Menu

Life of Fred math: what is the correct sequence?

I have a 7th grader who is hating Saxon 8/7 right now. He does fairly well with it, but I am tiring of the daily struggle to get him to do his work. I know that I should just make him do it...but if there is an easier way...I'm all for it. Enter Life of Fred. :D Could somebody tell me the correct sequence of the books? He will hopefully do Fractions and Dec/Percents this year and finish up in the summer or first sem. of 8th grade. Where would he go from there? Thanks in advance. Also...my dd14 is using Sax Alg. 1 right now but I can see how she might like LoF, too. Where would she go after Sax. Alg. 1? We plan to do 4 yrs. of math for high school.

All I can tell you is what we did. In 7th grade my son was also hating Saxon 8/7. We switched to LoF and went through Fractions and Decimals quickly. I then skipped all the pre-algebra books and went directly to Algebra I for 8th grade. Last week he told me he just loves LofF math!:lol:

My oldest started in Beginning Algebra after Saxon not making sense. Then when I was going to follow "Fred's" advice (I think) and do Advanced Algebra, I had 2 math majors telling me to do Geometry first. After Geometry, she started Advanced Algebra and maybe 7 weeks into the school year, she decided to go back to Saxon.

I'm glad we did LoF! It was a good break for her from Saxon. While we were doing Fred, she enjoyed it. I was thinking we would go the rest of high school with Fred. She got to a point that Fred wasn't making sense and asked to switch. I had bought Saxon ahead, so I got that book out and she says she understands now.

My middle dd did fractions and percents and decimals (I don't know all those book names, sorry) and is now doing beginning Algebra. Saxon wasn't making sense to her. We'll see how far up she goes with Fred. I have Fred through Advanced Algebra. And I have Saxon through Calculus. We'll just see.

I think the author originally suggested the standard sequence:

Beg Alg

Geom

Adv Alg

Trig

PreCalc (IGNORE THIS, lol)

Calc

(Stats)

But later changed it to

Beg Alg

Adv Alg

Geom

Trig

PreCalc (IGNORE THIS, lol)

Calc

Personally, I am going with the first sequence. I think there are good arguments for either approach.

ETA: I grayed out the PreCalc which is completely erroneous. LoF uses Adv Alg & Trig as the PreCalc & does not have an additional book.

Edited by StephanieZ

Geometry makes sense for sophomore year as the PSATs have Geometry. I think I'll order the Geometry for dd for next year and the Beg. Algebra for ds after he completes Dec/Percents. Does that make sense? I doubt either child is going in to a math-related field so if they do not get to Calc. in high school that is ok with me (I took Calc and it never did me any good!). Thanks all!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I think the author originally suggested the standard sequence:

Beg Alg

Geom

Adv Alg

Trig

PreCalc

Calc

(Stats)

But later changed it to

Beg Alg

Adv Alg

Geom

Trig

PreCalc

Calc

Personally, I am going with the first sequence. I think there are good arguments for either approach.

None of the books I have list the first sequence and when I asked he was very insistent that the second sequence was better. When I asked the author of AoPS (another program I have and have great respect for the author's opinion) is also firm in his belief that the second sequence is better. Needless to say, I'm doing the second sequence, LOL. My students will have Geometry completed prior to the PSAT in 11th grade so that's not a consideration for me. If it was, I'd most likely do Algebra 2 and Geometry concurrently.

Including the younger books, the sequence is as follows.

- Fractions

- Decimals & Percents

- Pre-Algebra 1

- Pre-Algebra 2

- Beginning Algebra

- Advanced Algebra

- Geometry

- Trig

- Calculus

- Statistics

- Linear Algebra

The only exception he gives is that that Statistics can be done before Calculus.

So, if I go by that sequence, there doesn't seem to be enough "years" for subjects. Ds is now in 7th. He will hopefully complete Fractions, Dec/Percents this year. Then he moves to Pre-Alg 1/Pre-Alg. 2 for 8th? And then Beg. Alg and Adv. Alg for 9th (or 1 in 9th and 2 in 10th?). I'm confused!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
So, if I go by that sequence, there doesn't seem to be enough "years" for subjects. Ds is now in 7th. He will hopefully complete Fractions, Dec/Percents this year. Then he moves to Pre-Alg 1/Pre-Alg. 2 for 8th? And then Beg. Alg and Adv. Alg for 9th (or 1 in 9th and 2 in 10th?). I'm confused!

They don't usually take a full year for the younger books. The Pre-Algebra books could (I think) easily be completed in 1 semester and I think Beginning Algebra could also be done in 1 semester if the student has been through the Pre-Algebra books. The Home Companion for Beginning Algebra has 108 lessons (and I think you can do more than 1 lesson/day if you've been through the Pre-Algebra books, especially in the beginning where there is a lot of review), the HC for Advanced Algebra has 101 lessons, and the HC for Trig has 94 lessons so each of them should be able to be completed in less than 1 semester (I'd consider Trig a 1 semester course). So far it's taking us about 3/4 of a year to get through each Algebra course. Statistics (if you wish to do it) could be done anytime after Beginning Algebra as an elective and most probably don't get to Linear Algebra in High School.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

None of the books I have list the first sequence and when I asked he was very insistent that the second sequence was better. When I asked the author of AoPS (another program I have and have great respect for the author's opinion) is also firm in his belief that the second sequence is better. Needless to say, I'm doing the second sequence, LOL. My students will have Geometry completed prior to the PSAT in 11th grade so that's not a consideration for me. If it was, I'd most likely do Algebra 2 and Geometry concurrently.

