Menu

I LOVE filet mignon and I LOVE it done. Can't I have it the way I LOVE it????

:iagree::iagree:

Gray meat. Love it. Why does that mean I shouldn't enjoy it as much well-done as those who like it bloody?! Kinda makes me go, :001_huh:

astrid

Edited by astrid

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of when I was pregnant. I was told to eat my meat fully done. It saddened me to have to order my steaks and burgers medium-well. That was as 'done' as I could bear to eat. I prefer my burgers to be cooked medium-well, but I've learned that I have to order it medium in order for it to be cooked med-well.

Huh. Hadn't heard that. Well, I'm still ordering mine medium-rare ;). (And have already, a few times this pg.)

And, at least for me, I had no idea what I was missing eating everything well done. Dh converted me, and I'm never going back :tongue_smilie:. But my mom doesn't care - it's well done all the way, even though she agrees that it probably makes the meat less tender.

Well, would they know that you had changed meats since you asked them how they liked theirs done already?

I have always liked my filet well done. There are only a very few places where I eat filet where I will take it medium. I would have to really trust both the cook and the meat to do that. I really do love filet; it's the only cut of steak I eat, and I really do enjoy it well done, and these folks might, too....

You know when Bill's been sent into shock that someone has suggested a breech of proper protocol :lol: (razors, ties, and now steak)

Don't forget gravy vs. deglazing a pan! :)

I must have missed Bill's Take on Ties. I am assuming it is something like, "A WEYM should know how to tie a proper knot." If that's it, I agree.

I have an aunt that likes her's mooing. In a restaurant she sent her steak back three times. The third time she told the waiter to go kill the cow and barely touch each side to the grill. It came back warm and bloody and she was finally happy.

That reminds me of how my brother likes scrambled eggs. I told him to watch the pan and tell me when they were done as he liked them. I poured the eggs into the warm pan and DB said, "OKnowthey'redone!" as soon as they hit the pan!

That reminds me of how my brother likes scrambled eggs. I told him to watch the pan and tell me when they were done as he liked them. I poured the eggs into the warm pan and DB said, "OKnowthey'redone!" as soon as they hit the pan!

Eww, I prefer well done eggs. Anything less reminds me of eating breakfast from the buffet at Grandy's when I was a child.

There is a cheaper cut of steak that can make a bunch of tastes happy.

I know it as London Broil. It is cut so one end is thicker than the other. It is a tougher piece of meat so I marinade it and pierce it with a fork to tenderize it.

When you grill or broil it, the thicker end is less cooked than the thin end.

It might seem crazy but I'm so tired of feeling offended over this topic in restaurants. I love filets only and only well done. Yes, I like it that way and I love the way it tastes. I've tasted medium well, medium and even medium rare (gag!!!!). I don't like the way it tastes or feels. I like it the way I like it. It's good and I'm tired of people telling me I'm ruining MY steak. If someone changed the menu for disgust of what I was doing to their steak, I would be insulted and pretty furious. It's good and it's what I want. I don't continually tell my closest friend how nauseated and disgusted her rare-to-medium rare steak looks and she doesn't preach to me on how WRONG my method of eating is.

Thank you

P.S. I know it might be odd to be so passionate about cook of meat but it's been a topic since a child. I'm amazed that people think they should tell me what to eat or how. Why does this constantly come up in the steak universe? :)

:iagree: I love a good well-done filet and have been known to send it back. I usually get it butterflied... I didn't realize it was a waste. :tongue_smilie: Anything less totally grosses me out and I just won't eat it. Now THAT'S a waste.

Eww, I prefer well done eggs. Anything less reminds me of eating breakfast from the buffet at Grandy's when I was a child.

My mom orders her eggs "over hard and stepped on" and my aunt (mom's sis) orders her eggs "dead" :lol:.

This year for NYE, I bought a huge filet roast for a great deal. I sliced it into 1" steaks and froze what we didn't use. Now we are having company tomorrow, and I had planned to grill the leftover meat. But when I called to check on dietary restrictions and asked how they liked their meat cooked, she answered that they all take their meat well-done. Personally, I'm more of a medium rare girl myself. Now I'm wondering if I should just go out and buy some burger or chicken to grill instead. These are good friends and will be happy with whatever is served. WWYD?

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't get it.

Just because your guests like their filet mignon cooked differently than you like yours, they are somehow unworthy of a decent cut of meat?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think that's a terrible attitude.

Cat

I would be so very, very offended if I figured out that a hostess switched my meal to hamburger because he/she felt I didn't deserve the fillet based solely on how I would like it cooked. That would be a very sad commentary on how this friend felt about me. Just because I don't want my meat to drip blood on my plate? I get hamburger because of this?!?!?!

Yes, I order my steak well done in a restaurant, because it will still be served pink in the middle. AND YES, you can still tell a fillet mignon from a top round if you eat it well done....

I can not say enough about how offensive this would be!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I would be so very, very offended if I figured out that a hostess switched my meal to hamburger because he/she felt I didn't deserve the fillet based solely on how I would like it cooked. That would be a very sad commentary on how this friend felt about me. Just because I don't want my meat to drip blood on my plate? I get hamburger because of this?!?!?!

Yes, I order my steak well done in a restaurant, because it will still be served pink in the middle. AND YES, you can still tell a fillet mignon from a top round if you eat it well done....

I can not enough how offensive this would be!

:iagree:

Ugh, that's worse than the "dippy eggs" people here like to eat. I like mine medium over easy. The whites have to be done, the yolks can be a little runny, but not raw. If the whites are slimy then I can't eat it.

I don't get it.

Just because your guests like their filet mignon cooked differently than you like yours, they are somehow unworthy of a decent cut of meat?

Cat

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :). :iagree:

Ugh, that's worse than the "dippy eggs" people here like to eat. I like mine medium over easy. The whites have to be done, the yolks can be a little runny, but not raw. If the whites are slimy then I can't eat it.

He was trying to be funny but he likes them very, very wet.

That was the only way he enjoyed them until he got on the fire department. Fire department eggs for breakfast are cooked over medium and everyone eats them that way or you get called a "silver spoon." He actually likes them both ways now.

I don't get it.

Cat

:iagree:I'm gobsmacked at the total disregard for other people's tastes. It is the Mommy Wars or some kind of elitist attitude toward food. It is disgusting.

:iagree:I'm gobsmacked at the total disregard for other people's tastes. It is the Mommy Wars or some kind of elitist attitude toward food. It is disgusting.

*blush* I think I took most people to meaning to be humorous, not offensive. My apologies if anything I said was possibly offensive as well (DH likes his practically burnt...thus why I was teasing; I was thinking mostly of him). I still hold to "fix theirs the way they like it and fix yours the way you like it" theory. Really, is there any reason that it has to be either/or? I don't see any reason to totally change the menu.

I don't get it.

Cat

That's what gets me about this. The thought that you'd be wasting good meat on them. Why can't they be served a good cut of meat? I would view it as a treat (if it was also well done ;) ).

Niles Crane (Frazier's brother): I'll, I'd like a, a petit filet mignon, very lean, not so lean that it lacks flavour, but not so fat that it leaves drippings on the plate. And I don't want it cooked - just lightly seared on either side, pink in the middle; not a true pink, but not a mauve either, something in between, bearing in mind the slightest error either way, and it's ruined.

:lol:

As I mentioned in a prior post in this thread, the real question, in my mind, is whether I can cook the steak well and tasty, and whether they might be offended by my steak which would be less done. Burgers or chicken is easier to cook, with less of a narrow window -- for me, anyway. And I know that some people refuse to cook a filet to well, as prior posters mentioned, too. Even you say that restaurants will serve your "well done" meat with pink in the middle rather than actually cooking it to well -- so I would need to cook the steak more than most chefs feel comfortable cooking it and still having it taste good.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't specifically say that I was going to grill steak. I first asked about lasagna, which she said her kids wouldn't eat. Then I asked if I made beef, how they like it cooked. She said that they always have it well done. I was just throwing out ideas.

I'm not trying to skimp on this meal. I've already bought blackberries to go with the mascarpone cheesecake that I made yesterday and several nice bottles of wine. Not everyday staples in our home. Trust me, our guest will feel special. ;)

PS -- Now I'm thinking salmon filet.

It might seem crazy but I'm so tired of feeling offended over this topic in restaurants. I love filets only and only well done. Yes, I like it that way and I love the way it tastes. I've tasted medium well, medium and even medium rare (gag!!!!). I don't like the way it tastes or feels. I like it the way I like it. It's good and I'm tired of people telling me I'm ruining MY steak. If someone changed the menu for disgust of what I was doing to their steak, I would be insulted and pretty furious. It's good and it's what I want. I don't continually tell my closest friend how nauseated and disgusted her rare-to-medium rare steak looks and she doesn't preach to me on how WRONG my method of eating is.

Thank you

P.S. I know it might be odd to be so passionate about cook of meat but it's been a topic since a child. I'm amazed that people think they should tell me what to eat or how. Why does this constantly come up in the steak universe? :)

A-frickin'-men.

astrid

That's what gets me about this. The thought that you'd be wasting good meat on them. Why can't they be served a good cut of meat? I would view it as a treat (if it was also well done ;) ).

I have never cooked a steak well done. Never. I don't know whether I'm up to the culinary task of timing a lean steak to be cooked with no pink that's still tender and juicy. I don't want my guests to have to avert their eyes, as another poster mentioned, because of the dislike of seeing blood on my plate. And I don't know whether there are any religious issues with this. It's not about "wasting good meat on them" -- rather, I want to serve something yummy and have a good time. That's what entertaining is all about, right?

As I mentioned in a prior post in this thread, the real question, in my mind, is whether I can cook the steak well and tasty, and whether they might be offended by my steak which would be less done. Burgers or chicken is easier to cook, with less of a narrow window -- for me, anyway. And I know that some people refuse to cook a filet to well, as prior posters mentioned, too. Even you say that restaurants will serve your "well done" meat with pink in the middle rather than actually cooking it to well -- so I would need to cook the steak more than most chefs feel comfortable cooking it and still having it taste good.

(or ask them how much pink is okay. They may be expecting a pink center, if that is how restaurants usually serve it in your area.)

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't specifically say that I was going to grill steak. I first asked about lasagna, which she said her kids wouldn't eat. Then I asked if I made beef, how they like it cooked. She said that they always have it well done. I was just throwing out ideas.

I'm not trying to skimp on this meal. I've already bought blackberries to go with the mascarpone cheesecake that I made yesterday and several nice bottles of wine. Not everyday staples in our home. Trust me, our guest will feel special. ;)

I don't think that your original question makes this clear. "would you purposefully grill a filet mignon to well-done?" Your question is about the person grilling the meat preferences, not the guest's. It doesn't say "could I do this and have it turn out" or "if you eat your meat well done does it bother you to watch someone eat it rare".....The question implies that you are asking people if they would do it on purpose. Subsequently, you ask if you should just switch it to hamburger or chicken.... presumably do to the chef's preference....again, not the guest's preference.

Niles Crane (Frazier's brother): I'll, I'd like a, a petit filet mignon, very lean, not so lean that it lacks flavour, but not so fat that it leaves drippings on the plate. And I don't want it cooked - just lightly seared on either side, pink in the middle; not a true pink, but not a mauve either, something in between, bearing in mind the slightest error either way, and it's ruined.

:lol:

Ha! That's just how I feel right now!! :tongue_smilie:

I have never cooked a steak well done. Never. I don't know whether I'm up to the culinary task of timing a lean steak to be cooked with no pink that's still tender and juicy. I don't want my guests to have to avert their eyes, as another poster mentioned, because of the dislike of seeing blood on my plate. And I don't know whether there are any religious issues with this. It's not about "wasting good meat on them" -- rather, I want to serve something yummy and have a good time. That's what entertaining is all about, right?

A meat thermometer takes care of this problem for you. You can just temp the steaks for the doness each person would like with a meat thermometer. You can get a cheap one or borrow one from a friend if you don't have one already. I am sure you can Google a steak temp chart.

It sounds to me like you ARE trying to go the extra mile with these guests and honestly I would make chicken. It's just easier that way. You'll do it well, no one will get offended about how the other one eats their steak. ;)

Edited by Heather in NC

I'm not sure why you would choose to not serve it based on how they want it cooked. Although you would think it was yuck, if they like it that way and they eat it, isn't that why you're serving it to them? So they'll enjoy dinner?

I LOVE filet mignon and I LOVE it done. Can't I have it the way I LOVE it????

I can only eat meat well done. Super well done. Charred, really.

Edited by SilverMoonlight

I never thought for a second that you would have thought it would be a waste. I wouldn't know exactly how to cook a steak to well done without burning it on the outside, so that's why I'd choose a meat that I've cooked through previously, like a skirt steak for fajitas, or even a slow cooked pot roast, or a brisket (I love a good char on a brisket). Or burgers. Obviously it can be done, but I'd go with easy rather than stressing about it.

At my house, we do everything we possibly can to be hospitable to our guests due to cultural/family background and dh's current and my former line of work. I love my friends and family and go out of my way to take good care of them when they come over and serve them things they enjoy, and we are happy to spend $ to do so. As the host, I can also make the decision not to serve beef tenderloin in a way that, yes, I do feel is totally wasteful. It is no statement on the worthiness of my guests, and I would choose to prepare something different for them and save the filets for another time. If you love your filet well-done, then by all means order it that way in restaurants (I know from our many many friends who work in the kitchen what they think of those orders) or prepare it that way at your home. And, the few friends and family who enjoy that cut of meat well-done know they won't get it that way at our house and why, and they also know we love them and cherish them and it doesn't stop them from coming over!

Flank steak is a good alternative for these situations--the end pieces for those who like it well done, the center for those don't.

This reminds me of when I was pregnant. I was told to eat my meat fully done. It saddened me to have to order my steaks and burgers medium-well. That was as 'done' as I could bear to eat. I prefer my burgers to be cooked medium-well, but I've learned that I have to order it medium in order for it to be cooked med-well.

I've always understood that precaution to only apply to ground meat. With whole cuts, any surface bacteria is killed with the searing. With ground meat, surface bacteria is spread throughout the patty (or whatever). So I took my filet medium, even while pregnant :D

And now I want a steak. . .

At my house, we do everything we possibly can to be hospitable to our guests due to cultural/family background and dh's current and my former line of work. I love my friends and family and go out of my way to take good care of them when they come over and serve them things they enjoy, and we are happy to spend $ to do so. As the host, I can also make the decision not to serve beef tenderloin in a way that, yes, I do feel is totally wasteful. It is no statement on the worthiness of my guests, and I would choose to prepare something different for them and save the filets for another time. If you love your filet well-done, then by all means order it that way in restaurants (I know from our many many friends who work in the kitchen what they think of those orders) or prepare it that way at your home. And, the few friends and family who enjoy that cut of meat well-done know they won't get it that way at our house and why, and they also know we love them and cherish them and it doesn't stop them from coming over!

Flank steak is a good alternative for these situations--the end pieces for those who like it well done, the center for those don't.

I can't fathom why someone would ruin a perfect piece of meat by overcooking it, but by all means, if that's what floats your boat, do it on our own dime.

I have an aunt that likes her's mooing. In a restaurant she sent her steak back three times. The third time she told the waiter to go kill the cow and barely touch each side to the grill. It came back warm and bloody and she was finally happy.

YES! This is how we describe the perfect steak at our house.

No, I would not waste filet by cooking it well done, and would buy a different cut of meat.

:iagree: It is a waste of excellent meat to cook it well-done. I would go with a roast instead and cook that to medium rare. The outer slices will be well done for your guests and the rest will be edible.

Thanks, I needed that. I've decided to grill a salmon filet and chicken for the kids. I'll save the steak for another time. Perhaps if it were warm and we were all outside, the husbands could cook the steaks for everyone, each to his family's own preferences. But not in the dark in 20 degree weather, even if the porch is covered and there's a light.

Really, I can't believe how much I've stressed about this meal. I just want to get it right. Now I need to go and straighten up the house. ;)

I'm gobsmacked at the total disregard for other people's tastes. It is the Mommy Wars or some kind of elitist attitude toward food. It is disgusting.

I'm not surprised in the least. This isn't the first or last thread we'll see where people show how much superior they are over others based on opinion. But like me, we're all allowed to call them like we see them. I feel sorry for those "friends". They've been invited to someone's home and the menu might be chosen on the cheap side because the family isn't couth enough to know the "proper" way to eat a steak. I'd be absolutely mortified if I was that family and that I was treated that way. I personally would want to have nothing to do with the hosts ever again. Honestly. I see it as rather embarrassing and humiliating. Hopefully that "friend" does not frequent these boards!

I would hope your many many friends working in the kitchen would think, "Isn't it great that we have customers!!!"

:tongue_smilie:

I don't think I am superior to anyone else based on how they like their steak cooked! But my husband makes his living in the food and beverage business, good food prepared well is a significant part of our lives, and I don't feel the least bit like a bad hostess for not cooking a filet well done! Everyone likes different things, that is fine--but if you want your filet well done don't come to my house...it is actually a pretty easy problem to solve. I just don't serve steak to guests who aren't close friends. And...it has nothing to do with being cheap. We have never been accused of that by any of our guests, and are very generous hosts. The close friends who *do* prefer meat well-done know that we won't be having filet, they know why, and I have never ever lost a friend over it. I personally can't imagine being offended by what a host was choosing to serve me for dinner, when they obviously cared enough ahead of time to ask for preferences, and went to all of the effort to cook and clean etc. etc. I would be thankful to be invited to a friends house for a meal and would eat (or pretend to eat) whatever they served with a smile on my face. (I do wish my friend who couldn't stand cilantro had told me that long before he did though...poor guy.)

Not for myself, but for my husband YES! He cannot stand meat that is not well-done (or as I like to call it "cooked to a second death:D) Different strokes for different folks, you know. It can take a VERY long time to get a thick steak done to his liking. I would rather serve something to someone that they are going to enjoy instead of cooking it MY way and them not liking it.