Menu

Purchasing Sewing Patterns Online?

I usually get my patterns from Hobby Lobby when they're on sale for $.99. Do you have a HL or a Joann near you?

I've never ordered online but you could probably get patterns via Joann's online shopping.

Would this work for your dd?

Yep, that one is perfect. Unfortunately my local Joann's, Hancock Fabric, and Hobby Lobby only seem to carry it in the smaller size. I went to all 3 looking for it today. This is a "Learn to Sew" project for my DD, so I was thinking it might be perfect. I just hate having to spend full price on a pattern.

Can you lengthen one you already have? Or trace off a skirt she already has? I often make my own patterns using brown paper bags or a roll of the paper they use on the tables at doctors' offices (which is both translucent and strong, plus very very cheap). The Simplicity one is cute but it's just an elastic waist skirt. Pretty easy to draft a pattern based on her measurements, then fit it on her. More empowering, sometimes, than learning to use a pattern. If you're interested, I can give more details as to how you'd go about it.

Other places to get patterns are etsy.com and ebay.com.

You might also want to check out www.patternreview.com to read the reviews on a pattern before you buy it. I can't say enough positive about this site.

Craftster.org is another good place for DIY tutorials.

Sign up at your local Joanne's to get their sales mailers. I never pay more than $2 for a pattern.

Note that costume patterns sometimes give simpler shapes ideal for beginning sewers, that can be used to make everyday clothes.

Edited by askPauline
adding more resources

Why pay for a pattern at all? These instructions are free and easy (although they take more than 5 minutes if you need to hem it conventionally instead of with a serger):

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/5-minute-skirt.html

I also substitute regular elastic at the top instead of fold-over elastic, which can be hard to find. I also don't usually like to cut it on the bias because of a wavy hem, but if you do, be sure to let it hang overnight before you hem it. Have fun with your daughter!

That's the type of thing I had in mind. BUT - really the waist of an elastic waist skirt has to be big enough to go over the hips - hers may not be big enough. So I'd do the top measurement (hips + 2") /2 (allowing a 1/2" seam allowance), and I'd draft it as a quarter circle skirt, so the top and bottom would be curved, and the pattern piece would be essentially 1/8 of a circle. (Figure the radius of a circle with a circumference of (hips + 2") x 4. Since C=2*pi*r, r=(hips+2")x4/6.28 - that's your radius. Now you can draft your 1/8 circle.) Figure out how much you need at the top for the elastic casing - probably about an inch of fold-over. Then figure out how much you need for the hem - probably about 1/2". Figure out the length you want. Then add these three together and draw the skirt accordingly.

This site has way more info than you need, but may be helpful to take a look at, especially the half-circle skirt instructions about half-way down the page.

Edited by askPauline

Thank you for all the links and suggestions. I guess I should have mentioned I have very limited sewing skills myself. I am having her great grandmother teach her this particular skill. She is one of those that only purchases bras and underwear from stores, everything else is handmade. I remembered a second Hobby Lobby and will probably go look there, but if I cannot find it there, I will ask Grandmother to just draw one for her. It will lose some of the "this is how you read/work with a pattern" lesson.

It will lose some of the "this is how you read/work with a pattern" lesson.

Yes, but it will gain so much more! My dd12 sews lots of her own clothes, and she does it by measuring her body and figuring out how to cut the fabric accordingly. An elastic waist skirt is a very simple garment and unless it's very tailored there's no need for a pattern. If your dd learns to make one for herself, she can then make a similar one for a doll or a sibling or a friend or even her mom, all without spending $$ on another pattern for each person's size. Each time, she will learn something about choosing fabric, etc. that will help her be a more accomplished seamstress/designer in the long run.

Basically, for the skirt you're describing, you need two pieces (front and back), you sew them together at the sides, you turn over the top for the elastic, and you hem it.

If you want a pattern, though, see if there is a local quilting store, or even an old-fashioned five-and-dime - they often have patterns.

Oh - and if you're nervous about sewing without a pattern, try making the same skirt for a doll first. Not Barbie, who is impossibly skinny which makes the sewing tricky, but something like an AG doll. The process is exactly the same, but you can use much less fabric. Measure hips, measure waist, plan length, consider seam allowances, waistband fold-over, and hem allowance. Draft your pattern and sew it up. Use a paper towel to draft your pattern; then you can drape it on the doll and make any changes; do the final version using a brown paper bag.

Oh - and if you're nervous about sewing without a pattern, try making the same skirt for a doll first. Not Barbie, who is impossibly skinny which makes the sewing tricky, but something like an AG doll. The process is exactly the same, but you can use much less fabric. Measure hips, measure waist, plan length, consider seam allowances, waistband fold-over, and hem allowance. Draft your pattern and sew it up. Use a paper towel to draft your pattern; then you can drape it on the doll and make any changes; do the final version using a brown paper bag.

Oh this is a great idea. We have all sorts of scraps of fabric. Do you think this would work with a Build A Bear? Do I do the same calculations I have seen on some of the sites?

Oh this is a great idea. We have all sorts of scraps of fabric. Do you think this would work with a Build A Bear? Do I do the same calculations I have seen on some of the sites?

Yep. You mainly need to make sure the waist is big enough (when the elastic is stretched) to go over the hips. If you have a measuring tape, measure the widest part, then just to make sure hold the tape in a circle that big and pull it up over the legs and hips to the waist, to make sure it's big enough. Then add an inch or so just to be sure. (Don't forget to also add an extra 1/2 inch on each side of your pattern for a seam allowance.)

Again - make it with a paper towel and tape first, and try it on; once the pattern more-or-less fits, you can do it in the fabric.

REMEMBER - the goal is not to make the most amazing skirt ever. It is to go through the process and learn how to do it. Your final result may not be perfect, but your dd will love it, and you will both learn a lot from the process. You will be spending valuable time together, and learning together.

EXTRA - if you want, sew one side seam, then sew a fancy line of stitching in contrasting thread (if your machine will do this - try on a scrap first) across the bottom of the skirt (above where the hem line would be), then sew up the other side seam. This will make the skirt a little more decorative and fancy.

THEN - save all your husband's old dress shirts - you can cut them up to make all kinds of doll clothes!