Including the younger books, the sequence is as follows.

- Fractions

- Decimals & Percents

- Pre-Algebra 1

- Pre-Algebra 2

- Beginning Algebra

- Advanced Algebra

- Geometry

- Trig

- Calculus

- Statistics

- Linear Algebra

The only exception he gives is that that Statistics can be done before Calculus.

Oops, there is no PreCalc. (Adv Alg & Trig make up that.)

Yes, SS recommends the second sequence now. I am fairly confident that the first sequence was originially on his website, but has since been corrected. It might have been in some of the book's original introductions as well. I might have been hallucinating, who knows.

Personally, I prefer the first sequence, but I have unique needs (very young kids doing advanced math. . . I want them to have the Adv. Alg & Trig right before Calc., as I feel it is more relevant than Geom.) If your child was not going to do Calc, then I think the second (newer, official) sequence is better. For my kids, I prefer the first as I know they will all do Calc & Stats, and I am more than happy to have them refresh Alg1 as needed after Geometry if they forget anything. They have plenty of time. :)

My daughter did Beginning Algebra between the middle of August and the middle of November comfortably. We took time off and picked up Advanced Algebra last week. Before we started I emailed the the author for his rationale behind the sequence. I found it compelling. There are two main reasons - geometry requires a more mature reasoning mind than algebra and much of the mechanics of learning procedures mastered in beginning algebra is recalled in advanced algebra - so he believes taking the advanced algebra right on the back of beginning algebra reinforces the concepts and promotes more success.

One other note, according to the author, each Algebra book can be completed in a semester, Geometry in a year, Trig in a semester and Calculus and Statistics each take one year. So far our experience has found this to be true.

Before we started I emailed the the author for his rationale behind the sequence. I found it compelling. There are two main reasons - geometry requires a more mature reasoning mind than algebra and much of the mechanics of learning procedures mastered in beginning algebra is recalled in advanced algebra - so he believes taking the advanced algebra right on the back of beginning algebra reinforces the concepts and promotes more success.

See, the math majors I talked with make a compelling argument as well. Geometry uses stuff you learned in Beg Alg and Trig relies on stuff you learned in Adv Alg.

I can understand what he's saying about Geometry needs a more mature reasoning mind. DD did need a lot more help with math last year than this year.

They don't usually take a full year for the younger books. The Pre-Algebra books could (I think) easily be completed in 1 semester and I think Beginning Algebra could also be done in 1 semester if the student has been through the Pre-Algebra books. The Home Companion for Beginning Algebra has 108 lessons (and I think you can do more than 1 lesson/day if you've been through the Pre-Algebra books, especially in the beginning where there is a lot of review), the HC for Advanced Algebra has 101 lessons, and the HC for Trig has 94 lessons so each of them should be able to be completed in less than 1 semester (I'd consider Trig a 1 semester course). .

Yes, you can do Beginning Algebra in a semester. My dd's did LOF on their own (visual learners and so we didn't even look at the lessons as he had them. DC are going to need Geometry for the PSAT, and if you do that in your dc's Jr year, it means getting the 2 Algebra and Geometry texts done before Oct of the Jr year. I think this is very doable for most dc.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
See, the math majors I talked with make a compelling argument as well. Geometry uses stuff you learned in Beg Alg and Trig relies on stuff you learned in Adv Alg.

I can understand what he's saying about Geometry needs a more mature reasoning mind. DD did need a lot more help with math last year than this year.

You know, I can see where it would be beneficial to do both Geometry and Advanced Algebra concurrently, spreading them out a bit so the work load isn't increased. If I was using LoF by it'self I might scheduled Advanced Algebra and Geometry together over full calendar year, giving credit for Algebra 2 as a summer course with Geometry being the 2 semester course taken during the school year.

I use LoF with MUS and keep LOF a semester to a year behind MUS so even though we'll be doing Geometry after Algebra 2 we'll be doing LoF Advanced Algebra while we are doing Geometry so they will be receiving plenty of Algebra review. I really love this combo because my children LOVE Dr Demme's teaching and LoF takes what they have learned with MUS and expands on it.

My 7th grade son does LoF, after trying many other programs. He did Fractions and is now on Decimals and Percents. From there I'll probably have him do Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology and Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics. I'll see where he is after those, and decide how we're going to handle the rest of the series.

The thing about this is that, in the LOF case, the author wrote all the books with a specific sequence in mind. I beleive, hopefully correctly:001_smile:, that he set the material up so that one would lead to the next. I do wonder if bouncing from LOF to something else without completing the whole Beginning Algebra, Advanced Algebra, Geometry sequence might be a problem however.

For what it is worth, a good friend of my daughter's private, Benedictine, school also follows the Beginning Algebra, Advanced Algebra, Geometry sequqence - not using LOF.

Edited by Scotia
ETA Italics to the quoted bit