Menu

??? about MFW HS credits after reading Cathy Duffy's review. Is this a problem???

I've been researching MFW to use for high school, and I love so many things about them. Namely, they organize the core subjects so that it makes an overall plan. I SO need this. When I read Cathy Duffy's review, however, she made a comment that concerned me. (See blue highlight below.)

If you've used MFW high school, could you help me understand if this is a problem? I realize only 3/4 of the history cycle are complete, so how would we know whether or not colleges would accept the credits?

Would I need to add something like Speivogel to make it legitimate?

I want to be able to use MFW high school, plug in all of our neatly packaged curriculua and see at a glance what our credits look like in a 4-year plan. But, I don't want colleges to look at so much Bible, and reject our history credits.

Review of MFW high school by Cathy Duffy (from her web page):

MFW for high school level allows for more independent study than at younger levels, but it retains the coherent, worldview, Bible-based foundation of younger levels. The high school courses provide solid academic coverage, with a focus that is quite different from typical standards-based programs. The history sequence adds considerable information on Biblical and church history. Many literary selections have a Christian perspective, especially in the second year course. While I agree with MFW’s choice to purposely select what to teach rather than follow the traditional standards, college entry issues might arise whenever course content differs from that of most other schools. Because MFW also provides an academically-rich education, this is not likely to be a problem. If you prepare a child well academically, and possibly have them accumulate some CLEP credits during their high school years, they should be well-positioned for academic success in college as well as solidly grounded in their faith because of the intensive worldview education they will have received.

I've been researching MFW to use for high school, and I love so many things about them. Namely, they organize the core subjects so that it makes an overall plan. I SO need this. When I read Cathy Duffy's review, however, she made a comment that concerned me. (See blue highlight below.)

If you've used MFW high school, could you help me understand if this is a problem? I realize only 3/4 of the history cycle are complete, so how would we know whether or not colleges would accept the credits?

Would I need to add something like Speivogel to make it legitimate?

I want to be able to use MFW high school, plug in all of our neatly packaged curriculua and see at a glance what our credits look like in a 4-year plan. But, I don't want colleges to look at so much Bible, and reject our history credits.

Review of MFW high school by Cathy Duffy (from her web page):

MFW for high school level allows for more independent study than at younger levels, but it retains the coherent, worldview, Bible-based foundation of younger levels. The high school courses provide solid academic coverage, with a focus that is quite different from typical standards-based programs. The history sequence adds considerable information on Biblical and church history. Many literary selections have a Christian perspective, especially in the second year course. While I agree with MFW’s choice to purposely select what to teach rather than follow the traditional standards, college entry issues might arise whenever course content differs from that of most other schools. Because MFW also provides an academically-rich education, this is not likely to be a problem. If you prepare a child well academically, and possibly have them accumulate some CLEP credits during their high school years, they should be well-positioned for academic success in college as well as solidly grounded in their faith because of the intensive worldview education they will have received.

I think she kind of answers that at the end, which I bolded. We'll be applying to Christian Colleges, so it won't be a problem for us. With all the things listed out, it would be legit. history credit. I'm sure others will be able to help more with that.

We're doing MFW Ancient this year, and dd loves it! We'll be using it next year as well.

Edited by Brindee

I think she kind of answers that at the end, which I bolded. We'll be applying to Christian Colleges, so it won't be a problem for us. With all the things listed out, it would be legit. history credit. I'm sure others will be able to help more with that.

We're doing MFW Ancient this year, and dd loves it! We'll be using it next year as well.

Thanks, Brindee! Yes, I read the part you bolded. I have to believe that my question is a non-issue. MFW is so very well respected, and it wouldn't even make sense that they would write a high school curriculum that colleges wouldn't accept. What about non-Christian colleges or universities? Do you all think there could be an issue with them?

But, because of Cathy's comment, I've just had to ask.

Anyone else???:bigear:

Have you tried emailing MFW and asking what they think on this issue? It may be too soon yet for people to have used MFW and tried to get into college, but it would be interesting to hear what they have to say. Merry :-)

Yes, I sent an e-mail yesterday. Hopefully I'll hear something back in the next few days. I was hoping to hear from some of you who use it as well.

Cant imagine what she means besides the one credit in ancient history, which MFW states on their website is not required http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

However, I personally think that credit is quite ordinary.

Don't know why Cathy Duffy would make a generalization over one credit. Did she write the review when AHL was the only year available?

Julie

Cant imagine what she means besides the one credit in ancient history, which MFW states on their website is not required http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

However, I personally think that credit is quite ordinary.

Don't know why Cathy Duffy would make a generalization over one credit. Did she write the review when AHL was the only year available?

Julie

Julie, this review was updated November 2010, so it's very recent.

I can answer some of this.

Cathy Duffy herself says "this is not likely to be a problem". That's the sentence between the blue one from OP and the bolded one after it. If her review creates fear or concern, then it is oddly written. Is she making the case that those who attend Christian brick and mortar schools will have similar concerns? Or those who attend Classical schools, or do an IB program will have trouble getting into college? Nah. of course not.

I have a young adult friend who only homeschooled in high school when his parents decided to change their lives in the middle of his 10th grade year.

He was one of the pilot families in MFW high school at that! So, he has only used MFW and used parts of the 4th year in its pre pilot stages! The schools looked at his transcripts and his SAT/ACT scores.

My friend is attending a non Christian school, Missouri University of Science and Technology. He is on full scholarship.

I really don't think it will be a problem if a student has Bible credits and uses a Classical rotation of history. ;)

MFW strongly encourages use of CLEP and even sells some resources for that in US history 1. In fact, that's the reason behind the way that MFW does the last 2 years -- to line up more with College expectation and CLEP. Why would a college frown on that in admissions?

US history part 2 is in the final pilot stage and will be on display at convention this year and ready for market in the fall.

Let us know what MFW says.

But I don't Cathy Duffy's concern is all that big of a deal. MFW uses plenty of textbooks and all of that. Just because public schools don't usually do "ancients" as a separate course (gets blended into World), doesn't mean an extra Social Studies/History credit is a problem at all!

Have you seen MFW's 4 year plan in high school and how it lines up very easily with standard credits? I really don't think there is a problem using Christian Classical rotation curriculum and getting into a college of one's choice - secular or religious

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/HS_Course_of_Study.pdf

and

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/HS_Planning_Guide.pdf

-crystal

I can answer some of this.

Cathy Duffy herself says "this is not likely to be a problem". That's the sentence between the blue one from OP and the bolded one after it. If her review creates fear or concern, then it is oddly written. Is she making the case that those who attend Christian brick and mortar schools will have similar concerns? Or those who attend Classical schools, or do an IB program will have trouble getting into college? Nah. of course not.

I have a young adult friend who only homeschooled in high school when his parents decided to change their lives in the middle of his 10th grade year.

He was one of the pilot families in MFW high school at that! So, he has only used MFW and used parts of the 4th year in its pre pilot stages! The schools looked at his transcripts and his SAT/ACT scores.

My friend is attending a non Christian school, Missouri University of Science and Technology. He is on full scholarship.

I really don't think it will be a problem if a student has Bible credits and uses a Classical rotation of history. ;)

MFW strongly encourages use of CLEP and even sells some resources for that in US history 1. In fact, that's the reason behind the way that MFW does the last 2 years -- to line up more with College expectation and CLEP. Why would a college frown on that in admissions?

US history part 2 is in the final pilot stage and will be on display at convention this year and ready for market in the fall.

Let us know what MFW says.

But I don't Cathy Duffy's concern is all that big of a deal. MFW uses plenty of textbooks and all of that. Just because public schools don't usually do "ancients" as a separate course (gets blended into World), doesn't mean an extra Social Studies/History credit is a problem at all!

Have you seen MFW's 4 year plan in high school and how it lines up very easily with standard credits? I really don't think there is a problem using Christian Classical rotation curriculum and getting into a college of one's choice - secular or religious

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/HS_Course_of_Study.pdf

and

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/HS_Planning_Guide.pdf

-crystal

Thanks, Crystal! I'll pass on any information I get from MFW.

As I read Cathy Duffy's review, I felt like her comment was a "blanket" opinion that covered all of MFW high school..... not just the 1st year ancient history. This is why I became concerned. Now, I love the Bible coverage. It's one of the main reasons I want to use it.

My fear, whether it's legitimate or not, is that we would get through MFW high school and apply to colleges only to be denied. Then what???

I've never homeschooled high school, so I don't know if I'm asking a legitimate question or not. Please forgive my lack of experience, and thanks so much for help!

As I read Cathy Duffy's review, I felt like her comment was a "blanket" opinion that covered all of MFW high school..... not just the 1st year ancient history. This is why I became concerned. Now, I love the Bible coverage. It's one of the main reasons I want to use it.

My fear, whether it's legitimate or not, is that we would get through MFW high school and apply to colleges only to be denied. Then what???

I've never homeschooled high school, so I don't know if I'm asking a legitimate question or not. Please forgive my lack of experience, and thanks so much for help!

I feel just as inexperienced and lean heavily on people ahead of me.

As I read her comments, I read them as being very assuring comments that you will be fine using MFW even if their order is not "state standards focused" on history topics. She recognizes that in spite of the difference in approach to "standards", that MFW is offering a strong path for college prep and just trying to assure people that just because a curriculum doesn't follow "state standards" doesn't mean you won't get into strong college.

In other words, don't worry too much that you do a semester of history in 11th, followed by a semester of government in 11th knowing that in 12th you'll get the other half of history and then a semester of econ. Over both courses, you'll get it all in there. Colleges tend to look for a certain number of credits in various subjects and social studies is just one of them.

That's how I read what she wrote. Usually, 11th grade is US history, 12th grade is gov't and econ. But if you do 11th grade MFW US 1, and then do the option for CLEP, then a college will tend to see that in a very favorable light and a positive on the transcript and all of that.

one more link to look through to help see the big picture as you get ready to venture into high school years. go to page 9 of this link and see a small sampling of college admissions want to see lists

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/whlsample.pdf

and check to make sure any state or umbrella school graduation requirements are met. I know we're adding in computer elective (my daughter is doing well above umbrella school requirements and taking college programming courses).

Colleges will tend to look at Bible credits as electives.

And when you do your reading list, you'll have lots of literature over the years.

But as I read Cathy's review, it sounded very positive for using MFW high school.

-crystal

I feel just as inexperienced and lean heavily on people ahead of me.

As I read her comments, I read them as being very assuring comments that you will be fine using MFW even if their order is not "state standards focused" on history topics. She recognizes that in spite of the difference in approach to "standards", that MFW is offering a strong path for college prep and just trying to assure people that just because a curriculum doesn't follow "state standards" doesn't mean you won't get into strong college.

In other words, don't worry too much that you do a semester of history in 11th, followed by a semester of government in 11th knowing that in 12th you'll get the other half of history and then a semester of econ. Over both courses, you'll get it all in there. Colleges tend to look for a certain number of credits in various subjects and social studies is just one of them.

That's how I read what she wrote. Usually, 11th grade is US history, 12th grade is gov't and econ. But if you do 11th grade MFW US 1, and then do the option for CLEP, then a college will tend to see that in a very favorable light and a positive on the transcript and all of that.

one more link to look through to help see the big picture as you get ready to venture into high school years. go to page 9 of this link and see a small sampling of college admissions want to see lists

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/whlsample.pdf

and check to make sure any state or umbrella school graduation requirements are met. I know we're adding in computer elective (my daughter is doing well above umbrella school requirements and taking college programming courses).

Colleges will tend to look at Bible credits as electives.

And when you do your reading list, you'll have lots of literature over the years.

But as I read Cathy's review, it sounded very positive for using MFW high school.

-crystal

Thanks, again, Crystal! I loved reading the info in the link. I'm feeling better about the answers I've recieved about my question, and I hope the good folks at MFW will give some clarification as well.:001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...