Menu

(Cross-post) Homeschool Book Club (for Kiddos)

Is anyone involved in a book club for homeschool kids? I'm thinking about starting one, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it...

My questions:

Where do you meet? A library? A church meeting room? Someone's home? I'm happy to host it, and the underlying goal of the whole thing is "like-minded friends," so a house might feel more personal -- but then again, would I be comfortable taking my kids to someone's home that I didn't know? Would a neutral location be better?

How do you handle getting books for everyone? Most of what we'd want to be reading wouldn't be carried at the library/wouldn't have enough copies, so people would probably need to order. I'm happy to collect money and order in bulk, but would $10-ish a month for a new book be a deterrent for families. I know there've been times that it would have been a stretch for us.

I'm thinking the families could read the book at home during the month, and then meet up and talk about it. (What did you like best? How is this family like/unlike your family? Those kinds of things.) Perhaps the older children could present something. Then, we'd do a related craft or snack and be able to mingle. Does this sound appealing? Or have I lost my mind again? :tongue_smilie:

Our homeschool group has had a book club for the past three years. We don't meet every month. I think it works out to about 4 times a year. This works out for us so that we don't have to stress about getting the book and getting it read within a month. We meet in church and pay $5 for each meeting.

Each family is responsible for getting their own books, whether they buy it, borrow it or get it from the library. I would think that if you took on the responsibility of buying the books for everyone that would add on even more stress, especially if someone forgot to pay or didn't want a book and you were stuck with an extra one.

Each mother is responsible for an activity, be it a craft, a cooking activity, a literary activity (discussing the literary elements, etc.) Whatever the moms are comfortable in doing, they carry it out.

We enjoy and look forward to book club. Oh, and I forgot, each family takes a turn in picking the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone involved in a book club for homeschool kids?

I just started one last month, FWIW. It consists of about 4 girls who are 9-10 years old.

My questions:

Where do you meet?

We meet in my home. I pick the books, generally classics and award-winners, with the idea of stretching their reading into more difficult and artistic literature. I lead all the discussions.

This was basically a way to get my daughter to read more difficult material, and prepare her for advanced literature as she grows. I am hoping she will be motivated by a social group to discuss and debate with.

How do you handle getting books for everyone?

Since our books are classics and have been published ages ago, there are typically multiple copies available in the library and are available very cheaply used.

I'm thinking the families could read the book at home during the month, and then meet up and talk about it. (What did you like best? How is this family like/unlike your family? Those kinds of things.)

I agree. I am hoping to stimulate debate and discussion in a safe environment.

Perhaps the older children could present something. Then, we'd do a related craft or snack and be able to mingle.

I decided not to do the craft/food thing. I really wanted it to be about the literature. I study the books and prepare discussion questions in advance.

Does this sound appealing? Or have I lost my mind again?

It sounds like fun! I am definitely not a literature-lover by any means. I'm really more of a math/science gal, so I often think I have lost my mind.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

:tongue_smilie: