Menu

I know there are threads, but dd wants an e-reader I haven't a clue dh....

is concerned about having to have it linked to a credit card and then having charges on it. Can you share with me which one is the best deal and how hard is it to download books. I know there are free books out there, our library does have some e-books. Are they worth it? We don't buy a lot of books, but dd reads ALL the time.

Thanks,

Phlox

I have a Nook and hi speed internet. Downloading books is very easy. I usually get books from www.gutenberg.org free classics and out of copyright books. B&N has some free books available, but you have to watch them, some are beyond R rating. I have a CC linked, but haven't bought any books yet. I don't know any way to block the internet on the Nook, so you would have to decide how responsible your dd is.

I have a Kindle that is linked to my Amazon account. I know Amazon sells gift cards that can be used to purchase Kindle books, so that might be a solution for you that would cap the amount that could be spent and wouldn't charge a CC.

It's so incredibly easy to purchase books, whether you do it online or directly from the Kindle itself. I too have a ton of free books. There are thousands of classics available and Amazon regularly runs some books for free for a limited time. You can sign up to all kinds of email lists to keep updated on what is currently free.

HTH

Edited by LemonPie

i am planning to get a kindle, because its my understanding that you can send other books to a kindle, but not kindle books to another reader, and i have a TON of kindle books that i read on my ipod, that i've gotten free. check out this blog for listings of free books when they come out, lots of smut but lots of good ones too

http://blog.booksontheknob.org/

I just got a Nook for my birthday, and I love it. I was very unsure which I wanted - Kindle or Nook - but for me, the Nook's ability to work with the library was a major factor in Nook's favor.

Now - I have to say - I love *books.* I was concerned I was not going to like reading on an e-reader. I had read that it was totally different than reading on the computer - and it is. No eye strain at all. It took all of about 30 minutes, and I was totally in love with my Nook. I have read more in the past few weeks than I have in quite awhile - not sure why that is, but it is.

Downloading books is easy ( I did have to have a credit card on my B&N account, but have pretty much mostly just used gift cards for anything I wanted to buy - but there are SO many free books available, too.) I also love that almost every book has a "free preview" so I can see if it is a book I will like enough to actually buy or not.

Is your DH concerned that your dd will purchase books without your knowledge and consent? I would talk with her and tell her that not buying books on her own is a condition of getting & using the ereader.

I own a Kindle. Purchases are made with a 1-click method, but you can change the payment method on that method. You are not required to register a credit or debit card on that account, but you have to establish the 1-click method with an address. You can link a gift card to the account though. Your dd would be limited in how much she could spend.

There is also a refund policy that allows you to receive a refund on a book within the first 7 days of purchasing.

Kindle lets you download a sample chapter, the first chapter, to see if you're interested in purchasing the rest.

The only thing that annoys me about my Kindle is that it does not have a backlight. It's extremely easy on the eyes to read when there is good light around. However, my room is kind of dark with very low lights so I have to use a book light designed for the Kindle. That is a concern for some people. Then again, not being backlit might discourage children from staying up late at night in a dark room reading. :)

Nook.

Hands Down. Weeks of research. Owned a Kindle first, like the Nook better.

Can buy books from almost anywhere - Just got a book from GoogleBooks for less than on Amazon or Barnes and Noble and it works great. Nook will accomodate PDF, EPub, and some other formats I can't remember (because I never use)

B&N has more free books, and is getting more textbooks that are formatted to the Nook

Nook has extendable memory, and the battery can be replaced by you - without having to send it in to Amazon and pay them to replace it.

The touch screen is cool :)

Nook is constantly updating its software per user requests - free downloads of the new software

Nook can use Kindle Books

Longer battery life

I've said it before on these ereader threads and I'll say it again. Check out the Kobo. After handling the Kindle, Nook, and Kobo, I chose the Kobo. I'm able to get books from the library, which you can't do on Kindle, and it comes with 100 preloaded classics. I can download books wirelessly, but I typically connect it to my laptop as I prefer browsing books there. Easy.

The wifi version is on sale, until January 17th, for only $99!

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_kobowifi

I know it doesn't have the buzz of Nook or Kindle, but I love my Kobo.