Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week three

I ended up having a lot of time to read lately, so I have finished the last two Austen novels I hadn't read - Persuasion and Northanger Abbey - (which weren't on my list) and our ancient history work for this week - Antigone, Oedipus Rex, and Oedipuis at Colonus - and am working on Edith Hamilton's Mythology, which I haven't read since high school. When that is finished, I have Age of Fable arriving this afternoon and The Portrait of a Lady on my nightstand.

I also read a few chapters in: Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers for myself and A House for My Name, Words of Delight, and Heroes of the City of Man for our ancients studies.

ETA: Just got my trade in credit and ordered Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads, and I will be devouring that as soon as it comes. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will alternate the vision of a world unraveling with that of a world where all problems are solved with a cup of tea.

Given a choice, I'd certainly take the latter over the former!

I'm still reading Jane Eyre and The God Delusion at the same time.

I initially read this as Jane Eyre and the God Delusion and thought that it sounded like an intriguing book.

Regards,

Kareni

So far, I've done The Help and Fahrenheit 451, both of which I LOVED! Now I'm on to Catch-22 and I'm having a little trouble seeing any direction/point to the book... Also working on finishing Deconstructing Penguins. I'm loving this challenge - so many new ideas to read, and lots of motivation to get my reading done :001_smile:

Kathy

DD7

DS5

DTriplets1

Finished Penman's Cruel as the Grave. It was . . . interesting. It didn't become a real page-turner until the last 50 pages or so and I kept thinking of Murder She Wrote or Hardy Boys. But, I enjoyed, figured out the killer from the beginning and look forward to reading more of her.

In Progress:

Where the Indus is Young

Drawing A Likeness (Graves)

Art of Argument (Why oh why did I not read this book before?)

Inner Fish

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

Grave Mistake (Ngaio Marsh)

Bloomability - young adult, nice

Sense and Sensibility - for the umpteenth time

-Nan

Can I just say how jealous I am of everyone's ability (and time) to read all these books? :glare::001_huh::sad:

To me, reading is as necessary as breathing. I willing give up things and make the time to read. I read something interesting the other day on Better Writing Habits website about the 7 top excuses Writers make.

# 1 - I'm too busy to write:

"Most likely you’re making time for non-productive things, like watching TV or surfing the Web. That means you actually
do
have time to write, you’re just not making it a priority
to
write."

Substitute reading for writing. :)

Edited by Mytwoblessings

To me, reading is as necessary as breathing.

Exactly. :iagree:I don't feel like I'm living if I'm not reading. Reading makes me feel alive.

I still have nine kids at home, I manage our farm, dh has a demanding career, but I *have* to make time to read.

I find I am an infinitely better mom and teacher when I'm reading because I have more to talk about with my kids. The time is not just an investment in me; it's an investment in them, too.

! I will alternate the vision of a world unraveling with that of a world where all problems are solved with a cup of tea.

:lol:

Can I just say how jealous I am of everyone's ability (and time) to read all these books? :glare::001_huh::sad:

Well, to that I have to say three things. First, I went for years barely reading any books at all when my dc were younger and I had litle ones, second, I read while waiting for my dc at activites and third, I miss too much sleep reading and have developed a bad habit of leaving the supper dishes until the next day (except those that go into the dishwasher) to take my dc to activities and then come home to put the dc to bed & read (I go to bed earlier now that I have one dc in ps) I need to make some rules and restrict myself to reading only nonfiction during the week, but I haven't done that yet.

I've read: In bed before going to sleep, at the kitchen table while eating my lunch, while in the bath, while in the bathroom, while sitting in a waiting area somewhere waiting for one of my kids to finish one of their extra-curricular activities, while the kids were otherwise occupied with playing, instead of watching TV/being on the computer/doing the laundry (cough) haha...

I agree, there's always time to MAKE time to read! :)

I'm late in posting, as I wasn't sure what I wanted to read, so on Monday evening, I grabbed my Kindle and flipped through the selections looking for something interesting.

I, uh, finished the book last night. :001_huh: I didn't realize it was the first of a series, but it makes sense, considering how it ended. It's a far cry from my usual reading tastes (which I didn't realize until I was well into the book), so I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series. However, I did enjoy the book!

