Menu

Could my almost 7yo start Saxon 5/4 if...

UmmiSays

Hi to All,

I'm wanted to know if an almost 7yo could be successful starting Saxon 5/4 if they know all the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts. Really I wanted to know if anyone had done something similar and it worked out ok. I am reading threads where some people post that you learn all the other things from grades 1st thru 3rd in saxon 5/4. We are about to start Mcruffy 3rd and I know that he will go through that in about 4 months like we did the other grade levels. So I figure why not just move on a get started. I know that this a reccommended using the Robinson Curriculum, so any thoughts or experiences doing this?

Thanks,

Candace

The problem with 5/4 isn't the level of the material. A bright 7yo will get it. It's the format. Unless your 7yo is great with handwriting, there is a lot of copying of problems. People get around this by copying the problems for the child.

There are a lot of other things that are learned in the earlier levels. For example, it is extremely important for the student to have a solid understanding of place value. A child who has memorized facts will not necessarily have this understanding.

Now, if you have a child who is gifted in math, I wouldn't use Saxon. Take a look at Singapore instead.

Thanks!

I would say that he has a very solid understanding of all things usually learned in grade k-3rd. He also has good handwriting, so he would be able to handle that aspect. I am very hesitant to use the word "gifted", he is just able to process and apply things well and move on, plus he has a photographic memory so that really helps with recall. I will give Singapore a look, I just had my mind set on Saxon.

Thanks Again,

Candace

Why on earth do you have your heart set on Saxon? For a mathy kid like this, I would say he should absolutely do a more "understanding oriented" program. Singapore or Math Mammoth or some other Asian math.

And, just bc a seven year old has excellent handwriting does not mean that they have the stamina and the ability to line up problems and answers that Saxon demands. That doesn't mean that it's not doable for the kid, but that it's an additional demand.

Ok, I was kinda scared to post cause usually I get the crazy eyes from people in real life when I talk about how we work. I would not say that he is mathy, its just that he gets it and we move on. Now when we do it, we do ALOT of it everyday(7 days a week) in many diffrent ways, so he is able to see how to apply it well. I had settled on Saxon just because he appreciates the format and I know it is a successful program but I will give the other programs a look.

Thanks,

Candace

Edited by UmmiSays

It sounds like a spiral method like Saxon wouldn't be a good fit if he gets it and moves on. You won't really be moving on. You'll be spiraling back to each topic.

Now I haven't used the 5/4 and up series... just the K-3 series, which is a different author, but my son gets things and is ready to move on. The incremental spiral nature of Saxon was starting to kill his love of math. He's much happier with a more mastery approach with review now and then. We use Math Mammoth, but Singapore would have likely worked well also.

My son finished the 1-3rd Saxon books by second grade, and we moved on to 5/4. I did copy some problems for him, but it became clear rather quickly that this wasn't the only problem. The spiral structure was driving him crazy with all the review, and it just wasn't challenging to him. For 3rd we switched to Singapore with the CWP book and were very happy. We did need to add drill work. My son also has the photographic memory, so I like to challenge him with problem solving activities. Just our experience. I'm sure once you take a look at the programs it will be clear which is the best fit for your son.

I started my 10 year old in Algebra 1 when I pulled him out of PS. We struggled a bit and I was encouraged to drop Saxon instead of being taught to tweak it for him. We tried other things, then went back to Saxon.

What worked best for us was to stop doing the tests, which took the pressure off, freed up more time, and got us off the idea that we should be doing 4 lessons and 1 test a week.

Some weeks we did only 2 lessons and added in enrichment and manipulatives. Other weeks we did 5 or 6 lessons.

If you do find out you placed him a little too high, just add in some free worksheets from a worksheet generator, or repeat lessons.

One of the most important things about a curriculum is that the MOM is comfortable teaching with it. It's even more important than the child's learning style. We cannot TEACH with curriculum that isn't easy enough for us to understand and use even on the crazy days when everything is going wrong.

You don't need to defend your decision to use Saxon with a gifted child. Many of us have done it for many different reasons. Good luck! :-)

Edited by Hunter

I started my 10 year old in Algebra 1 when I pulled him out of PS. We struggled a bit and I was encouraged to drop Saxon instead of being taught to tweak it for him. We tried other things, then went back to Saxon.

What worked best for us was to stop doing the tests, which took the pressure off, freed up more time, and got us off the idea that we should be doing 4 lessons and 1 test a week.

Some weeks we did only 2 lessons and added in enrichment and manipulatives. Other weeks we did 5 or 6 lessons.

If you do find out you placed him a little too high, just add in some free worksheets from a worksheet generator, or repeat lessons.

One of the most important things about a curriculum is that the MOM is comfortable teaching with it. It's even more important than the child's learning style. We cannot TEACH with curriculum that isn't easy enough for us to understand and use even on the crazy days when everything is going wrong.

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

:D

You don't need to defend your decision to use Saxon with a gifted child. Many of us have done it for many different reasons. Good luck! :-)

Thanks for this! I was becoming a little disheartened with my choice.

My son finished the 1-3rd Saxon books by second grade, and we moved on to 5/4. I did copy some problems for him, but it became clear rather quickly that this wasn't the only problem. The spiral structure was driving him crazy with all the review, and it just wasn't challenging to him. For 3rd we switched to Singapore with the CWP book and were very happy. We did need to add drill work. My son also has the photographic memory, so I like to challenge him with problem solving activities. Just our experience. I'm sure once you take a look at the programs it will be clear which is the best fit for your son.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I really appreciate that.

Warmest Regards,

Candace

:iagree: Saxon with a 7yo is doable, but might need some adaptation. For example you could slow down and cover 1 lesson over 2 or 3 days. I've done that for some of my older children until they become accustom to the length of the lessons. I love Saxon and it's worked well for all my children. :D

I completely agree with this statement, on every point! Thanks so much for putting into words what many of us Saxon users feel when these threads come up ~ and so succinctly, too. I do so tire of the Saxon-bashing. You absolutely hit the nail on the head with this, though ~ bravo!

Edited by papillon

:iagree:I used 54, 65, and half of 76 with my accelerated child. This semester we have moved on to something else, but we happily used it for two and a half years. If that is what you are comfortable using and what you feel will work right now, then go for it!

You can probably sit with him and do most of the lesson orally. If he knows his 4 operations with whole numbers, most of 54 can probably be done aloud while he runs around. Also- you can get a white board and the problems that he needs to write out let him do them on the white board.

My ds and I appreciated that there were a lot of different kids of problems in a set rather than a page that was full of the same kind of problem.

HTH-

Mandy

I have a math gifted child. We could have begun using Saxon 5/4 in the third grade. She could write, although not neatly, but due to the fact that formal handwriting is not taught in our school district this was the result. We practiced making numbers legible and how to lay out problems on paper first.

I would say go for it. You may find that you need to spend time on a lesson laying more of the foundations, but I do not see a problem. I do not think the approach of the teaching is something to cause concern. Simply, be prepared for those moments when a lesson doesn't catch and take the time to find out why.

I will also say that dd does math by herself with Saxon. I am there/involved very little. If she misses more than three problems on a lesson, she is required to see me. We will be starting Hands-on Equations with Saxon 6/5 soon. Yes, she is almost finished with 5/4. Test grades range from 88 to 100 percent.

to be honest, You are the one knows the best if he is ready. I assume u have the curriculum. and based on how your kids does previously, u are the best judge if he is ready, I personally won't stop because hand writting. If he "mathematically" ready. just go with it..