Menu

Co-op Once/Wee 35 min1.5 miles from Trader Joe's or...20 minutes... with nothing to

Co-op Once a week... 35 minutes from home....1.5 miles from Trader Joe's or.... 20 minutes... with nothing to shop for around there....

So, basically, I'm trying to decide if I'd rather get to shop each week at Trader Joe's..... and drive 35 minutes to the co-op... or drive 20 minutes... with absolutely nothing to shop for after..... (except for farm fresh eggs.. maybe :))

I absolutely LOVE Trader Joe's and there's a new one coming into South Salem... where I have NOTHING to drive for... but if I was driving to co-op each week... that'd be shopping day... at the end...

OR, I could realize I won't be going to Trader Joe's except occasionally... and just drive 20 minutes... to co-op and then come home. (This location is out in the "country")

I'm the one who will basically get to make the decision... along with a few other people... and... well.... I'm just wondering which I'd prefer... Which would you prefer...

There are no weather factors to consider.... And it's from Sept-Apr each year.

:)

Are you choosing a location for a group to meet, or a group?

Will you be dropping off or participating (I was assuming the latter since you said "co-op" and you sound like you intended to shop afterwards.)?

How long will it last, and how old are your kids? I ask this because after co-op, all we want to do is go home. It's exhausting.

Are you already a TJs shopper? We go to an art class that's near TJs and a branch of the library so we use that day as an errand day. If I want to get several things done in the area we leave in the morning and also get lunch out (because I'm too lazy to pack picnics). It's not that it's THAT far from home, but I wouldn't drive the 18 minutes to TJs when there's a mainstream grocery store 5 minutes away.

How long will the co-op be? I'm quite willing to sit and read, or make lists or visit with the other moms during a class or two.

I drive 25 minutes to co-op every other week. One of the things I like about it is that I can do errands before coming home (but nothing like TJ's - sigh).

Would I choose a co-op based solely on location? Hmmm... yes. (Figuring this is a tie-breaker issue.) If I didn't run errands when I was out for co-op it would take me so much more time to do those same errands, as I'd have to go that far anyway. Do I do errands each time? No. But if I need to, it's easy enough.

I drive 40 minutes each way for ds12's band practice each week. Some weeks I do run errands but most weeks I have an entire hour to kill.

Would you normally shop at Trader Joe's every week, or will you be tempted to spend more money there if you are able to drop in weekly? Are both co-ops a good fit activity-wise?

I'm assuming you are choosing where to locate a particular co-op, not choosing between co-ops?

Assuming both locations have the basics (room for kids to play outside, room inside to do the co-op stuff, decent rent or free, etc.), then I'd choose the Trader Joe's one, not just for you but for other co-op moms. I had a co-op like this once and I can't tell you how handy it was. I kept a cooler in the car for frozen stuff. Sometimes I went early so we could pick up snacks/lunch for co-op. It was so nice to be able to know that I would be at TJ's each Tuesday, and plan accordingly. I also didn't feel the urge to "stock up" on strange foods, since I knew I'd be back again the next week. *Anything* that makes a hs mom's life easier is important to consider!

I'm assuming you are choosing where to locate a particular co-op, not choosing between co-ops?

This :) I'm trying to figure out where I should locate our co-op. We have a wide demographic that we serve. Right now, it's closer to me, but we have to move due to growing too big for the church building. It's a Classical Conversations group. This will be our 4th year.... I've mapquested to see where all the families are from... to see if I can keep it central, but it's almost impossible... as "Central" is a pretty big span... and would land directly in the middle of Salem. That would mean "downtown" churches, and I haven't found one willing, big enough, with a place for the children to play. It's a half day+ lunch place for some... some stay all day. You need somewhere to let off steam :)

I already love Trader Joe's... I love the organic for a good price... the jam.... the fruits and veggies.. and really... I don't think I'll justify going over there... just to shop. The town I live in is kinda off on it's own... and I rarely leave.

The people the farthest families will be 50 minutes... because they live 10-15 minutes out farther than me...... Many families would be about that same time as me.... and about what they drive now... just a different direction.

I really love just everyone in our group, and even though I feel like we'll find new families too... I don't want to lose anyone..... :(

Course, if I didn't care about the Challenge program (the older kids) I could have it right down the street from me, probably... at my own church... well.. I think I could..... (dream) but then I'd lose some friends... because they have older kids.... Harder to find Tutors/teachers... and students... for the older grades...

I HATE decisions!!!! I'm always second guessing myself!!