Menu

Can we just revisit this Extreme Couponing thing again for a moment?

I think it's all bunk. I have couponed in the past and I never saved that kind of money. And they have so many limitations on coupons I too wonder how it is even possible. Many coupons state one offer per person per visit (so no combining the store coupon and the manufacturer's coupon). The coupons for things like meat/produce always say "if you buy X amount" so the most you save is $1 (off of $15).

I absolutely don't believe it!

I didnt read through the whole thread yet, but it is not impossible to do this. I have seen it with my own eyes. Most "hard core" couponers will run multiple transactions to get around store limits and in my 10 years of couponing I have maybe seen 2 or 3 coupons with a limit as strict as one per person per visit. That stipulation almost never exists. It is ABSOLUTELY possible to live on next to nothing with coupons. I have done it. At my best I walked out with over $800 for less than a $20. At that time we were a family of 4 living on less than $30 a month (bread, milk and meat). It is a matter how much much time you think is worth investing in it.

Where you get the coupons is easy- You buy off ebay or through a dedicated coupon clipping service.

I do not agree with what that guy did. I dont care if he donated it to a food shelter. Grab a few extras, fine. But what about those who are struggling but still are trying to make it their own way? Clearing the shelves just because you can, isnt very thoughtful.

With three kids I have less time for it than I used to, but even at my peak I only invested 3-4 hours a week into it. These days, because we have changed our eating habits so drastically, I mostly just get our toiletries free. I never pay for toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, feminine products, cleansers and many other products.

I do not agree with what that guy did. I dont care if he donated it to a food shelter. Grab a few extras, fine. But what about those who are struggling but still are trying to make it their own way? Clearing the shelves just because you can, isnt very thoughtful.

I just have to say even though during the show they showed him taking things off the shelves it is only because that is what the producers wanted to show. Everything he purchased in large quantities he had special ordered, he didn't clear any shelves. It is a shame the show portrayed it that way. He has his own website and numerous youtube videos so I learned that when I was doing more research myself. Just wanted to clear that up. :)

• 4 months later...

I just saw this show last night for the first time and my mouth hung open the whole time. I immediately pulled out all the coupons I had and started organizing. My husband created a spreadsheet for me to input all the coupons (my kids did the input) so I can sort by type of coupon, expiration date, etc. What a great husband!

But what we disagree on is whether or not you can come out of the gate getting items free and for pennies. From what I've seen from the coupons I have in today's paper is I can get items for 1 - 2 dollars each and at CVS I can earn the rewardsbucks for future purchases but how will I realize free items without using rewardsbucks on future visits? How do you get health and beauty for free? Here are the deals I saw today:

Body wash 2.00 each on sale but I have to buy three to use my coupon of $1 off.

Deodarant - 1.00 each after coupon

8-12 pk toilet paper - 4.99-9.99 then apply $1 off coupon

How do you earn these kind of products for free?

I don't have anything useful to contribute to the discussion, but I thought I'd share what happened two weeks ago with my family.

My husband and I have been collecting coupons and using the online Grocery Game site to experiment with couponing. Our son, Jackson, has been kind of dubious about all the time and effort spent on this project, and he was asking us about it when we made a special trip to CVS to take advantage of some sales there with our coupons.

Anyway, my husband and son waited in the car while I made the quick trip. I came back out to the car, all triumphant, and told them, "Look! I got everything for $3, and it would have originally cost me about $20."

Jackson asked from the back seat,"Mom, what's the big deal about coupons? The store doesn't care."

I said, "It's kind of like a game, Jackson. We're trying to get certain things for less money, and we won this round."

Jackson just looked thoughtful, and didn't reply.

Next, we went to Walgreens to pick up a prescription for my husband, only to find out that our insurance company had changed its coverage of the medication he was using, so it was more expensive. We'd been expecting to pay $25, but instead, we had to pay the $65 higher bracket. We were not happy.

As we drove away, Jackson waxed philosophically from the back seat:

"Guess the store won this time, Mom."

:glare:

Edited by Aelwydd

Hey! I can play! We were in a hotel this weeked (graduation) and we watched it on cable last night.

I love to save money, but I was also gobsmacked at why anyone would even want their children to drink that much gatorade or boxed juice.

My youngest expressed her sadness about all that plastic, and hoped they at least recycled it all instead of putting it in landfills. (I mentioned that some of the folks had brought their own bags, so that they probably did recycle. ) Then she said, "Do they not know that water is inexpensive, healthy, and you can put it in a reusable bottle?"

I was a jumble of similar thoughts/emotions about it. All that packaging, all that food that really isn't food.

BUT. I also know that I could be saving a bundle on Colgate Total, fi, which is the only toothpaste I like. Sorry Tom's of Maine :( I just had to break up with you. (PS Mambo Sprouts does often have Tom's coupons. )

Edited by LibraryLover

I started couponing and "playing" on an online site (don't want to mention it here -pm me if you want the name) just 3 weeks ago. So far I have saved 50% off my grocery bill, and I shop quite healthy-primarily vegetarian for me and DH, lots of produce, very little processed foods (ice cream does make it in our cart sometimes, however ;))

I am happy saving 50%, and don't plan on shooting for 90% off--I think a lot of that stuff is junk, but you absolutely can save on your bill even if you just want to eat healthy, buy some health, beauty and paper products, and carefully match manufacturer coupons with store sales. My grocery bill was ridiculous before I started this "game" online, and just this week I saved over $170 dollars (about 45% off "regular price") on things I would have bought anyway (that's key for me). I am building a reasonable 3 month stockpile of toothpaste, shampoo, paper towels, flour, brown rice, cornmeal, yeast, cleaning supplies, sponges, toilet paper, broth, tomato paste, organic chicken breast, and olive oil. Weekly I shop the fruit and veggie sales, shopping primarily for those produce items that are 50% off or at least discounted. I only buy organic milk, and that's rarely on sale, but that's okay.

DH was very skeptical that this would work, but so far, he's happy and so am I. Today I purchased crest toothpaste for 24 cents, kleenex for 25 cents, tom's of maine mouthwash for 99 cents, ronzoni ww pasta for 45 cents, blue cheese for 85 cents, and 42 ounces of Quaker Oats for $1.50, among other things. There are always some things I buy no matter what the price is (meaning, even if it's not on sale): DH insists on LOTS of arugala in the house, organic milk and butter and organic bacon for the boys. That rarely comes on sale, but that's okay.

Overall, I spend about 1 hour clipping coupons and matching sales on the game site, and then 1-2 hours shopping on Sunday. The only disappointment is that Florida stores never (rarely?) double coupons, and definitely not in my area.

Hmmm... I might check out the game if it helps with the kind of food I actually buy. That's been the biggest problem with couponing (besides the lack of doubling here).

I think Tom's is owned by Colgate now anyway. ;)

I know that, but unless you know a way to use a Tom's coupon for Total, what of it? lol

I have Rite Aid near me and I actually do buy Total on sale there. ;)

Btw-- My dh said the show looked like an excerise in gluttony, and he's not one to speak ill of folks. He actually likes people.

Edited by LibraryLover

Just easing any guilt of not buying Tom's ;)

Some of them do look like gluttons. :001_huh:

Ah, lol. Thanks. I don't need more guilt or worry. :)

For dh, gluttony was the continuing to excessively 'stock up ' on (mostly) unhealthy foods when the pantry was already fully (overly) stocked.

It would be nice to see something more thoughtful; maybe the purchase of budget-minded, more whole, less plastic-y food, instead the dump fest of vitamin drinks and hot sauces that we witnessed last night. Of course we agree that wouldn't have made for good TV or left us shaking our heads, feeling ill at ease and guilty for watching.

We're not very familiar with the show, so maybe they do/have shown more reasonable, more thoughtful buying of higher quality foods and goods. We can hope, right?

