would you expect to lose in, say, a week, if you

-quit dairy

-quit wheat

-quit sugar

-quit red meat

-quit coffee

-began aerobic exercise at least 3x/wk

-took a rx weight-loss pill?

Imagine a person who is nearly 60lb over a healthy weight but could lose up to 80 without being anorexic. (Because I know it varies depending on the amt of weight to lose.)

I know 2-3lb/wk is healthy. Does that still apply in this scenario?

I have no idea. But the weight loss pill would essentially caffeine right, so assuming you don't add a ton of stuff to your coffee, you could keep that. :D

I do know that we quit gluten for seven weeks and lost about 20lbs each. And we really didn't have too much to lose and we changed NOTHING else in our diets.

Of it were me (and the weight is almost me.. more like 50 lbs to lose) I would lose close to 10 or so by sheer starvation :)

Ok, so if you lost less than that, would that suggest that there was something wrong?

Should a person typically lose weight in a steady way--a little bit every day or so--or in chunks--2-3lb over a day or two & then nothing for a week?

I have no idea. But the weight loss pill would essentially caffeine right, so assuming you don't add a ton of stuff to your coffee, you could keep that. :D

I do know that we quit gluten for seven weeks and lost about 20lbs each. And we really didn't have too much to lose and we changed NOTHING else in our diets.

No, I think it's amphetamine. :001_huh:

Well, if the person has kept a balance diet and staying well-hydrated after all that, and is also limiting calorie intake/portion sizes, I'd expect at first a pretty big drop (5-10 lbs.) followed by slower, steady weight loss. That first drop is mostly water weight, usually, and part of a detox phase.

BUT, some people with that dramatic a diet change might go into starvation mode--in which their body is going to hold on to everything it can for as long as it can.

Ok, so if you lost less than that, would that suggest that there was something wrong?

Should a person typically lose weight in a steady way--a little bit every day or so--or in chunks--2-3lb over a day or two & then nothing for a week?

This is how I lose. We're not machines after all (or so I keep telling myself :tongue_smilie:)

-quit dairy

-quit wheat

-quit sugar

-quit red meat

-quit coffee

-began aerobic exercise at least 3x/wk

None of the food changes matter unless you also reduce your total calorie intake, either by limiting the number of calories you eat per day, or by keeping the calories at a maintenance level and upping the burning of calories through exercise.

Food changes can help weight loss through providing fiber to increase the feeling of being full, through regulating blood sugar level so it doesn't swing wildly, through reducing calories by eating leaner foods (the red meat), etc. But if you don't eat (dairy, red meat,sugar) but eat an equivalent number of calories of non-dairy foods, you won't lose any weight.

Ultimately, however, it's the calorie intake that affects weight loss. If your calories in is less than your calories burned, you will lose weight. If not, you won't. It's that simple.

Eat fewer calories, move more. Choose a diet that helps you to keep that up -- higher fiber to feel full, lower sugar to reduce blood sugar swings, less fat (because it has fewer calories), fresh whole foods that you really like that taste good (because then you'll enjoy eating your "diet foods" and will stick with it, plus you'll be getting the nutrition you need). Read labels - it helps.

Edited by askPauline

I lose more than 2-3 pounds a week on a regular basis. I don't know how it comes because I don't weigh everyday.

When I was exercising 6 days a week, I tended to lose 6 pounds a week. When I don't exercise at all, I lose 3 a week. Somewhere in the middle (3 days a week or so) puts me in the 4-5 pound range.

At this point I cannot limit my weightloss to 2-3 pounds a week unless I eat a lot of junk, so I'll go with it. I have a lot more than you to lose, though, so that plays into as well.

If you introduce strenuous exercise the first week of a new diet regimen, you might retain fluid as your body adjusts to the increased demands on your muscles. That can make it look like you aren't really losing, although you likely are burning fat. I would wait another week to see what happens.

I am almost 48 and my metabolism has slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. I'm on the Candida diet (stab me with a fork! It's AWFUL...... but I'm getting used to it) and until my symptoms go away, I've given up coffee, all dairy, alcohol, all sweeteners but stevia, carbs. I'm not going to always do no carbs, just no carbs until I feel the yeast in my digestive tract is gone. I felt IMMEDIATE results with my GI/bowel issues. They went away on day ONE!

I've been on the diet for two weeks and have lost 5 pounds. I started to work out but still need to do this daily. It's hard because my body is detoxing and it's making me very tired so I'm not working at 100%. I think this phase will end quickly. I hope to add carbs, WHOLE ONLY, next month.

My personal advice would be to get rid of the diet pill and increase exercise to a minimum of 5 x per week. 7 would be best. And make sure you're drinking TONS of water. Make sure you're getting tons of healthy nutrition like many fruits and veggies, limit carbs, and make sure the fats are GOOD fats. Right now I'm getting my fats from nuts, seeds and protein. I have an avacado pretty much every night before bed. I have to have the fats because I'm mainly eating greens (with a few other low carb veggies) and protein.

I have read before that losing 1 pound per week is best and it will help to keep the weight off. Dh and I both need to lose 35 pounds (now 30 for me!) and I told him I want to change our eating. I love vegetarian cooking, he loves his meat. We can compromise with that. We've also been watching Indian cooking shows, etc. and ordered new cookbooks to help us on our venture. LOSING weight is easy. KEEPING IT OFF is the hardest part. I want to make sure we're going to maintain our healthy lifestyle and KEEP IT OFF.

I would think that if you are currently eating a lot of the things that you will be cutting out, that your weight loss could be right around 5-7 pounds a week. This is assuming that you would be trading that sugar for fruit, the meat for vegetables, and the coffee for water, not just filling up on gluten free pretzels and sugar free desserts.

A lot of it will also depend on your current metabolism. Mine is incredibly sluggish. When I cut out sugar and was exercising 5x a week, I still didn't lose anything. It took having a mostly fruit and vegetable diet to get anywhere. (Of course I gave up out of frustration :tongue_smilie:)

I would stay far away from any pills though. It just isn't worth it.

I am also a firm believer in slow and steady as well. Sure, it isn't as "fun" but it is a whole lot better. My sister lost a lot of weight rapidly on a diet and has the loose skin to show for it. I think slow weight loss helps (somewhat) you skin to shrink along with you.