Menu

Music Teacher: what to look for...

Option 1: a 7 minute drive with plenty of parking, possibility of some day lessons when she can find a sitter, otherwise evening classes. Very flexible as to make-up lessons, etc. $17/half hour, $30 for an hour. Holds a BA in music, 10 yrs experience teaching, has appeared in several symphonies. A google brings up only 1 university symphony reference and 3 ads she posted for free.

Option 2: a 20 minute drive, parking meter parking. Semi-firm time on classes due to her very busy touring schedule. She books lessons for 2 days a week so she can travel the other days, however, there may be some days she must reschedule. $25/half hour class. Holds a BA and Masters in said instrument. Been in many symphonies and orchestras across Canada, the US and Europe. Has several CDs out. A google brings up hundreds of references, most from music performances or interviews.

So, which would you go for? Is this a case of you get what you pay for? FWIW, this is for a beginning music student.

I would consider them both adequately qualified for a beginner student. I would go by their personality and how they interact with my child. Beyond that, I think the first one would be more convenient.

ETA: I really don't think the first one is lacking in qualifications. Didn't want to leave it as " she's adequate.". The fact that the 2nd one is so busy would be a bigger worry.

Option 1: a 7 minute drive with plenty of parking, possibility of some day lessons when she can find a sitter, otherwise evening classes. Very flexible as to make-up lessons, etc. $17/half hour, $30 for an hour. Holds a BA in music, 10 yrs experience teaching, has appeared in several symphonies. A google brings up only 1 university symphony reference and 3 ads she posted for free.

Option 2: a 20 minute drive, parking meter parking. Semi-firm time on classes due to her very busy touring schedule. She books lessons for 2 days a week so she can travel the other days, however, there may be some days she must reschedule. $25/half hour class. Holds a BA and Masters in said instrument. Been in many symphonies and orchestras across Canada, the US and Europe. Has several CDs out. A google brings up hundreds of references, most from music performances or interviews.

I'm a degreed music teacher. They both sound good.

I would absolutely not pick a music teacher unless you have had a consultation/free lesson/interview (you interviewing them) with each of them and seeing who you and your child is more comfortable with.

I would also consider calling a couple of their students and asking them a few things.

Good luck! Choosing the right teacher for your family is SO important!