Edited by LibraryLover

Ah, lol. Thanks. I don't need more guilt or worry. :)

For dh, gluttony was the continuing to excessively 'stock up ' on (mostly) unhealthy foods when the pantry was already fully (overly) stocked.

It would be nice to see something more thoughtful; maybe the purchase of budget-minded, more whole, less plastic-y food, instead the dump fest of vitamin drinks and hot sauces that we witnessed last night. Of course we agree that wouldn't have made for good TV or left us shaking our heads, feeling ill at ease and guilty for watching.

We're not very familiar with the show, so maybe they do/have shown more reasonable, more thoughtful buying of higher quality foods and goods. We can hope, right?

The one with the closet FULL of 2 litter pops almost made me puke. :001_huh:

I would love to combine coupning and this: http://www.explorecompetelive.com/2011/02/22/zero-waste-family-video/

Edited by AngelBee

Hmmm... I might check out the game if it helps with the kind of food I actually buy. That's been the biggest problem with couponing (besides the lack of doubling here).

If you're referring to the grocery game, I've BTDT and I did save a TON of money, but the conservatist in me cringed at the food sitting around in my pantry just waiting to expire. There were great deals out there (and it's an awesome feeling to buy dressing for $.15) but I just ended up wasting so much food.

We've changed how we eat (more healthy, less fat, less processed food, more fresh) and the GG doesn't often help with that. I do still have a coupon binder, and I do get multiple coupons, but usually the deals I use them for are more household/health&beauty and less boxed food - which leaves more money for the healthy food :)

We also have a storage problem in our current house. There's only so much space I can stuff things around here :tongue_smilie:

Hey! I can play! We were in a hotel this weeked (graduation) and we watched it on cable last night.

I love to save money, but I was also gobsmacked at why anyone would even want their children to drink that much gatorade or boxed juice.

My youngest expressed her sadness about all that plastic, and hoped they at least recycled it all instead of putting it in landfills. (I mentioned that some of the folks had brought their own bags, so that they probably did recycle. ) Then she said, "Do they not know that water is inexpensive, healthy, and you can put it in a reusable bottle?"

I was a jumble of similar thoughts/emotions about it. All that packaging, all that food that isn't real food. )

:iagree:

It is a matter how much much time you think is worth investing in it.

:iagree: As with anything, there is a trade-off. I am a SAHM because it's important to me to be able to teach my children and to spend time with them. I've read that for some of the extreme coupon-ers, it's a full-time job. By couponing 40 hours per week, they're able to save hundreds on their food bills. BUT by working outside the home, they'd be making enough money to pay for hundreds of dollars worth of food. Either way, they're not there for their kids. So what's the difference?

:iagree: As with anything, there is a trade-off. I am a SAHM because it's important to me to be able to teach my children and to spend time with them. I've read that for some of the extreme coupon-ers, it's a full-time job. By couponing 40 hours per week, they're able to save hundreds on their food bills. BUT by working outside the home, they'd be making enough money to pay for hundreds of dollars worth of food. Either way, they're not there for their kids. So what's the difference?

I don't know if you meant that to come across the way it kinda doesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ as if moms who work outside the home aren't "there for their kids"? Many of us grew up with two working parents and they were still very much "there for us". ;)

I don't know if you meant that to come across the way it kinda does… as if moms who work outside the home aren't "there for their kids"? Many of us grew up with two working parents and they were still very much "there for us". ;)

My apologies for offending you. I've worked full-time and part-time, and I can tell you that when I did, I wasn't "there for my kids" nearly as much as I would have liked. YMMV.

