Menu

I'm almost afraid to ask after the steak thread, but what does one do with...

fruit paste? I bought some Friday evening to go with our salad, cheese, sourdough bread dinner. It was a new item at our market.

We experimented with eating it on the cheese, on the bread, by itself. It was good any way we tried it, but we have really no idea of how it is "supposed" to be used/eaten.

I am also appalled you would even ask!

LOL, just kidding as well. I haven't ever heard of it. Where in the store did you find it? What's its name?

I found it with the very limited selection of gourmet cheeses that I can purchase here in the land of food heathens.

I found it with the very limited selection of gourmet cheeses that I can purchase here in the land of food heathens.

I live in the "deep south". I bet we can beat your food heathenism there. ;) You don't even want to know how far I would have to drive to shop a high quality grocery store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. We did just get Publix a few months ago, though. I can finally make some of the recipes that other grocery stores around here look at you like you've lost your head while looking for these ingredients. LOL

I live in the "deep south". I bet we can beat your food heathenism there. ;) You don't even want to know how far I would have to drive to shop a high quality grocery store like Whole Foods or Trader Joes. We did just get Publix a few months ago, though. I can finally make some of the recipes that other grocery stores around here look at you like you've lost your head while looking for these ingredients. LOL

Been there, done that. I lived in southwest Georgia for 11 years.

If you don't drive 5 hours to Whole Foods, 6.5 to Trader Joe's (in another state) I've got you beat.

Been there, done that. I lived in southwest Georgia for 11 years.

If you don't drive 5 hours to Whole Foods, 6.5 to Trader Joe's (in another state) I've got you beat.

If you lived in southwest Georgia you would have been extremely close to me. No, you're right. I only have to drive 3 1/2 - 4 hours to those stores. You beat me! :) If only I could convince my family to move to AZ. My (heart) belongs in AZ. lol

Oops! Seriously off topic for what you are asking. So sorry I have no answers for your fruit paste. Sounds good though!

We have it here -- it is excellent with brie -- here is some add'l info to give you ideas:

New Zealand-made fruit pastes have a range of tangy and intense flavors using real fruit and natural ingredients. Rutherford Y Meyer's fruit pastes will freshen and cleanse the palate and are ideal accompaniments to cheese and can be used to make nice fruity sauces as well. They are free from wheat, dairy, fat and cholesterol, but rich in flavor and fiber.

There are 6 lovely varieties available: Quince for mild cheeses, Fig goes well with sheep and goat cheese, Plum a great combination with aged cheddar and gouda, Pear is lovely with blue cheeses, Cherry for Camembert and goat cheeses and Apricot for soft-ripened cheeses, like camembert and brie. But these award winning fruit pastes go well with any combination of cheese. The small tubs only hold 4.2 ounces of the fruit paste, so you can easily have a variety on your cheese board and you will experience that fruit and cheese is a match made in gourmet heaven.

And here is a link that I found for you for more ideas: http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-food/fruit-paste-1000126.aspx

We have it here in WF, Wegman's, Trader Joe's, and Williams-Sonoma and all the chi-chi little shops that love to separate us from our $$$$$$. :glare:

I will put it out with croissants, scones, cornbread (there's a real juxtaposition), shortbread, and anything like that. Truthfully, if you serve it to someone who hasn't had it before, you will look like SUCH a gourmet.

Bon Appetit!:D

ETA: Forgot to include this: the raspberry fruit paste can easily go on a tray or be put out with a dessert thing with chocolates -- raspberry and chocolate have a symbiotic relationship -- they are MADE for each other......and it took me awhile to get over THAT b/c I had thought for most of my life that chocolate and I were made for each other.:001_rolleyes:

Edited by MariannNOVA

Wow, Mariann, you make this sound irresistible.

:blush:

You know, it's like serving mascarpone whipped with honey instead of whipped cream --once you try it, it just becomes a staple.

I was trying to think of something funny like: 'once you try/eat/use paste, you'll never go..........' but I couldn't think of anything.:glare:

I am telling you, people will think you are just SO fabulous in the kitchen!;)

Food heathens! :lol::lol:

I live in Michigan--rural Michigan in the thumb area. I have encountered people (working in the produce department!) who did not know what shallots were. Shallots!

Last time I looked, the aforementioned shallots were in the refrigerated section of produce. Gah! It's a kind of onion people!

Lol, I've never even seen a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, let alone been in one!

Lol, I've never even seen a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, let alone been in one!

fairlakes.jpg This is the one closest to my house -- it is the 'Bloomingdale's' of WFs around here.

TJ does not put up photos of their stores - but we have about a dozen of those around here -- I don't shop in them. I have Wegman's and WF and with the other little speciality shops, I just need to go to TJ.

Just wanted you to see one --(the batteries in my camera are dead or I would hop over to WF and take an IRL photo :D).

We have TJ and Whole Foods within 1.5 - 2 hours (I live near Orlando) and yet the people at my local Publix had never heard of falafel. Food heathens!

Seriously, they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I even talked to the customer service manager and spelled it for her and asked if she could order a few boxes of my favorite mix. Never heard back about it. :glare:

So does anyone have a recipe for falafel that doesn't come from a mix, lol?

:glare:

I will put it out with croissants, scones, cornbread (there's a real juxtaposition), shortbread, and anything like that. Truthfully, if you serve it to someone who hasn't had it before, you will look like SUCH a gourmet.

Bon Appetit!:D

ETA: Forgot to include this: the raspberry fruit paste can easily go on a tray or be put out with a dessert thing with chocolates -- raspberry and chocolate have a symbiotic relationship -- they are MADE for each other......and it took me awhile to get over THAT b/c I had thought for most of my life that chocolate and I were made for each other.:001_rolleyes:

Do you slice and serve? I can't easily spread the stuff I bought. Or maybe you heat it and it softens.