Menu

Re-introducing veggies to picky eaters

We have recovering picky eaters. We have made tremendous progress, considering that they were all picky in different areas. One DD still has texture issues, but surprisingly, she seems to be outgrowing it. I started out offering asparagus, roasted and seasoned. They went from taking one bite (that's all I require them to eat when trying new foods) to only eating the top of two to three spears, to fighting over who got more. They love it now. I'm looking for a new veggie. I'm thinking green beans. DH made some recently. He steamed them, then sauted them, but they were still too hard to eat. Do you have a kid friendly recipe for green beans (not in a can)? My kids love spicy food, so cayenne or chili powder is not a problem for them. Also, are there any other veggies you'd recommend?

ETA: They also like other vegetables, such as carrots, salad greens (with or without dresssing), spinach, celery, etc. They eat all these raw. If you have any yummy cooked recipes, I'd love to try them. Thanks.

Edited by extendedforecast

I'm thinking green beans. DH made some recently. He steamed them, then sauted them, but they were still too hard to eat.

When you say "too hard to eat" do you mean they were not soft enough? I grew up eating canned green beans (both home-canned and store bought canned), and they are much more "done" than any I've had at someone else's house cooked from fresh beans or at a restaurant. I now buy frozen green beans, which are raw until cooked (vs. canned beans which are already cooked). I've learned to cook them until they turn a much darker green. If I only cook them until they just start turning darker, they're still not done enough for my taste.

When you say "too hard to eat" do you mean they were not soft enough? I grew up eating canned green beans (both home-canned and store bought canned), and they are much more "done" than any I've had at someone else's house cooked from fresh beans or at a restaurant. I now buy frozen green beans, which are raw until cooked (vs. canned beans which are already cooked). I've learned to cook them until they turn a much darker green. If I only cook them until they just start turning darker, they're still not done enough for my taste.

Yes, that is what I meant, not soft enough for my taste. I always get them when we eat out, and now that you mention it, they are a darker green. I guess they needed to steam a little longer. I would eat the canned green beans if we still ate canned food, and if DH would touch them. That is what I grew up eating.

If they like spicy, maybe you could make Mulligatawny? You can put in almost any veggie. We put in torn up pieces of a hard baguette, which kids seem to like. Here's a thread with a few recipes: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142551&highlight=mulligatawny

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mulligatawny-Soup-II/Detail.aspx

There's a lot of versions out there...

What's nice about it is that there's bound to be some veggies in it you like. :001_smile:

If they like spicy, maybe you could make Mulligatawny? You can put in almost any veggie. We put in torn up pieces of a hard baguette, which kids seem to like. Here's a thread with a few recipes: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142551&highlight=mulligatawny

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mulligatawny-Soup-II/Detail.aspx

There's a lot of versions out there...

What's nice about it is that there's bound to be some veggies in it you like. :001_smile:

I checked out your links. Mulligatawny sounds yummy. What does it taste like? Is there anything you would compare it to? I like all the ingredients, except for the ones I've never tried- lentils and cardamom.

I checked out your links. Mulligatawny sounds yummy. What does it taste like? Is there anything you would compare it to? I like all the ingredients, except for the ones I've never tried- lentils and cardamom.

It's coconuty, spicy (to taste), it's hearty, the lemon and fresh cilantro give it a fresh kick. I'm not sure what to compare it to. I learned the recipe from Sri Lankan friends, so I'd say it's a more South Indian flavor as opposed to North Indian, (fresh/tropical as opposed to heavy).

I use pink lentils, which are yummy, and if you've ever had chai, you've had cardamom. I don't use it in my Mulligatawny, but I use it in a lot of other recipes. It's a wonderful pod with a unique powerful flavor, it's also medicinal.

I remember one time a friend came to dinner, and my mom cooked a full Sri Lankan spread. He started to get this horrible (hilarious) look on his face.. he had eaten the whole pods! Oh my gosh, we laughed so hard that night. You need to remove them (like a bay leaf), his taste buds were wrecked for the night, but we still laugh about it.

My kids like broccoli stir fried with garlic, green beans cooked in a sort of tomato sauce (cook til they're as soft as you want them), and spinach pies (or spinach / other greens cooked with garlic; the spinach pies tend to be lemony as well).

Lentils are pretty bland. Like a very soft bean or something.

Cardamom is hard to describe but it's almost eucalyptus-y, in a good way.

One of my kids loves plain food. So plain peas are a hit, but you know, I like peas in a spicy tomato sauce a LOT.

Green beans are really yummy sauteed in a little sesame oil with some sesame seeds thrown in there.

Of course, the way I am most used to eating them is fresh, broken up and put in crock pot with some new potatoes and maybe a piece of ham. Many times when I was growing up with or without the ham, this would be the main dish of a meal in the summer served with sliced tomatoes and cornbread. Still one of my favorites.