Edited by ereks mom

Some of the "extreme couponing" shown on that show is likely fraud. Someone had posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating. It's very interesting to see it all dissected thusly. http://www.jillcataldo.com/node/16258

The sad thing is that if this kind of fraudulent use of coupons gets more attention, companies are going to get stricter on coupon use. I read somewhere in there (or another related link) that coupons aren't going to have those "family codes" mentioned in the article anymore. It's to prevent scammers from using coupons for the wrong products. Also, a lot of people mentioned that stores no longer double/triple coupons, or limit the number you can use, etc. It's because a few people are turning into rip-off artists with coupons. That's why I hate shows like the Extreme Coupon show. It leads people to think "you can do it, too" when that's not true. Some of the people on there are obviously playing the system and cheating.

I like to save my family money when shopping, but I don't use coupons. There are rarely coupons for meat, fresh produce or dairy. I rarely buy pre-packaged food and the toiletries and other stuff are such a small part of the shopping that it doesn't feel worth my while to scout for coupons that might save me $4-$5, if that. In addition to growing a lot of our food, I do shop the sales and plan my menus around that. In the winter, I probably spend $250 a month for 3 people, for food and toiletries. In the spring/summer/fall, it is roughly half that. To me, that's pretty good.

Edited by Audrey

I use two sites and my stores DO double but usually only allow a 4 per item limit. But even with those limitations I still save more than 50%, usually 60-70 and I am happy with that.

That said, I was watching too, and disgusted at the amounts of soda and gator aide. Water would be better than drinking all of that sugar.

Even bandages don't last forever. They lose their "stick."

For some people, shows like these are a means to stretching the budget further than they ever thought possible. For others, it's an OCD Problem waiting to flourish. I've seen too many episodes of "Hoarders" to want to go down that road.

I just saw this show last night for the first time and my mouth hung open the whole time. I immediately pulled out all the coupons I had and started organizing. My husband created a spreadsheet for me to input all the coupons (my kids did the input) so I can sort by type of coupon, expiration date, etc. What a great husband!

But what we disagree on is whether or not you can come out of the gate getting items free and for pennies. From what I've seen from the coupons I have in today's paper is I can get items for 1 - 2 dollars each and at CVS I can earn the rewardsbucks for future purchases but how will I realize free items without using rewardsbucks on future visits? How do you get health and beauty for free? Here are the deals I saw today:

Body wash 2.00 each on sale but I have to buy three to use my coupon of $1 off.

Deodarant - 1.00 each after coupon

8-12 pk toilet paper - 4.99-9.99 then apply $1 off coupon

How do you earn these kind of products for free?

Well, I have been able to get some things free or very cheaply by combining a coupon with a sale, BUT I don't have a clue how they do what is depicted on that show. If I find something that will be free or pennies, it's only the occasional item. I don't get how they could possibly fill multiple carts and spend $30 or whatever.

I'm also not willing to make it my full-time job to coupon. I'm willing to spend a few hours preparing for a shopping trip, but that's about it. I'm also fine with stockpiling only to a point. This past weekend, I could have gotten a very good deal on 3 jars of mayo, but I already have 2 jars in reserve and one in the fridge, so I just passed it up. I would never, ever buy 60 bottles of mustard, even if they were totally free. I view that as wrong on many levels, to say nothing of the fact that I don't actually understand how it is possible. My grocery store puts limits on things, so even if you have a great deal, you can't hog it all for yourself.

This past weekend, my main grocery store had $1 coupon doublers: four coupons that you could use to get $2 off of something you had a $1 coupon for. That is a good enough deal that there were things I could get for free (Purex laundry detergent, for example), but the limit is four of the doublers per household. I suppose some people may get around that by making multiple purchases over the week or having someone else buy for them, but I don't do anything like that.

"Guess the store won this time, Mom."

:glare:

Smart kid. Sorry he had to learn that lesson, though.

Even bandages don't last forever. They lose their "stick."

For some people, shows like these are a means to stretching the budget further than they ever thought possible. For others, it's an OCD Problem waiting to flourish. I've seen too many episodes of "Hoarders" to want to go down that road.

Agreeing. Many (not all) of the people profiled on Extreme Couponing are hoarders, imo. They just happen to hoard groceries instead of the junk that the show Hoarders profiles.

