Menu

"Buy Your Own Present" - Poor Marie

After her 90th birthday, Marie decided to send checks to everyone instead of gifts. On each card she wrote, "Buy your own present," and she mailed them early. Only after Christmas did she get around to clearing off her cluttered desk. Under a stack of papers, she was horrified to find the gift checks which she had forgotten to enclose.... : D

I saw this on another board. I thought it was funny and thought you would enjoy the humor.

My brother and SIL (childless) have been so kind as to send $25 to my DSs every single birthday and Christmas. It has been so regular that they start planning weeks ahead of time how to spend "Uncle D.'s money." They are grateful, but also have come to see it as a given. We talk every time about how gracious Uncle D. is, how they shouldn't expect this always, etc.

This Christmas, the card arrives. Inside, cheery note that ends with, "Have a great Christmas!" And no check. They had long ago "spent" the money in their heads. I put a quick stop to the dismay and pointed out that the economy was tight for everyone and I was glad to have a nice note from them and know they are well. We worked through it. Good lesson.

Unfortunately, a week after Christmas comes a gushing note from SIL - while my brother was on travel she sent the card and forgot to write the check and feels horrible. DSs response? "See, he always sends money!"

So much for the lesson.

My brother and SIL (childless) have been so kind as to send $25 to my DSs every single birthday and Christmas. It has been so regular that they start planning weeks ahead of time how to spend "Uncle D.'s money." They are grateful, but also have come to see it as a given. We talk every time about how gracious Uncle D. is, how they shouldn't expect this always, etc.

This Christmas, the card arrives. Inside, cheery note that ends with, "Have a great Christmas!" And no check. They had long ago "spent" the money in their heads. I put a quick stop to the dismay and pointed out that the economy was tight for everyone and I was glad to have a nice note from them and know they are well. We worked through it. Good lesson.

Unfortunately, a week after Christmas comes a gushing note from SIL - while my brother was on travel she sent the card and forgot to write the check and feels horrible. DSs response? "See, he always sends money!"

So much for the lesson.

"See, he always sends money!" :lol::lol::lol: Kids can be so funny. They do like to know what to expect. :001_smile: