Menu

Favorite Healthy Desserts?

I'm looking for new things in the dessert area. Dh and I are trying to eat healthy, but he really like desserts. I've tried a few good ones lately but I need more too add to my menus. Here are a couple from me:

http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/109169/9943jcq5grbcdv/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-bars

http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/136070/9943jcq5grbcdv/bal-s-lentil-cookies

Anything different? What are your favorites?

check out Ani Phyo's youtube channel and website- the pineapple icebox treat (don't remember the name) and the donut holes are favorites here.

The pineapple icebox treat looks so different. Can't wait to try it. I have a question though. Since it's a little cool, my coconut oil is solid. Are you warming it up to make it liquid as specified in the recipe?

I've made her donut holes and I like those too. Thanks!

Edited by BeckyFL

Tofu chocolate pudding. It's so easy and really tastes like chocolate pudding.

Dump a tub of silken tofu in the food processor or blender. Add 1/3 cup cocoa, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whip and chill. It tastes better the day after.

I also love medjool dates. They're so sweet, it's like eating candy.

Oh, good question- I haven't made it when the oil was solid but I think it would still work well. I don't think it would hurt for you to warm it up if you want, unless you're going for the raw food benefits. But, the oil is going to be firm after you freeze it anyway, and I'm pretty sure it will mix well if you don't warm it up.

Okay, this is going to sound so weird, and I would never serve it to company or anything... but my fave dessert is slices of apple spread with peanut butter, dipped in maple syrup. It's so surprisingly delish that I'd choose that over almost anything. I've had it 4 times this past week. :D My mom and step-dad live on a sugar bush acreage and make maple syrup, so it's always a big rush to finish the jug before the next season comes along. These easy guilt-free apple desserts help with that!

Okay, this is going to sound so weird, and I would never serve it to company or anything... but my fave dessert is slices of apple spread with peanut butter, dipped in maple syrup. It's so surprisingly delish that I'd choose that over almost anything. I've had it 4 times this past week. :D My mom and step-dad live on a sugar bush acreage and make maple syrup, so it's always a big rush to finish the jug before the next season comes along. These easy guilt-free apple desserts help with that!

I have to try this! It's on my list for tomorrow. :-)

Dump a tub of silken tofu in the food processor or blender. Add 1/3 cup cocoa, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whip and chill. It tastes better the day after.

I also love medjool dates. They're so sweet, it's like eating candy.

Thank you! I remember years ago I tried a tofu chocolate pie that was really good. This sounds much easier. I love chocolate!

You can do similar with avocado, too. I haven't made it in ages, so I don't remember our recipe. It's easy to google, though. Basically just mix together an avocado, cocoa, and sweetener until it tastes right, plus a bit of vanilla and/or salt to bring out the chocolate flavor.

It makes an amazing ice cream too, if you have an ice cream maker.

Oh, good question- I haven't made it when the oil was solid but I think it would still work well. I don't think it would hurt for you to warm it up if you want, unless you're going for the raw food benefits. But, the oil is going to be firm after you freeze it anyway, and I'm pretty sure it will mix well if you don't warm it up.

Since coconut oil has a very low melting temperature, warming it up gently (ie. stick the jar in warm water, not melting it on the stove or in the microwave) shouldn't be a problem as far as raw food benefits.

Tofu chocolate mousse. Similar to the pudding previously mentioned, but mousse-ier. :D

And apple pie bowls. My own creation: layer homemade crunchy granola and cinnamon applesauce in a bowl and warm for 30 sec in micro, top with whipped cream. It's my favorite easy dessert, the only thing I like better is tiramisu, but that is neither healthy nor easy.

My daughter recommends popsicles made from smoothies. We take yogurt, blend with orange juice concentrate and frozen/fresh fruit of choice and then freeze into popsicles. They are a favorite here.

I personally like fresh berries with a little homemade whipped cream. YUM!

My MIL has a recipe for popsicles similar to these. She mixes vanilla yogurt, honey, and mashed ripe bananas and freezes them in popsicle molds. They are very yummy.