I read Last Light by Terri Blackstock.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Light-Restoration-Terri-Blackstock/dp/0310257670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295454656&sr=8-1

The review copied from Amazon: <<The first book in Blackstock's Restoration series literally begins with a bang: airplanes fall out of the sky in the opening paragraphs, at which point the novel's protagonists and readers become swept up in a stunning set of circumstances, the import of which slowly sink in as the novel briskly moves forward. Unlike the deluge of dramatic depictions of the end times, in which Christians disappear and the world reacts, this story focuses on a natural phenomenon-albeit one that most of the characters believe is a message from God-that profoundly alters human society. Blackstock's main characters, the affluent Bannings, who live in suburban Birmingham, Alabama, initially react to this disaster by putting themselves first, for fear that any other strategy would endanger their lives. Soon, however, challenged by the Sermon on the Mount, they begin reaching out generously to neighbors. Their nascent attempts at a communal approach to life will likely be picked up in future novels in this series. Blackstock's subplots are less compelling than her vision of an Electromagnetic Pulse-damaged world; particularly contrived is the story's murder mystery, which plays out predictably. Still, at its best moments, this novel is in league with first-rate adventure fiction and bodes well for the series to come. >>

I can't believe I read it so fast. I haven't done that in ages. It felt good, though! DH thought I was funny last night reading while cooking dinner.

I'm going to give The Great Gatsby a try now. I read it in high school (many years ago!) and remember *nada* about it.

I'm late in posting, as I wasn't sure what I wanted to read, so on Monday evening, I grabbed my Kindle and flipped through the selections looking for something interesting.

I, uh, finished the book last night. :001_huh: I didn't realize it was the first of a series, but it makes sense, considering how it ended. It's a far cry from my usual reading tastes (which I didn't realize until I was well into the book), so I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series. However, I did enjoy the book!

I read Last Light by Terri Blackstock.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Light-Restoration-Terri-Blackstock/dp/0310257670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295454656&sr=8-1

The review copied from Amazon: <<The first book in Blackstock's Restoration series literally begins with a bang: airplanes fall out of the sky in the opening paragraphs, at which point the novel's protagonists and readers become swept up in a stunning set of circumstances, the import of which slowly sink in as the novel briskly moves forward. Unlike the deluge of dramatic depictions of the end times, in which Christians disappear and the world reacts, this story focuses on a natural phenomenon-albeit one that most of the characters believe is a message from God-that profoundly alters human society. Blackstock's main characters, the affluent Bannings, who live in suburban Birmingham, Alabama, initially react to this disaster by putting themselves first, for fear that any other strategy would endanger their lives. Soon, however, challenged by the Sermon on the Mount, they begin reaching out generously to neighbors. Their nascent attempts at a communal approach to life will likely be picked up in future novels in this series. Blackstock's subplots are less compelling than her vision of an Electromagnetic Pulse-damaged world; particularly contrived is the story's murder mystery, which plays out predictably. Still, at its best moments, this novel is in league with first-rate adventure fiction and bodes well for the series to come. >>

I can't believe I read it so fast. I haven't done that in ages. It felt good, though! DH thought I was funny last night reading while cooking dinner.

I'm going to give The Great Gatsby a try now. I read it in high school (many years ago!) and remember *nada* about it.

I read the entire restoration series. It started out great and makes you think. However, the last book was a major disappointment to me, so I didn't like how she wrapped the whole thing up. Could have gone a completely different way with it. And I wish she had. Ruined it.

Yesterday I finished "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner."

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was a leftover read aloud from 2010 that dd and I hadn't finished. I realized after finishing it that I will probably get all teary eyed when we go to see the movie :glare: I did that with "Prince Caspian" too. Dd and I are working through the Narnia series.

"The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" was a novella. I'm used to reading 500-1000 page books, so the novella was a little hard to love because I wanted more. I already knew the ending but I enjoyed getting there and found myself agreeing with what Stephenie Meyer wrote in her introduction when she said she wished she would have written this character's end slightly differently.

I'm halfway through another book, so maybe I'll finish it by Sunday too.

4. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

2. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

1. Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

I finished Ender's Game last night. I really kind of hated it (review in my blog, of that and all the other books I've read so far). So onward! Now I'm working on Terry Gross' book All I Did Was Ask (transcripts from a bunch of her interviews, with brief commentary on each one) and I'm probably maybe about to start The Irresistible Henry House. I am loving getting library books on my Nook, btw. I almost never checked out real library books for myself, because there's always a wait for newer stuff, and our library doesn't have a very good selection, and I never have time to really look when I'm there with the kids. It's so much easier to be able to do all the browsing and placing holds and whatnot from home. Love it!

...I don't feel like I'm living if I'm not reading. Reading makes me feel alive.

...I *have* to make time to read.

I find I am an infinitely better mom and teacher when I'm reading because I have more to talk about with my kids. The time is not just an investment in me; it's an investment in them, too.

:iagree:

And, as others have posted, I, too, take a book with me everywhere and read as much and as often as I can throughout the day. However, some of the reading you folks do sounds really *heavy* and I am much too tired these days and overwhelmed with life situations to do that kind of concentrating.:glare: But I will reach that point again (I am determined :D). In the meantime, I am about to start my next book - I have finished two this week so far (for a total of five this year) - woohoo!

I read the entire restoration series. It started out great and makes you think. However, the last book was a major disappointment to me, so I didn't like how she wrapped the whole thing up. Could have gone a completely different way with it. And I wish she had. Ruined it.

Huh. I guess I'll reconsider finishing it, then, since it was "good", but not "great". I thought it was going to have more overall realistic survival-type stuff in there, like the book One Second After by William Forstchen. That book made me stop and think, as it dealt with the struggle for food and law & order. It also made me cry, because I could totally imagine the things happening that he wrote about.

As I read Last Light, I kept thinking how 'easy' it seemed that they had food for so long (they planted a garden, really? I guess they had seeds on hand), and how come the swimming pools didn't turn green with algae after not having the pumps running for so long? In the summers here, all it takes is a day without them running, and the pools become biology experiments.) I also thought the characters seemed 'thrown together'--- the 'hicks' out for blood, the scum guy, the stockbroker (who works in D.C. but lives in B'ham??), the lawyer, and doctors all living in the same fancy neighborhood sort of sat wrong with me.

Still.... I enjoyed the overall story. How strange does that sound?

I guess I'll move the series to my 'back burner' as far as reading goes. I'm strangely compelled to finish it, because I feel that I should see how everyone does in the next books, but at the same time.... I just don't know.

I finished Ender's Game last night. I really kind of hated it (review in my blog, of that and all the other books I've read so far). So onward! Now I'm working on Terry Gross' book All I Did Was Ask (transcripts from a bunch of her interviews, with brief commentary on each one) and I'm probably maybe about to start The Irresistible Henry House. I am loving getting library books on my Nook, btw. I almost never checked out real library books for myself, because there's always a wait for newer stuff, and our library doesn't have a very good selection, and I never have time to really look when I'm there with the kids. It's so much easier to be able to do all the browsing and placing holds and whatnot from home. Love it!

How does one go about getting a library book on their nook??

How does one go about getting a library book on their nook??

Your library may have them locally. Mine doesn't, so I sent off for a non-resident card from the Free Library of Philadelphia, which is $15/year. There are a few other libraries that will do non-resident cards through the mail, too, but I think FLP is the cheapest. Once you have a card, you just go online and check them out. Then you need to download Adobe Digital Editions to get them onto the computer and then onto the Nook, but it was really easy to figure out.

Your library may have them locally. Mine doesn't, so I sent off for a non-resident card from the Free Library of Philadelphia, which is $15/year. There are a few other libraries that will do non-resident cards through the mail, too, but I think FLP is the cheapest. Once you have a card, you just go online and check them out. Then you need to download Adobe Digital Editions to get them onto the computer and then onto the Nook, but it was really easy to figure out.

Oooh! That's a good idea!!! Mine doesn't either. How does it work, anyway? Do they have a lot of titles or just a select few or what?

Oooh! That's a good idea!!! Mine doesn't either. How does it work, anyway? Do they have a lot of titles or just a select few or what?

