Menu

Online Colleges/Universities

awtl

I have two questions regarding online colleges.

1.) Are there any good Christian colleges that offer online degrees and accept financial aid besides Liberty?

2.) Does anyone know if the online colleges such as Kaplan, Phoenix of Arizona, Ashford University, etc. are legitimate?

I would like to get an online degree. I prefer to get one from a Christian university, but if I can't then I'll try a secular college. What I'd really like to take is teaching, but you obviously can't do that online. My other choice would be linguistics/foreign language. It would be good if I could do translation work from home since it pays well and would be something I would enjoy. Thanks.

1.) Are there any good Christian colleges that offer online degrees and accept financial aid besides Liberty?

2.) Does anyone know if the online colleges such as Kaplan, Phoenix of Arizona, Ashford University, etc. are legitimate?

I would like to get an online degree. I prefer to get one from a Christian university, but if I can't then I'll try a secular college. What I'd really like to take is teaching, but you obviously can't do that online. My other choice would be linguistics/foreign language. It would be good if I could do translation work from home since it pays well and would be something I would enjoy. Thanks.

I don't mean to be snarky, but what relevance would the religious stance of a university have on that major? That major has nothing to do with religion.

Additionally, in an online environment, religion plays basically no role. There is no "campus environment". If one were to be majoring in something like Christian counseling (like Joanne did), I could see the relevance, but not linguistics.

a

There are quite a few colleges other than Kaplan, Ashford, and U of Phoenix (all very expensive for what they offer) and the first ones that come to mind are Western Governor's College and Thomas Edison State College. Both are secular and regionally accredited. You can also take classes from other universities online and transfer a number of those credits to another online U.

My daughter has taken online Spanish 1 and 2 courses from Clovis Community College in Clovis New Mexico at a very low price, and now she is using the University of Idaho to take an advanced Spanish course.

I think Asta has a good point: if it is an online course, does it really matter about the religious affiliation? As long as you have a Christian atmosphere in your home and daily life, you'll be okay.

Edited by distancia

I don't mean to be snarky, but what relevance would the religious stance of a university have on that major? That major has nothing to do with religion.

Additionally, in an online environment, religion plays basically no role. There is no "campus environment". If one were to be majoring in something like Christian counseling (like Joanne did), I could see the relevance, but not linguistics.

a

Not sure of the OP's opinion but I know for many Christians it's about the professors POV/worldview on things in general. While that major may not have much to do with religion, there are other classes a student must take. And some want to avoid being taught things that contradict the Biblical worldview. Or they want to learn how different subjects/topics relate to the Bible. For many Christians everything should be taught in relationship to the Bible or from a Biblical worldview.

Not sure of the OP's opinion but I know for many Christians it's about the professors POV/worldview on things in general. While that major may not have much to do with religion, there are other classes a student must take. And some want to avoid being taught things that contradict the Biblical worldview. Or they want to learn how different subjects/topics relate to the Bible. For many Christians everything should be taught in relationship to the Bible or from a Biblical worldview.

Then perhaps linguistics isn't the correct program: Hebrew and Greek is.

a

Then perhaps linguistics isn't the correct program: Hebrew and Greek is.

a

I don't get this... why would someone who wanted Christian profs (for whatever reason and whatever the study) need to stick to Hebrew and Greek?

There are Christians in literally every field out there, not just Biblical Studies. One of the major reasons my son absolutely loves his college is because the Profs all share his faith and nothing needs to be "hidden/covered up/pretend it's not there" when discussing aspects of the subject in class. It doesn't matter if it's Accounting or Old Testament Studies.

I went to a secular school and now sort of wish I had had similar experiences as my son is getting now. It wasn't right to be open about faith in a secular setting. If in a good school, the actual education doesn't change (accounting is still accounting - linguistics is still linguistics), but what can be talked about in regards to ethics and such things sure differs. Either secular or Christian can produce a good accountant/linguist who gets hired.

An online class might not have quite the same atmosphere, but any chats and assignment contents could still differ.

I know this runs counter to the belief that Christians are closed minded, but in reality secular settings discourage open discussions of faith or different worldviews. It is assumed that everyone is a humanist or at least keep their faith in a closet; whereas in a good Christian school, students are encouraged to examine and challenge their worldviews, Christian or otherwise, from a rational, intellectual basis, not an emotional one. They are challenged to think about what their worldview is and about how this worldview affects every aspect of their lives. Hope this clarifies the relevance of a Christian school for the original poster as well as many other folks on this thread.

Yolanda

Edited by Yolanda in Mass
grammar

I attend American Public University. It's all online, sister school to American Military University. It's regionally accredited, which is the most critical accreditation when it comes to degree recognition. I've taken 4 classes so far, and most of my classes have been more challenging than my son's equivalent's at a state university.

Regent (Regents?) University in Virginia

Re 1): It depends what you mean be legitimate. I would not accept an applicant for a graduate program, for example, with an on-line degree from a for-profit unless I had a very compelling reason, because I would doubt the rigor of the degree. If you must study on-line, do so from a brick and mortar school with regional accreditation. It of course depends on what you want to do, but also note that a school like Liberty has a particular reputation that many employers might find off-putting.

That said, I really question if a language degree is suitable for on-line study. Language acquisition requires speaking, and hopefully immersion--to major in Spanish at a brick and mortar you need to spend a semester or a year in a country speaking only the target language. This is different for something like Latin or Akkidian Cuneiform, but I can't imagine learning a difficult language without good guidance.

The biggest question is what you want to do with the degree. Ask people who do what you want to do if an online degree would work.

Re 1): It depends what you mean be legitimate. I would not accept an applicant for a graduate program, for example, with an on-line degree from a for-profit unless I had a very compelling reason, because I would doubt the rigor of the degree. If you must study on-line, do so from a brick and mortar school with regional accreditation. It of course depends on what you want to do, but also note that a school like Liberty has a particular reputation that many employers might find off-putting.

Regional accreditation is the most important thing. Not whether they are all online, all b&m, or offer both. I researched this subject in depth, and ended up choosing an all online school. Yes, it's a "for profit" but it is also regionally accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission, the same people that accredit Northwestern University and University of Chicago, for example. American Military/Public University's reputation among government contractors and the military is extremely high. As I've said before, the rigor is certainly there. Is it Harvard quality? No. Are my classes equal or more rigorous the classes at my son's B&M state school? So far, yes. One can not assume rigor based on whether a school is public, private or for profit. Are there bad apples out there? Yes, in all categories. For info on accredidation from the govt, go to

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg6.html#RegionalInstitutional .

Regional accreditation is the most important thing. Not whether they are all online, all b&m, or offer both.

Again, it depends on the field and what you want to do with the degree. I agree that regional accreditation matters, however, in the academic and work environments I've been involved in, an on-line degree would not be an asset. The issue is that even among regionally accredited on-line degrees, quality varies greatly, and its very hard to know what the degree means. If one degree says State University of X and the other is from an on-line university, the application with the on-line degree has a stigma to overcome, regardless of the rigor of the two degrees. On the other hand, if you get an online degree from say the University of Central Florida, it 1) will probably not say "online" and 2) I have some idea of what a degree from UCF means. YMMV-this is likely field dependent, but there is a reason that the DoE is requiring for-profit schools to demonstrate that their students are able to gain employment with their degrees.

In fact, asking about what graduates have done (how many have jobs in the field/went to graduate school, etc) is good exercise for any school one is considering attending.

If the the degree is simply a credentialing exercise (you need a BA in anything) for advancement in existing employment, or something like the military where the degree is not of primary importance, it may be different. This may change as more education moves online.

If the the degree is simply a credentialing exercise (you need a BA in anything) for advancement in existing employment, or something like the military where the degree is not of primary importance, it may be different. This may change as more education moves online.

This has been my experience. If a person has been working with a company on a job for 5 - 15 years and has a good reputation, but needs a piece of paper showing they have "a" degree, then online schools work out ok.

If someone is new to the job field or employer and wants a job, online education is well below those with brick and mortar diplomas. Even brick and mortar diplomas vary too depending on the preferences of the person or company hiring. If we have 20 applications and all other work experience is equal, certain schools will propel an applicant to the top (and an interview). Others will not. Online schools will not.

Maybe that will change in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't get this... why would someone who wanted Christian profs (for whatever reason and whatever the study) need to stick to Hebrew and Greek?

There are Christians in literally every field out there, not just Biblical Studies. One of the major reasons my son absolutely loves his college is because the Profs all share his faith and nothing needs to be "hidden/covered up/pretend it's not there" when discussing aspects of the subject in class. It doesn't matter if it's Accounting or Old Testament Studies.

I went to a secular school and now sort of wish I had had similar experiences as my son is getting now. It wasn't right to be open about faith in a secular setting. If in a good school, the actual education doesn't change (accounting is still accounting - linguistics is still linguistics), but what can be talked about in regards to ethics and such things sure differs. Either secular or Christian can produce a good accountant/linguist who gets hired.

An online class might not have quite the same atmosphere, but any chats and assignment contents could still differ.

:iagree:, I would love to attend a Christian College and am trying my hardest to get into one. If I cannot get into one, then I will be attending a college in NC where my cousins live. I don't want this to get into a big debate over religion, everyone has their point of views on it, but I love the Christian atmosphere about a Christian college. Most of the time nobody wants to hear about what religion you are or whatever and I just love how the professors can communicate with you on the same level of understanding. I emailed a student at a Christian college and they say the professors give them a lot of attention and will even pray for them if they need it.

This is what I like, and maybe an online school would be different, but I do agree.

