Menu

Did you know the Social Security withholding rate is dropping for this year?

Yep... saw it in a paycheck already. Personally think it was a dumb decision but know that it was all about getting both sides to agree to the tax bill. Our social security coffers can not afford this one year payroll cut. Thankfully, it is only for one year.

What the heck??? Why would they do that? This must be the year of "let's stick it to the small business owners".

We really need someone who understands economics to grab the reins of Congress.....

:banghead:

As a small business owner, I don't feel like anyone is sticking it to me. My SS contribution is no greater than it was last year.

I am not in favor of reducing income into the government because of the general financial mess our federal government is in, but if they are determined to reduce contributions, I'm glad it was the employee's contribution that was reduced instead of ours.

The extra math work is an irritation, but it's probably good for me. :tongue_smilie:

Nothing the government does makes sense....NOTHING! Social Security is bankrupt in 2015 when a massive number of baby boomers retire that year. But, we'll LOWER contributions and especially for the last few working years these boomers have left to contribute to their own retirement. Yep, that just makes soooooooo much sense.

Of course, it would be just like the administration to then lower the rate to the employee but not equally to the employer. Yep, that makes sense too! (insert massive sarcasm)

Faith

Nothing the government does makes sense....NOTHING! Social Security is bankrupt in 2015 when a massive number of baby boomers retire that year. But, we'll LOWER contributions and especially for the last few working years these boomers have left to contribute to their own retirement. Yep, that just makes soooooooo much sense.

Of course, it would be just like the administration to then lower the rate to the employee but not equally to the employer. Yep, that makes sense too! (insert massive sarcasm)

Faith

:iagree:

They need to raise the age to 65 and get rid of the early option all together.

As a small business owner, I don't feel like anyone is sticking it to me. My SS contribution is no greater than it was last year.

I am not in favor of reducing income into the government because of the general financial mess our federal government is in, but if they are determined to reduce contributions, I'm glad it was the employee's contribution that was reduced instead of ours.

The extra math work is an irritation, but it's probably good for me. :tongue_smilie:

I am not trying to smarmily nitpick...I mean this in the spirit of kindly discussion.

The SS money isn't technically "available" to the government so reducing the amount won't help overall financial mess anyway. RIght?

I am not trying to smarmily nitpick...I mean this in the spirit of kindly discussion.

The SS money isn't technically "available" to the government so reducing the amount won't help overall financial mess anyway. RIght?

It's my understanding that there isn't enough in the SS fund to pay for the baby boomers' retirement, so in order to meet the SS commitments, we'll need to borrow the money from elsewhere in the federal budget.

I'd be delighted to be wrong about this. Is it your understanding that there is enough in the SS fund to pay our current and upcoming commitments?

It's my understanding that there isn't enough in the SS fund to pay for the baby boomers' retirement, so in order to meet the SS commitments, we'll need to borrow the money from elsewhere in the federal budget.

I'd be delighted to be wrong about this. Is it your understanding that there is enough in the SS fund to pay our current and upcoming commitments?

I gotta run but I thought there was enough money NOW but there wouldn't be in a few years.

:confused:

TTYL!