They have around 4000 e-books at the FLP. There's also one in Florida that I'm using that has around that many. I get a lot of ideas for books from NPR's book page and Amazon's best books of the month...and more often than not the books I'm interested in from those are at one or the other of the libraries (though I often have to put it on hold--but then they just e-mail you when it's ready). Then you have 2 or 3 weeks to read it before it magically disappears from your Nook!

After plowing through the President's Daughter series by Ellen Emerson White series the first two weeks, I'm reading my new Laura Bush bio, Spoken From the Heart. She credits Lyric Winick in the acknowlegements with putting her story into words. I think the "voice" of the book is beautiful. Especially when she talks about growing up Midland, her parents, and various heartaches she has experienced. I highly recommend it. I ordered a few more of Ellen Emerson White's oop books for next week - can't wait!

Edited by LNC

They have around 4000 e-books at the FLP. There's also one in Florida that I'm using that has around that many. I get a lot of ideas for books from NPR's book page and Amazon's best books of the month...and more often than not the books I'm interested in from those are at one or the other of the libraries (though I often have to put it on hold--but then they just e-mail you when it's ready). Then you have 2 or 3 weeks to read it before it magically disappears from your Nook!

Thanks so much for this! I just went on the Philadelphia Free Library site and printed out the application and it turns out that if you live ANYWHERE in Pennsylvania AND belong to a library in your own community and are in good standing at that library- you can get a free card from Philadelphia Free Library and don't even have to pay the $15.00 a year! :) So I'm sending in my application in tomorrow's mail.

Edited by NanceXToo

To me, reading is as necessary as breathing. I willing give up things and make the time to read. I read something interesting the other day on Better Writing Habits website about the 7 top excuses Writers make.

# 1 - I'm too busy to write:

"Most likely youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re making time for non-productive things, like watching TV or surfing the Web. That means you actually
do
have time to write, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re just not making it a priority
to
write."

Substitute reading for writing. :)

:blush:

Busted. The forums being down showed me how much time I'm spending online. Time to get off and get back to reading!

Exactly. :iagree:I don't feel like I'm living if I'm not reading. Reading makes me feel alive.

I agree. I am turning off the computer now. :D

I finished God Is Dead by Ron Currie, Jr. the other night. It's a bit of an odd book, about what happens after God, who has taken the form of a mortal, is killed. Review at my blog, along with the books I've been reading to the kids.

Ironically, God Is Dead was stolen on the way back to the library today.

Now I'm reading The High King of Montival by S.M. Stirling, which I want to read since I've read the others in the series, but at the same time don't really want to be reading right now. I'm in the mood for some particular type of book, but I don't know what it is. I'm honestly enjoying the books I'm reading aloud with the kids more than the ones I'm reading for myself. Maybe I need to go poking through the YA section some more.

We're doing Otto of the Silver Hand as our bedtime story at the moment, thanks to the review here that brought to my attention the fact that it's about the middle ages and castles and so forth, which is what we've been reading about in SOTW. DS is enjoying it, and it puts DD1 to sleep in about 3 seconds, which is, in fact, the goal.

I think I'm not going to finish Cutting for Stone. It's just not holding my interest.

In the meantime, I'm still reading & loving The Abyssinian by Jean-Christophe Rufin:

"From Booklist

Rufin's superb first novel, rife with political, religious, and romantic intrigue, has won the Prix Mediterranee and the Prix Goncourt in his native France. With historical fact as a springboard and his own knowledge of medicine and the African continent as resources and inspiration, Rufin introduces Jean-Baptiste Poncet, an apothecary/herbalist working in Cairo, Egypt, in 1699. By virtue of his low birth, Poncet only dreams of marrying fair Alix de Maillet, daughter of the French consul in Cairo. Alix, however, is equally smitten and pledges her love even though the two have not been formally introduced. Offered a chance to increase his social status by attending the ailing negus of Abyssinia (now Ethiopia), Poncet sets off on an adventure that places him squarely in the middle of the conflict between opposing political forces in Egypt and France, and between rival priestly orders, the Jesuits and the Capuchins. While it may take readers a few chapters to acclimate, Rufin soon evokes the same sense of history and wonder as Michelle Jaffe in The Stargazer."

