Menu

This year for NYE, I bought a huge filet roast for a great deal. I sliced it into 1" steaks and froze what we didn't use. Now we are having company tomorrow, and I had planned to grill the leftover meat. But when I called to check on dietary restrictions and asked how they liked their meat cooked, she answered that they all take their meat well-done. Personally, I'm more of a medium rare girl myself. Now I'm wondering if I should just go out and buy some burger or chicken to grill instead. These are good friends and will be happy with whatever is served. WWYD?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh...yeah.

I'd cook it however my guests like it.

(I was invited to a cookout once along with another woman and the hostess told me we'd be having steak. The other guest later cancelled and when I got to the cookout we had hotdogs. I thought nothing of it. I actually hadn't even remembered the steak part until the hostess TOLD me that she was saving the steak for when the guest who cancelled would be coming for dinner on another night.)

This year for NYE, I bought a huge filet roast for a great deal. I sliced it into 1" steaks and froze what we didn't use. Now we are having company tomorrow, and I had planned to grill the leftover meat. But when I called to check on dietary restrictions and asked how they liked their meat cooked, she answered that they all take their meat well-done. Personally, I'm more of a medium rare girl myself. Now I'm wondering if I should just go out and buy some burger or chicken to grill instead. These are good friends and will be happy with whatever is served. WWYD?

Did you specify what kind of meat it was? I don't know that I could grill a filet to well done without crying. I'd probably buy skirt steak and make fajitas.

Yeah, dh and his family would see grilling filet mignon or another good piece of meat to well-done to practically be sacrilege :tongue_smilie:. But dh did grill a rib-eye well-done for my mom b/c that's how she wanted it, and rib-eyes were what *he* wanted for his birthday. I guess it depends how much you want to have filet mignon for that meal versus how much it feels like ruining the meat to grill it well done. Since they would be happy with burgers or chicken or whatnot, I see no problem with serving that instead, if you'd rather.

Did you specify what kind of meat it was? I don't know that I could grill a filet to well done without crying. I'd probably buy skirt steak and make fajitas.

:iagree: It would make me sad to do that to such a fine cut of meat. But if you already told them steak, then serve the steak and try to only cry on the inside. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't specify what I was going to make, and I never mentioned that steak might be an option. I simply asked that if we had beef, how they like it cooked. I also suggested lasagna, which was vetoed. The family is Turkish, the kids are picky eaters, and they all tend to be meat and potatoes eaters. I love to cook, but for some reason, this meal is stumping me. At least dessert is done -- a mascarpone cheesecake that smells divine. ;)

Interesting takes, thanks for your input. At first, I thought I was a loner in my perspective about "good" steak.

I LOVE filet mignon and I LOVE it done. Can't I have it the way I LOVE it????

:svengo:

My husband tricked me into eating bloody steak when we were dating. He took me to a dark romantic steak house in downtown Austin. I ordered chicken fried steak. Because that was the only way I'd ever had it. He kept giving me bites of his and I couldn't see it because it was so dark in there. I liked it. He didn't tell me until we'd left what medium meant.

As I've gotten older, I lean towards medium rare.

We were at a restaurant once with my mom for her birthday. SHe ordered filet mignon well done. The chef came out of the kitchen and practically scolded her! He refused to cook it well done... it was the principle of thing to him I guess.

On the one hand people should get to eat their steaks how they like it (even if I think it would taste like an old shoe...I am a medium rare girl myself). But cooking a filet mignon well done is ruining it... it's like serving chicken burned to a crisp...and I can see you not wanting to ruin an expensive piece of meat.

But in the end, this person is a guest and deserves your hospitality. So serve the burned shoe leather according to their specifications and try not to stare open-mouthed as they eat it. :tongue_smilie:

Cook some how your guests like it and a few for how you like it.

(I'm a medium rare person ;) )

I would serve it they way they want. I went to a cook-out one time and the hamburgers were served rare. My husband thought they were still mooing. :)

My concern was that there were several pregnant women there. I didn't eat any meat, and we stopped at McD's on the way home cuz I was famished!!

Yes.

FWIW, I'm one of those people that can only eat steak in a well-done state. I love the taste of steak, but the texture of anything less than well done (as well as the faint difference in smell) makes me gag. I have been this way for forever, even as a child. I always, always, always get the "oh, you're ruining the meat" and the person grilling (unless they know me very well - parents, siblings, DH) go on and on and on. As a teen I got so sick of it that I tried to eat it grilled to medium just to get the host to shut up about it. I took one bite and ended up throwing up repeatedly for the next twenty minutes in his bathroom.

Now, if I go anywhere besides a restaurant, I don't bother to eat the steak. I just go vegetarian-ish for the evening. I love steak but its not worth listening to someone complain for the rest of the evening because they don't approve of how I want to eat my food.

(I'm not bitter about this... I don't know what you're talking about:lol:)

Whew! Glad to know I'm not the only one even if I'm in the minority.

If I have guests over, I assume they are my friends, and I want my friends to enjoy themselves. I put much effort into cooking for friends and family. Sharing a meal with friends is the about the best it gets. If you, my guest, want your meat bloody in the middle, I will serve it to you bloody and with a smile. (I probably won't watch you eat it, though...) But I will be happy because you're happy.

Life is short. If you like your meat rare, eat it rare. If you like it well done, eat it well done. Enjoy yourselves.

Can you tell I've had a problem getting meat the way I like it????

Now, if I go anywhere besides a restaurant, I don't bother to eat the steak. I just go vegetarian-ish for the evening. I love steak but its not worth listening to someone complain for the rest of the evening because they don't approve of how I want to eat my food.

My aunt likes her steak very well done. When she's in a restaurant, she'll order it well done. When it arrives, she'll check it and then send it back with instructions to burn it. :001_smile:

My aunt likes her steak very well done. When she's in a restaurant, she'll order it well done. When it arrives, she'll check it and then send it back with instructions to burn it. :001_smile:

My mom likes her steaks the same way - *very* well done. One time she ordered a steak, and when it came the server apologized that it had been over done and said they'd bring her another one. Mom said, no, no, I'll take it - and said it's the *only* time she's ever had a restaurant get the steak how she likes it ;).

Whew! Glad to know I'm not the only one even if I'm in the minority.

If I have guests over, I assume they are my friends, and I want my friends to enjoy themselves. I put much effort into cooking for friends and family. Sharing a meal with friends is the about the best it gets. If you, my guest, want your meat bloody in the middle, I will serve it to you bloody and with a smile. (I probably won't watch you eat it, though...) But I will be happy because you're happy.

Life is short. If you like your meat rare, eat it rare. If you like it well done, eat it well done. Enjoy yourselves.

Can you tell I've had a problem getting meat the way I like it????

Emphasis above is mine. If I knew that I could cook the steak well, and it would still be good, I would definitely serve that for dinner. The flip side is that I don't want to offend them if mine still has some moo in it.

If you really want to serve the steak, I would wait until they get there, tell them you are having filet and ask how they liked it cooked. Since they don't know what you are making, that may be why they said well done. They don't know the cut of beef you might make and some are better well done (not to mention safer). A truly good cut of steak, like filet, they may want it medium or even rare. Just be prepared if they still say well done. :001_smile:

I have an aunt that likes her's mooing. In a restaurant she sent her steak back three times. The third time she told the waiter to go kill the cow and barely touch each side to the grill. It came back warm and bloody and she was finally happy.

Now there is a woman of taste! :D

Bill

I have an aunt that likes her's mooing. In a restaurant she sent her steak back three times. The third time she told the waiter to go kill the cow and barely touch each side to the grill. It came back warm and bloody and she was finally happy.

This is dh. And my grandfather. 30 seconds on each side to sear the outside is all they want. I like mine rare, but not that rare.

If you really want to serve the steak, I would wait until they get there, tell them you are having filet and ask how they liked it cooked. Since they don't know what you are making, that may be why they said well done. They don't know the cut of beef you might make and some are better well done (not to mention safer). A truly good cut of steak, like filet, they may want it medium or even rare. Just be prepared if they still say well done. :001_smile:

No, I'm pretty sure that it's always well done.

Actually, that's how I grew up. I didn't realize that meat could be cooked another way than on the stove simmering for a couple of hours. When I was a teen I experimented with medium for steak and as a grown up finally settled on med rare.

Emphasis above is mine. If I knew that I could cook the steak well, and it would still be good, I would definitely serve that for dinner. The flip side is that I don't want to offend them if mine still has some moo in it.

It really wouldn't offend me. I would want you to enjoy your meat as much as I enjoy mine. Oh, I would never make a big deal out of it. I very well might avert my eyes if it was too rare but never in a way that the other person knew. That's my problem! ;) I like everyone to enjoy their food.

It might seem crazy but I'm so tired of feeling offended over this topic in restaurants. I love filets only and only well done. Yes, I like it that way and I love the way it tastes. I've tasted medium well, medium and even medium rare (gag!!!!). I don't like the way it tastes or feels. I like it the way I like it. It's good and I'm tired of people telling me I'm ruining MY steak. If someone changed the menu for disgust of what I was doing to their steak, I would be insulted and pretty furious. It's good and it's what I want. I don't continually tell my closest friend how nauseated and disgusted her rare-to-medium rare steak looks and she doesn't preach to me on how WRONG my method of eating is.

Thank you

P.S. I know it might be odd to be so passionate about cook of meat but it's been a topic since a child. I'm amazed that people think they should tell me what to eat or how. Why does this constantly come up in the steak universe? :)

when we grill, our guests tell us how they want their meat. We have a friend who wants his rather rare, some want it medium, and if somebody wanted well done, we would just leave theirs on for a bit longer. With grilling, that's so easy. You can still have yours the way YOU like it.

Yep. Some go on a little sooner, some a little later, we grill each to the tastes of the person who is eating it- that doesn't affect how we like ours.