Menu

Foreign language storytime/playgroup

I just need some hive minds to bounce this off of before I even bring it up on my local homeschool mailing list and get myself into more trouble than I know what to do with!

I was thinking of starting a French storytime/playgroup at the library. Since it wouldn't be a for-profit event, it would be free to use the meeting room.

I'm not fluent in French, so I wouldn't be able to lead the entire thing in French, but I regularly read in French to DD, so I know I can get through some books. Then I was thinking of getting a few CDs with childrens songs and reading a book, followed by a song (preferably an action or sing a long song), then another book and song.

Has anyone ever tried to do something like this? (Even an English language storytime!!) I was thinking of opening it up to elementary school kids, since the olders will probably be bored with the types of materials.

Any suggestions? Does this sound completely crazy?

This is te best time to develop foreign language skills so I think it is a great idea. However, the reaosn it is such a great time is because little kids pick up everything aurally. It is therefore essential that you are providing everything with a good accent. CDs etc are great - maybe charge a small fee and try and find a native speaker in the community to pay once a month to do a conversationally based session?

Good luck