I don't try to cover up my religion, but my old teachers did when there was a debate about God or whatever going on, and I would always be told to stop or I will be sent to the principles office. Why weren't the other kids that were arguing with me about it also threatened to be sent to the principles office? It was always me, and that wold give the other kids a sense of power!

Edited by LuvingLife

:iagree:, I would love to attend a Christian College and am trying my hardest to get into one. If I cannot get into one, then I will be attending a college in NC where my cousins live. I don't want this to get into a big debate over religion, everyone has their point of views on it, but I love the Christian atmosphere about a Christian college. Most of the time nobody wants to hear about what religion you are or whatever and I just love how the professors can communicate with you on the same level of understanding. I emailed a student at a Christian college and they say the professors give them a lot of attention and will even pray for them if they need it.

This is what I like, and maybe an online school would be different, but I do agree.

I don't try to cover up my religion, but my old teachers did when there was a debate about God or whatever going on, and I would always be told to stop or I will be sent to the principles office. Why weren't the other kids that were arguing with me about it also threatened to be sent to the principles office? It was always me, and that wold give the other kids a sense of power!

Getting into one shouldn't be a problem with a normal type of homeschool load of courses. Paying for it can sometimes be an issue, so doing the best you can is still great advice (just as it is for secular schools). You sound like you would love it at a Christian school. My son does. Just make sure you get a "Christian Atmosphere" too. Not all Christian colleges by affiliation also have a Christian atmosphere. That varies. At any college you will have students whose parents forced them to go there (I wish that didn't happen), and they rebel, but overall, the majority of the students aren't that way. My son really treasures his Christian friends and profs - AND his education.

Getting into one shouldn't be a problem with a normal type of homeschool load of courses. Paying for it can sometimes be an issue, so doing the best you can is still great advice (just as it is for secular schools). You sound like you would love it at a Christian school. My son does. Just make sure you get a "Christian Atmosphere" too. Not all Christian colleges by affiliation also have a Christian atmosphere. That varies. At any college you will have students whose parents forced them to go there (I wish that didn't happen), and they rebel, but overall, the majority of the students aren't that way. My son really treasures his Christian friends and profs - AND his education.

Thank you so much for your advice creekland I really appreciate it. I would love to attend a Christian college, but paying for it like you said could be the biggest problem I have. But I may qualify for 100% financial aid! I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that I have an interview scheduled for college admissions help and I just can't pass it up. And since I get straight A's in school, I might be able to qualify for scholarships that I didn't even know existed!

I also agree about the Christian atmosphere, not everyone is as friendly as the school claims their campus to be. But I have found a few that I would like to visit soon, and a few back up public colleges just in case. Thank you.:001_smile:

Thank you for the replies. I have been looking at the colleges that were suggested.

I understand that it would be difficult to do a foreign language or linguistics degree online, it's just that going to the actual college isn't really an option for me, but it's what I'm really interested in. It doesn't have to be Christian, that was just my first choice.

I love helping people learn English. To me it is very interesting and fun, but it's not really something that is doable from home unless you did tutoring from your home, which may be okay. A linguistics major helps you to be able to do that.

For some reason I've always loved words. Not just reading, but language, usage, etc. I even liked grammar (Yes, I'm a little weird :lol:). I'm studying French and started Latin a little bit ago. I hope to study Russian and Spanish as well, eventually.

Does anyone know anything about this site? It offers Latin, Spanish and French: http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/idl

Thank you for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ashford is pretty expensive at $300 plus per credit hour, and Kaplan doesn't even list their tuition and fees (always a deal maker for me when a business does that that).

you can find plenty of other online, accredited universities and colleges that offer degree programs at reasonable prices. They may not be Christian, but they are certainly reputable. http://www.elearners.com/colleges/

Edited by distancia

• 1 year later...

That sounds really interesting. I loved linguistics too. One way that you can tell if a online college degree is legitimate is by looking into its accreditation. Accreditation should be from a recognized body. For example, ACCSC provides for Independence University accreditation which makes it reputed college. Though the college does not offer a language course but it does offer programs that prepare students for in-demand careers. I hope you can find the course you’re looking for at from a good online institution.

That sounds really interesting. I loved linguistics too. One way that you can tell if a online college degree is legitimate is by looking into its accreditation. Accreditation should be from a recognized body. For example, ACCSC provides for Independence University accreditation which makes it reputed college. Though the college does not offer a language course but it does offer programs that prepare students for in-demand careers. I hope you can find the course you’re looking for at from a good online institution.

A reputed college? ;)

It isn't just important that a school can call themselves accredited, but that they have a kind of accreditation that is recognized as legitimate by other schools. This matters because students who begin a degree at one school often decide to transfer credits or go on for a higher degree. If the school doesn't have the right kind of accreditation the student may be stuck with totally worthless credits that don't transfer. Or if the school folds, the student is stuck having spent thousands of dollars with nothing to show for it.

The accreditation that college students typically want to look for is regional accreditation. These are the credits that will be more likely to transfer to another school.