What I don't get is how any family can possibly use a garage full of food before it expires. My kids want a new cereal when the old box is gone...they don't want 26 boxes of Shredded Wheat in a row. :001_huh:

I also think that having an overabundance can lead to more waste in general.

Some of the "extreme couponing" shown on that show is likely fraud. Someone had posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating. It's very interesting to see it all dissected thusly. http://www.jillcataldo.com/node/16258

The sad thing is that if this kind of fraudulent use of coupons gets more attention, companies are going to get stricter on coupon use. I read somewhere in there (or another related link) that coupons aren't going to have those "family codes" mentioned in the article anymore. It's to prevent scammers from using coupons for the wrong products. Also, a lot of people mentioned that stores no longer double/triple coupons, or limit the number you can use, etc. It's because a few people are turning into rip-off artists with coupons. That's why I hate shows like the Extreme Coupon show. It leads people to think "you can do it, too" when that's not true. Some of the people on there are obviously playing the system and cheating.

I like to save my family money when shopping, but I don't use coupons. There are rarely coupons for meat, fresh produce or dairy. I rarely buy pre-packaged food and the toiletries and other stuff are such a small part of the shopping that it doesn't feel worth my while to scout for coupons that might save me $4-$5, if that. In addition to growing a lot of our food, I do shop the sales and plan my menus around that. In the winter, I probably spend $250 a month for 3 people, for food and toiletries. In the spring/summer/fall, it is roughly half that. To me, that's pretty good.

I had no clue :(

That is really heart breaking to me. I got all excited at the possibility. I will NOT cheat to save a buch though.

I had no clue :(

That is really heart breaking to me. I got all excited at the possibility. I will NOT cheat to save a buch though.

There are plenty of reputable ways you can use coupons and shop the sales to cut your grocery bill, but you're not going to get groceries for free, nor slash 80-90% off of your bill.

Really... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

So, here's my question (and please forgive me if this was discussed -- just point me there, I looked through a couple of pages and didn't see it). Is there any way that adopting a different strategy would work just as well? For me, I know a rock bottom price. I know how low something will go. I know that I can always wait a few weeks and get a 2# brick of cheddar cheese for $3.99. I'm thinking of a friend on Facebook who posted last week "Woo-hoo! I just got a $9.99 brick of cheese [2#] for $3.99 with a coupon! I saved $6.00 on cheese!" But, really, she didn't. She's giving the coupon the credit, but she could just adopt the strategy of only ever paying the lowest price. It will go on sale for $3.99/brick somewhere in town within 6-8 weeks. So I don't think of those bricks of cheese as $9.99 items. They're $3.99 items.

This is my strategy with most of my household shopping. Knowing the rock bottom price, and aiming to buy only at that price. I only pay $1.50-$1.67 for boxes of the Honey Bunches of Oats type cereal (well, any type of cereal). These are boxes that are usually $4.00 or so a box. But I can't say I'm saving 65% off my grocery bill, because I'd never pay that $4.00 a box. Spaghetti sauce -- I only ever pay $1.50 to $1.68 for a glass jar of the sauce (usually $3 something). Same as above -- I can't count the price I paid as savings because I'd never pay the $3 something.

So am I slashing my bill like a non-extreme couponer? I guess I feel like my monthly food expenses are pretty low when it comes to these types of items, but I can't in my head think that I'm lowering my bill by paying these prices. They're just the prices I pay. Am I making sense?

There are plenty of reputable ways you can use coupons and shop the sales to cut your grocery bill, but you're not going to get groceries for free, nor slash 80-90% off of your bill.

Really... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Yeah...sucked me in. :001_huh:

I hope the guy who donates 1,000 of boxes of cereal is for real. He is like my hero.

So, here's my question (and please forgive me if this was discussed -- just point me there, I looked through a couple of pages and didn't see it). Is there any way that adopting a different strategy would work just as well? For me, I know a rock bottom price. I know how low something will go. I know that I can always wait a few weeks and get a 2# brick of cheddar cheese for $3.99. I'm thinking of a friend on Facebook who posted last week "Woo-hoo! I just got a $9.99 brick of cheese [2#] for $3.99 with a coupon! I saved $6.00 on cheese!" But, really, she didn't. She's giving the coupon the credit, but she could just adopt the strategy of only ever paying the lowest price. It will go on sale for $3.99/brick somewhere in town within 6-8 weeks. So I don't think of those bricks of cheese as $9.99 items. They're $3.99 items.

This is my strategy with most of my household shopping. Knowing the rock bottom price, and aiming to buy only at that price. I only pay $1.50-$1.67 for boxes of the Honey Bunches of Oats type cereal (well, any type of cereal). These are boxes that are usually $4.00 or so a box. But I can't say I'm saving 65% off my grocery bill, because I'd never pay that $4.00 a box. Spaghetti sauce -- I only ever pay $1.50 to $1.68 for a glass jar of the sauce (usually $3 something). Same as above -- I can't count the price I paid as savings because I'd never pay the $3 something.

So am I slashing my bill like a non-extreme couponer? I guess I feel like my monthly food expenses are pretty low when it comes to these types of items, but I can't in my head think that I'm lowering my bill by paying these prices. They're just the prices I pay. Am I making sense?

How do you firgure out the lowest prices from store to store?

How do you figure out the lowest prices from store to store?

After 15+ years of watching prices, it's somewhat instinctive. I used to go from store to store to write it down (I learned this from the Tightwad Gazette books). Some items I still don't know instinctively. Anyway, weekly I watch ads for these deals and stock up when they're on sale. We only have 2 grocery stores here, and 1 national drug store. Driving elsewhere is not an option.

I spent a lot of time couponing once upon a time until I realized this. The coupons don't typically come out for an item when it is rock bottom price. Sometimes they overlap, but not usually. For examply, we like Skippy natural peanut butter. It goes on sale here 2/$4. If I have a coupon for $1off/2 then I am paying 2/$3. If I wait until the rock bottom time, when there is no coupon circulating (with a correct exp. date), it will drop to 2/$3. I finally clued in an stopped clipping all of those coupons. I just wait for that rock bottom price, and then I stock then.

I've just started couponing...and it is amazing how much money I am saving. No, I'm not buying 20 of anything...but I am building up a stockpile of things we normally use and our typical grocery needs. We used to have a great supply of items in our food storage (yes, I'm LDS)--but when dh didn't get paid for a few months recently, we had to live off of those supplies. (VERY thankful we had them!). Now, I'm working to build those supplies back up. When I had $20 to pay for food for the week, I was incredibly thankful I didn't need to spend any of it on toilet paper, toothpaste, or deoderant--or even rice, beans or canned vegetables!

Anyway, one thing I wanted to mention that is my favorite way to save money--price matching. I shop at Walmart...and they will match any adverstised price of any store. (You can get their price matching and couponing policy on their website...). So combining price matching with couponing is how I am able to get things at great prices. I check out the ads, make a list of prices on sale items and head to Walmart. If that sale price is cheaper than Walmart's price, I buy it. When I check out, I show the clerk my stack of newspapers & they usually just have me tell them the price...I don't even have to show it.

For example, Ragu spaghetti sauce was recently on sale at Smith's for $.99. I had a coupon for $.50 off one...total price $.49. Ronzoni pasta was on sale for $1--with another coupon, it was $.50 a box. Yes, I can and do often make spaghetti sauce from scratch for my family, but having those items on my storage shelf means I have dinner for a dollar. Colgate toothbrushes were on sale for $1 each at another store, I had a coupon for $.75 off...what a great time to stock up! (But once I have 10-15 for my family of six, that's enough...).

I am having fun...it does take a little bit of time, but nothing near a part-time job or anything! A hour or so of clipping coupons, an hour here & there checking out the ads...and I'm ready to make my list.

I am having fun...it does take a little bit of time, but nothing near a part-time job or anything! A hour or so of clipping coupons, an hour here & there checking out the ads...and I'm ready to make my list.

I too am having fun with it. My kiddos have fun and enjoy helping me find a deal. We only get things we will use and are trying to build up a stockpile (not as big as those on the show by any means, just enough in case of an emergency).

If I every get to much of something I give it to family and friends. I hate to see things go to wasted.

On the show the one that really bugged me was the twins with all the diapers and no children. If you can get them for free, get them and give them to someone that needs them. Imagine blessing a mom with a bunch of diapers. :001_smile:

The ones I really liked on the show was the man and wife that donated a ton of stuff to missions and homeless shelters. :001_smile::001_smile:

Yes. You are making sense to me.

It is similar to what Kohl's does at their checkeout. "You saved $50 today!" And I tell the cashier, not really because I never would have spent what I paid plus the $50. I would have paid way too much.

The sale price is the price I am willing to pay. The regular price doesn't even mean anything to me.

I was checking out at my grocery store yesterday and asked the lady if she sees many of the extreme couponers coming through. After a conversation about that she said that just within the last few days the store is doing a major adjustment on their coupon policy because of the abuse of extremes. It might be viewed as a game by some and I get that, but it also results in companies being forced to drastically change their policies eventually. You might be saving the money but the money comes from somewhere and taking too much of it will dry up the source. You know? 100 things of deodorant has to be paid for by someone even if you got them for free.

I have been a couponer for about 3 years now. In that time I have cut our spending on health and beauty, household, and paper products by at least 90%. I haven't paid for toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, dental floss, shampoo, conditioner, razors, soap, body wash, deodorant, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, and many other things in years. Eliminating those expenses while still getting quality goods, is a huge help on our budget.

Practically all of your post could have been written by me. I just didn't think it was a good idea to quote the whole thing! :D

Like you, I've been doing this for about 3 years, and get almost all of our health and beauty and cleaning items for free. Ds is picky about his toothpaste, so I sometimes have to pay as much as -gasp!- 50 cents for it. Dh likes a specific razor which uses expensive refill cartridges. I stock up on them using sales and coupons so I never have to pay full price.

Florida stores don't double coupons, but a big grocery chain (Publix) allows you to use up to 4 coupons on their buy one get one free sales - 2 store coupons + 2 manufacturers coupons. I can be brand loyal (mayo, mustard, butter, coffee creamer, plastic wrap) and still pay less than the cost of generic.

I was recently able to get name brand pasta for 9 cents a box. I gave a lot to friends and family. I kept a lot for us. And I donated a lot to the food bank. I like being able to donate without financially hurting my own family. And I can get fairly healthy foods to donate by matching sales and coupons. I understand that when you're hungry even junk food is welcome, but why not give healthy food if I can?

Couponing takes me about an hour a week plus shopping, which I don't do every week. Sometimes we live off of our stockpile and all I have to buy is fresh produce (meat is bought on sale an frozen). All of our produce comes from either a local organic produce delivery (run by a homeschool family) or a local produce stand which sells mostly organic. I used to spend $400-$500 a month for just our family of 3 (including household and pet items). Now I spend an average of $350 and prices are higher now than when I first started. That hour a week is more than worth $50 -$150 in savings.

I've never been able to get four hundred dollars worth of stuff for $27.42 or whatever ridiculous amount extreme couponers pay. Instead I look at the most I'll pay for an item, or the unit price, and try to get it for the least amount (even free).

Yes, you're making sense. But if you match the sale and the coupon you're getting it for even less. A later poster said that sales and coupons rarely match, but in my three years of using coupons, I haven't found that to be true. I can almost always find a coupon for the item I want when that item is on sale. That's what it's all about. Your strategy is one I use for items that rarely or never have coupons.

As far as keeping track of rock bottom prices, I love the iShopare app. I keep a record of our most used items, and the best prices this way. Some prices I'm familiar with because of frequent use, but for the rest, the app really helps. I don't think it's available for Android or Windows, but maybe if enough people asked the developers would change that.

:iagree: I think the same way you do. I know, for example, that pork loin goes on sale regularly for $1.99 per pound (regularly about $4 per pound). So on the weeks that it's "on sale" for $2.99 per pound, I don't buy it, because it's not on sale for $1 off; it's actually $1 more than I usually pay.

Thank you for posting the app. I was looking for something like this. I need to look at it more closely.

How long does it take you to enter all those prices?

Dawn

Yes, you're making sense. But if you match the sale and the coupon you're getting it for even less. A later poster said that sales and coupons rarely match, but in my three years of using coupons, I haven't found that to be true. I can almost always find a coupon for the item I want when that item is on sale. That's what it's all about. Your strategy is one I use for items that rarely or never have coupons.

As far as keeping track of rock bottom prices, I love the iShopare app. I keep a record of our most used items, and the best prices this way. Some prices I'm familiar with because of frequent use, but for the rest, the app really helps. I don't think it's available for Android or Windows, but maybe if enough people asked the developers would change that.

Did anyone catch last night's episode?

The show has irritated me, but last night I just got mad. The first lady got something like 142 bottles of hand soap. We have 5 sinks in our house and a hand soap dispenser at each one. I buy the large bottle from Walmart for $3.50 and it lasts about 2-3 YEARS! Seriously, how much hand soap do they need????? And they wiped the shelves, which also infuriates me.

Then the Amber lady was so rude and mean to that poor husband of hers. He seemed to be trying so hard and she would snap at him for no reason. She needs to use some of that savings from her grocery money for therapy. The last time she was on she shared that she cancels social event plans if she finds good shopping deals.......:001_huh:

Dawn

I really hate that show. They show stockpiles of stuff, which is all junk food, or will possibly expire before you can use it all. One lady had scads of diapers and no kids! Zdiapers get all hard and crunchy when they are old!

And the only two people (maybe three) I have ever liked were the christian couple who donated 21000$ of food every year to food pantries and used couponing as their mission and the older lady in Philly who declared "I dont buy it if I don't need it".

I like Bargain Briana bc she has the 10 commandments of couponing and stresses the ethical use and not clearing shelves rule.

I don have an extra 30 hrs a week to coupon. I shop at aldi.

I have watched the show once. It was fascinating to me (although the amount of hoarding is a bit disturbing). However, where I live, none of the grocery stores double coupons anymore, none of them accept coupons printed off the internet, and none of them allow multiple coupons for the same item in the same purchase.

I watch the sales for the items I actually use and buy them when they are at their lowest.

Thank you for posting the app. I was looking for something like this. I need to look at it more closely.

How long does it take you to enter all those prices?

Dawn

I didn't sit down and enter everything. I've just been doing it as I buy something, or when I'm at the grocery store and have some extra time to look at prices. Mostly, I use my receipt and enter a price when I get home.

I actually had the app for about over a month before I started using it. Once I did I was sorry I didn't start sooner. It's really easy to enter items, and easy to look up when I'm checking stuff (you can sort by best price). There are complaints in the reviews about what it can't do, but I just wanted a pricebook on my phone. This app serves that purpose well.

I've been trying to do better with this and I've ordered some books from the library to see if I can take it up a notch from what I've been doing. We need to save more money here. Yesterday, the librarian called about one that I requested online. She said that it wasn't available locally so she tried to get it for me from other places. She started alphabetically through the states and EVERY library seemed to have 100's of requests for this book. It was so popular that they decided to order it for our library, but there was a back-ordered status from the place from which they order. She said to check back in a couple of months or more. They tried all they could think of. I decided that if the book is THAT popular, I would order it myself from Amazon. The reviews are great if anyone wants to research this more....

http://www.amazon.com/Pick-Another-Checkout-Lane-Honey/dp/0984149783