I have also started The Perfect Man by Naeem Murr. I'm enjoying it & have been quickly drawn into the story:

"From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Murr elegantly explores smalltown insularity and secrecy in this Commonwealth Award– winning third novel, following The Boy and The Genius of the Sea. Abandoned by his white father and his absent Indian mother, rejected by his intolerant London relatives, Rajiv Travers, 12 years old in 1954, is sent to stay with his father's other brother, Oliver, who has recently followed the love of his life, romance novelist Ruth, from New York City to tiny Pisgah, Mo. In short order, Oliver commits suicide, and Ruth becomes an uneasy guardian to this curious young boy, who shields himself from pain and prejudice with his quick wit and shrewd impersonations. Peerwise, Raj is quickly taken under the wing of Annie Celli, already a striking beauty, joining a group that also includes Annie's soul mate, the delicate and emotionally fragile Lewis. As the friends grow into young men and women, Annie finds herself torn between her devotion to the increasingly unstable Lewis (who witnessed his younger brother's murder) and her undeniable feelings for Raj. Murr takes a Faulknerian approach to his portrait of Pisgah, peopling it with minor characters whose eccentricities provide local color and shrouded gothic elements—one of which reverberates menacingly. Murr poignantly dramatizes love's capacity to effect change."

I read Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary. Wow, what a tragic, tragic story...

I did, however, find it beautifully written and compelling.

It certainly illustrates how selfishness, greed, vanity, manipulativeness, and a "grass is greener" sentiment, can snowball into catastrophe.

The first time I read Madame Bovary I absolutely loathed it! It is such a depressing story. When I read it the second time I was able to appreciate Flaubert's writing.

Sigh... recopying since I added to last week's thread. Sorry about the unintentional bump!

This week I have finished "The Art of Eating In" by Cathy Erway. It wasn' what I was expecting it to be. Some of the chapters were brutal to get through. I was bored with some of it. But I plugged through.

Also yesterday while down and sick with a stomach bug I started and finished "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See. I really liked this book and couldn't put it down. But the ending was so up in the air... Is there a sequel or a plan for one? Or do all of her books end this way? Definitely did not like the ending.

Okay, I finally finished Wuthering Heights. What a crazy and depressing story. Since I cannot deal with any more depressing I'm not going to read Tess this week. I'm going to read Pygmalion instead. I've seen My Fair Lady a number of times but have never read the play. Hopefully I'll finish it by Sunday and will only be one week behind.

Okay, I finally finished Wuthering Heights. What a crazy and depressing story. Since I cannot deal with any more depressing I'm not going to read Tess this week. I'm going to read Pygmalion instead. I've seen My Fair Lady a number of times but have never read the play. Hopefully I'll finish it by Sunday and will only be one week behind.

Pygmalion isn't quite the same as the movie.

Dh and I have been reading through the NY Times 10 Best Books of 2010. It's our yearly January tradition. We've both loved A Visit From the Goon Squad, dh loved and I liked Freedom. I loved Room, but it could be a bit disturbing. I'm listening to Cleopatra and would recommend it. I loved The Big Short, but it might send your bp through the roof. I started The Emperor of all Maladies and far prefer it to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (but both are worth reading if you can).

I just got The Finkler Question and The Warmth of Other Suns from the library so I've got to get busy this week.

I read a couple of these last December and some this January. I finished Room and started The Emperor of all Maladies this week.

I read "Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua. I couldn't resist after all the hubbub about it.

It was an enjoyable read. I was surprised by how it ended, given what was implied in all the advance publicity. I'm honestly not sure what to think about it, except that now I sure don't feel guilty for anything I make my kids do!

I'm listening to Cleopatra and would recommend it.

I started The Emperor of all Maladies and far prefer it to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (but both are worth reading if you can).

Both books I would like to read. Thanks for posting comments about them! :001_smile:

I'm reading Island of the World by O'Brien. This is a fabulous book.

I finished this just about Midnight, so it counts for week 3 and I'm only one book behind, right?

It is a fabulous book. Maybe the best thing I've ever read. Amazing. Stunning.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)