Menu

Question about progressing in "Teach Your Child to Read in 100"

Nart

Background info: It looks like I won't be able to homeschool my 4 year old next school year for kindergarten due to financial reasons. I am determined to have him reading at least at an ending 1st grade level before kindergarten because I really don't like the reading curriculum the school uses (mainly a sight word program mixed in with learning sounds). If I were going to homeschool him next year I wouldn't push him but I feel like I have no option now. He can be stubborn so if he starts learning it one way in school, he will resist doing it another way. He knows all of the sounds of the letters so I started 100 easy lessons one month ago and we do 10 to 15 minutes every day (he does better on a regular schedule so we do lessons every day) and we don't do the writing . I worked through lesson 19 and then went back to re-do lessons 10 to 19 and we just finished lesson 20 today. I like the book and he tolerates it and looks forward to looking at the picture after reading the story. (Ice cream or a trip to the park after reading, a sticker chart, and a small prize after every 10 lessons has worked out well for my squirmy little guy.)

Question: He still has trouble putting the sounds together without pausing so after he reads a word he can't always say the word fast, he sometimes will just guess. He is just getting holding on to the first sound in the word while saying the next sound. He had trouble rhyming so we reviewed lessons 9-19 and he is doing so much better. So do I repeat lessons 10-20 again or do another 10 lessons and go back to review if he still isn't blending without pausing? Anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any advice

my .02:001_smile:

I would put the book away. I would try again on Mar 1(approx). If after 3 weeks he doesn't get it, try on May 1...you get the idea. He might just not be ready and you can't force it if that is the case. If you send him to K and he still isn't reading - don't give up! Keep trying even after school starts. Just because he spends his mornings (or day?) in school doesn't mean you can't spend 15 minutes in the evening teaching him to read. I suspect it won't take that long though.:D Good luck!

Btw, if you search the boards for "blending" you will see this is a very common thing. Many kids who know their letter sounds just don't have blending click right away. About the only thing that seems to work is patience.

Welcome to the boards!

I am still not sure what to do, since someone recommended continuing, someone else said to stop, and someone else said to switch programs. I am leaning toward continuing because I think he is close to really getting blending, since he can sometimes do it and then he smiles. Yesterday he yelled, "I'm getting it!" With other dc is blending well something that develops gradually or did it just "click" one day?

I would also vote for using funnix. It is from the same person that wrote 100 ez. I used 100 ez lessons through about lesson 80, then switched when funnix was free to download at the beginning of the month. I was encountering a LOT of resistance when we switched from the modified font to the regular font. We backtracked quite a bit. My daughter likes her reading lesson now. I like it a lot more too.

I've read quite a few people that didn't really like funnix and they said they prefer literactive or starfall. Funnix is not a game, it's a reading lesson. Of course starfall will be much more fun. But funnix is SO much better than 100 ez, in my opinion.

I am still not sure what to do, since someone recommended continuing, someone else said to stop, and someone else said to switch programs. I am leaning toward continuing because I think he is close to really getting blending, since he can sometimes do it and then he smiles. Yesterday he yelled, "I'm getting it!" With other dc is blending well something that develops gradually or did it just "click" one day?

No consensus = Nature of the hive! :D If you are leaning towards continuing, I'd go with that. I really stressed blending from day 1, which I think helped -- DD#1 actually had a tough time on Dibels (testing) when asked to do "finger stretching" and individual sounds and THEN blend. She just looked at the tester like the tester was strange and read the word slowly [to her, it's not "m"-"a"-"t" but always "mmmmmaaaaat"]. :lol: She never had any trouble decoding sounds to words, btw. Teaching DD#2 now I appreciate more some of the nuances of 100EL. My advice would be to start with some extra practice of reading blended words (maybe from previous lesson) and consider working half speed until dc "gets it". He may just not be totally ready and trying to learn the blending AND progressing in the program may just be a little too much. Sometimes less is more. :)

I also skipped the writing part and never stressed the reading in the head then saying the word part -- I've found when they are ready that is something that just snaps into place.

Even though DD#2 is on lesson 60 and doing great with 100EL I may download Funnix just to check it out or use it as an alternative to repeating lessons, if that seems needed. :) Thanks to the PP for mentioning it! More curriculum to review!!! :lol: