own impatience.

Why did you start HSing? NCLB and poor quality schools to begin with. Teachers here are basically required to teach to the test, and they hate it. I want a better education for my child and plenty of time for her to play and be a kid.

When you started, how long did you plan on HSing and has that changed? At least through middle school, maybe high school. It hasn't changed yet, but Ariel is only 6.

What is your favorite thing about HSing? Being able to follow our interests, lots of free time (on good days, less on days with lots of dawdling), more experiential learning, being able to pick out curricula that look interesting and a good fit for my child (I'm a planner, what can I say? It's fun for me.)

What is the hardest part of HSing? The day to day implementation. We get bored. Luckily we can change most things around.

Why did you start HSing?

We started when my oldest was in 1st grade because he had a horrible classroom experience with a teacher that probably shouldn't have been teaching 6 year olds. He had loved PS K, but we moved to another state and it all went down hill that 1st grade year. My younger 2 have never been to PS

I went into it figuring we'd HS through High School unless the kids wanted to give high school at PS a try. That's still where we are.

The freedom to set our own schedule. My dh is military and it's nice to be able to take time off when he's actually not on deployment, or out at sea. It's also great to take vacations whenever we want and not have to worry about working around a PS schedule

For me it was finding the curricula that was the right fit for my kids. A close second was teaching my dd to read, she really struggles with it and I catch a lot of flack from people IRL for her not being able to read giant chapter books like Harry Potter at her age.

My answers are in blue. :)

Why did you start HSing?

I started because my oldest was having a hard time socially in ps and because I wanted the freedom to let her move at her own pace. I felt she was being held back and she was!

I just started this month. I plan to HS as long as my kids will let me :)

Freedom!!! :)

Trying to figure out the best schedule with two little ones running around all the time!

Why did you start HSing?

Pulled DS out in K when could not get his needs met. Planned on moving home (NJ)...that has yet to happen. DD never went back after a pretty horrible K experience (overcrowding, poor curriculum, not a fit for her). Could not afford private for dd but also began to develop a love of homeschooling. DH has always pretty enthusiastic about kids homeschooling. He loves that they are homeschooled, seriously. He wishes he had been. He and his brother are highly gifted with crazy high IQs but both had terrible school experiences after elementary school. Both dh and his brother have spoken with me over and over again how much they love that the kids are homeschooled, and how different their lives would be had they been homeschooled.

I said I would HS as long as I need to. I can imagine if they kids ever go back to school I'll be a PITA parent, picky about everything because now I KNOW what works/what doesn't work for my child.

Rabbit trails.

I love coming up to a topic and decide to investigate further. We are surrounded by book baskets which are labeled (different subject in each basket). Last year we lost some of our joy, this has been a way to get it back.

But this is just one of a long list of homeschool loves.

It's a full-time job ++. I have 3 little people and I spend hours and hours preparing book baskets, reading lists, pulling worksheets off of the internet, scouring book stores, going to libraries, choosing curriculum, etc.......

The "not enough Mommy time" is HUGE.

Edited by cjbeach

Why did you start HSing? I just couldn't imagine leaving my child with someone else all day! And the schools here are not what we wanted for our dc education. We had friends that home schooled and we were amazed by how well their kids interacted with adults (and children). I started asking questions and I just knew it was the course we would take. My eldest was about 4 months old at that time. I went to my first home school convention when he was three! I was excited to say the least!!

When you started, how long did you plan on HSing and has that changed? I have no plans to stop, unless God directs us differently. For now we will just keep on going.

What is your favorite thing about HSing? Being able to pick and choose our curric. Offering subjects he would never get in school. Taking field trips and "doing school" in different places besides behind a desk!

What is the hardest part of HSing? Never getting a break. Its a full time job. Your mom, teacher, house keeper, and wife. Not to mention friend, daughter etc. There is very little "me" time.

Why did you start HSing?

My older son had many difficulties in his early years of schooling, from daycare, through pre-school, right through first grade. I'm not sure how he almost always managed to get into a classroom with a perfectly horrid teacher, but that's what happened, and we had all finally had enough.... And it wasn't some particular thing he was doing, either....

I planned on hsing for a year, until I could get him into a local Montessori school, then they couldn't take him the next year, either, because they really tried to keep their girls and boys balanced in terms of numbers. I guess lots of folks were enrolling their boys there at that time, LOL. By the time two years had gone by, he kept visiting there, but kept deciding that he thought we were doing more at home and so didn't want to go there....

Being able to tailor studies to the particular child at any given point in time.

Doing high school level work or even facilitating that if you're not teaching it yourself. Keeping track of everything for transcripts, etc.

We started the first time when DS was in 1st grade because my son's teacher suggested that he needed to "see a doctor". He's a very dreamy kid and lacks focus, but come on! Also DD (in Preschool at the time) was experiencing stomache issues caused by being away from home for the whole day. At the time I thought they'd go back the next year, but it worked out that they stayed home for 2nd/K. Then we moved to a new school district that was considered very good. After 1 semester I realized that in less hours a day my children had learned so much more at home then the PS would ever teach them, and DD started getting sick again. So now we HS with no plans to return to PS any time soon. I would love to HS throuhg High School.

My favorite thing about HSing is how much time I spend with my kids and the knowledge that I am raising my children, not the state. The hardest part for us is MOTOVATION! Mine and theirs. But I remind my self on the days we struggle, they are still learning more on our worst day then they ever did in PS on the best day.